Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest Paint-to-Sample Approved Colors List from PAG (as of July, 2014)

Old 07-11-2014, 11:14 AM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
'Birch Green' and 'Lichtgrün' are one and the same. It is a 1974/1975 historical early 911 color that could be special order from the factory at that time! Today's PTS 'Lichtgrün' has the same color code (253) as the old 1974/1975 'Birch Green/Lichtgrün', so that is very significant & tells you it's the same color too!

PAG, however, made the mistake to give it a new English name when they approved this color for PTS in the late 997 period! So they translated Lichtgrün as 'Light Green' and forgot that historically the English name for this color was 'Birch Green'. See the attached sample color piece from 'Porsche Exclusive' at Zuffenhausen which I tool last year (photos #1 & #2)!

A bit of brain fade...or simply the lack of historical perspective from some of the younger folks that presently run 'Porsche Exclusive' (see photo #3 of 'Birch Green/Lichtgrün' color selections in 1974/1975)

Yes that gt3 RS was indeed 'Birch Green/Lichtgrün' and custom ordered by the fine folks at Pioneer/Porsche of San Diego. It arrived late March/early April of 2011. It came with a beautiful book with its production progress that is an option at 'Porsche Exclusive' whenever you order a PTS Porsche (see photo #4 & #5). I should talk more about that in my 'Custom Ordering' thread. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Thanks for the clarification.
Rich
Old 07-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
looks like you can do a PTS on the 911, boxster, cayman, 918, panamera but not available for macan or cayenne? Did Porsche ever do a PTS on the cayenne?
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
PTS was never available on the Cayenne, as they have always been painted at the VW factory in Bratislava, Slovakia. And with future plans for it to be built entirely outside of Germany, it will probably never be available.
While it may be true PTS has not been available on the Cayenne, there is a possibility that the VW-owned facility at Bratislava where the Cayenne will be produced entirely beginning in 2016 might have that capability by then! The 981 Caymans are built at the VW-owed Karmann facility in Osnabrück and initially didn't offer PTS on that model. But for MY2015, PTS has arrived for the Cayman...and production of those examples will likely occur at Karmann-Osnabrück! So PTS could happen to the Cayenne at Bratislava too!

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
As Porsche continues to pursue sales volume, it will be interesting to see how they balance their Porsche Exclusive marketing and mainstream models like the Macan. As it is painted in Leipzig like the Panamera, I expect theoretically it could get PTS as an option. But with production still ramping up, and looking like demand will exceed supply for the foreseeable future, it may be a while (if ever).
The little known fact* is that all PANAMERA bodies are built & supplied FULLY PAINTED by the VW-owned plant in Hanover, Germany! So Panamera shells are currently constructed, welded and painted all OUTSIDE of Leipzig! Yet that Hanover facility apparently has the ability to do paint-to-sample, so that is why PTS is indeed offered on the Panamera (albeit more expensive than in the 991/981)! The Macan is apparently all done at Leipzig. PAG has heavily invested in a new state-of-the-art paint facility at that location (see photo #1). What is about to change is 2016 at Leipzig is the following:

1) Cayenne assembly will be moved out of Leipzig to Bratislava. That model will now be entirely done at that VW-owned facility in Slovakia (starting 2016).

2) Panamera bodies will be now built & painted in Leipzig (alongside Macans), instead of Hanover. So all Panameras will be built, painted & assembled at Leipzig (starting 2016)!

Given the investment made in the new paint facility at Leipzig, and the fact that Panamera's are already can be ordered PTS, I expect that both Panameras and Macan will be offered with PTS at Leipzig by 2016 at the latest. And PTS might arrive with the Macan even earlier, perhaps in 2015! That is good news for those that want their Macan done in PTS. And, like I said before, it would not surprise me if Bratislava adds the ability to do PTS Cayennes by that date too!

I am confident that PTS will endure & prosper at Porsche on all models, not just those currently available with this option! And I am normally a very pessimistic fellow on most subjects, especially politics!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*It is also not commonly known that all Bentley GT Continentals bodies are built and painted in Germany at a VW-owned facility in Zwickau, then shipped to Crewe, England for assembly. So this type of arrangement is not uncommon in the VW Group!

Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2014, 01:15 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Unverifiable claim by a poster (apolo1) on PH: liquid metallic chrome blue paint (from 918) approved for PTS for his upcoming 991 RS. Interesting if true, although this does seem pretty out there given the RS not yet unveiled publicly...
Old 07-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Unverifiable claim by a poster (apolo1) on PH: liquid metallic chrome blue paint (from 918) approved for PTS for his upcoming 991 RS. Interesting if true, although this does seem pretty out there given the RS not yet unveiled publicly...
Firstly, I don't have much faith in that Apolo1 guy and secondly, isn't that a $60,000 option on the 918 ?? Can't imagine that paint would be a PTS option for us mere mortals..

Old 07-11-2014, 04:02 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Firstly, I don't have much faith in that Apolo1 guy and secondly, isn't that a $60,000 option on the 918 ?? Can't imagine that paint would be a PTS option for us mere mortals..

Yes, that's exactly the option. Maybe he's some sort of VIP. OTOH maybe it's all a bit far-fetched... Just thought it was an interesting idea nonetheless. I would love to see a car in that colour.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
I think I popped that same question along time ago in another thread, if indeed the liquid metal colors will be a possible option for other models, specifically the GT models. Good for him, if it is true. I bet it will be stunning! It will probably also not be a $63,000 option like on the 918...possibly 10 or 20K less...just a guess.

What would interest me far, far more would be if the same type of process/layering/10+ coats of paint could be developed or offered with other paint colors? Example: the new GT3RS is rumored to be launched in a 'burnt orange' color or a 'metallic burnt orange' color. Imagine the presentation that kind of paint would make using the same magnetic alignment and deep coat process as the liquid metal silver paint.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:49 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Last week I asked the "exclusiv" rep in Zuffenhausen whether that blue color on the 918 would become available on any other models... he laughed and said "no way."
Old 07-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren99
I was curious about that book showing the RS when I saw it earlier. So that's something you can order with a PTS car? Does Porsche Exclusive still offer that? Thanks again for all the info on PTS.
I believe it is. But it's not advertised and nobody here in the US seems to know about it or order it. But that is true for many 'Porsche Exclusive' options. That is why I started my threads on the subject.

In addition, it's very expensive. I believe it's nearly $1K.

Originally Posted by eilig
Last week I asked the "exclusiv" rep in Zuffenhausen whether that blue color on the 918 would become available on any other models... he laughed and said "no way."
Eilig: Are you self-censoring your posts? Are you sure the 'Porsche Exclusive' rep's full answer was not actually: 'No f***ing way any sane & rational 991 owner would ever pay $63K for a f***ing paint option'!!! Come on, you can be frank with us!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-11-2014, 09:31 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z356
In addition, it's very expensive. I believe it's nearly $1K.
To be fair, there's no way most sane and rational 991 owners would pay $1k for a book either!! And I suppose it's conceivable that comparable paint options would cost more on a 918 (case in point: lift). So, I secretly hope that it would be possible and that someone just audacious enough could get the liquid metal paint on a GT3/RS!
Old 07-12-2014, 04:09 PM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Eduardo, thanks much for all your education on PTS, and the list of approved colors. Sure is a shame that dealers either don't know this info or don't want to share it. My experience in purchasing 12 new Porsches from 4 different dealers tells me one of the two must be true.
Finally with your education I'm going to get my long wanted Blue PTS Porsche- 991GT3 (after all in line get theirs first).
Your help would be appreciated in describing for me the differences you see in the following approved colors: Mexico Blue, Maritime Blue, Voodoo Blue and Bahama Blue? I've seen Mexico and Maritime (which appears to have more violet in the blue), but have never seen Voodoo or Bahama. Don't want to trust just a picture on a monitor..
Thanks for your, and others insights.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:50 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT
...Your help would be appreciated in describing for me the differences you see in the following approved colors: Mexico Blue, Maritime Blue, Voodoo Blue and Bahama Blue? I've seen Mexico and Maritime (which appears to have more violet in the blue), but have never seen Voodoo or Bahama. Don't want to trust just a picture on a monitor..
Thanks for your, and others insights.
I've read that Voodoo Blue was a standard choice for Toyota FJ Cruisers, which we've all seen but didn't realize would be highly desirable color on a 911. To erase any thoughts about Toyotas, here's a pic of Voodoo Blue 4.0 RS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Latest Paint-to-Sample Approved Colors List from PAG (as of July, 2014)