Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Fashion Grey vs White GT3
White
61.70%
Fashion Grey
38.30%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Fashion Grey vs White GT3 what you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 02:34 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A few other photos to show how different lighting conditions affect the appearance of fashion grey (I believe these are all the same colour in a number of different 911s and a Cayman). I actually switched my final colour selection to fashion grey after agonizing over this choice for a really long time--one of only a few potential upsides of the stop sale was that I changed (mostly added) a few on-the-fence options and changed PTS colour. I had previously chosen grigiocampovolo, a very very very close colour (slightly less yellow to my eyes) but without the Porsche heritage (it's a colour used on early Fiat Abarths) and a little less rich in tone (more like primer in some ways). Personally, I wanted a non-metallic colour that was unassuming and rather un-flashy. Fashion grey is a colour that would look terribly flat IMO on pretty much any other car, but somehow to me it looks great on the GT3 (even more so than on other 911s). What clinched it for me was I liked how geyser grey looked on the 50th--retro but also modern at the same time. I wanted something a little less common than the standard colours (I had heard all the other allocations in my city were white initially, but now there are at least a yellow and black), but with the ease of everyday care that silver brings since this will be my daily driver for most of the year. Plus, I'll likely be parking this car in public lots all the time and in the end didn't need the unwanted attention a brighter colour would bring. Finally, my wife ixnayed the bright PTS blues and yellows I was also considering (the extreme opposite--I think the GT3 can do both ends of the spectrum amazingly well). Those were my justifications. But pick whatever makes you happy, not what other people would prefer.
Attached Images           
Old 07-05-2014, 04:02 PM
G55amg
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
A few other photos to show how different lighting conditions affect the appearance of fashion grey (I believe these are all the same colour in a number of different 911s and a Cayman). I actually switched my final colour selection to fashion grey after agonizing over this choice for a really long time--one of only a few potential upsides of the stop sale was that I changed (mostly added) a few on-the-fence options and changed PTS colour. I had previously chosen grigiocampovolo, a very very very close colour (slightly less yellow to my eyes) but without the Porsche heritage (it's a colour used on early Fiat Abarths) and a little less rich in tone (more like primer in some ways). Personally, I wanted a non-metallic colour that was unassuming and rather un-flashy. Fashion grey is a colour that would look terribly flat IMO on pretty much any other car, but somehow to me it looks great on the GT3 (even more so than on other 911s). What clinched it for me was I liked how geyser grey looked on the 50th--retro but also modern at the same time. I wanted something a little less common than the standard colours (I had heard all the other allocations in my city were white initially, but now there are at least a yellow and black), but with the ease of everyday care that silver brings since this will be my daily driver for most of the year. Plus, I'll likely be parking this car in public lots all the time and in the end didn't need the unwanted attention a brighter colour would bring. Finally, my wife ixnayed the bright PTS blues and yellows I was also considering (the extreme opposite--I think the GT3 can do both ends of the spectrum amazingly well). Those were my justifications. But pick whatever makes you happy, not what other people would prefer.
When are you getting your car?
Will love to see pictures of it?
Thanks for the info
Old 07-05-2014, 07:17 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm considering this as well. I'm curious, are you also considering Dolphin Grey? It seems to be very similar to Fashion Grey but I can't say for sure since I've never seen either color in person.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:29 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by RossL
I'm considering this as well. I'm curious, are you also considering Dolphin Grey? It seems to be very similar to Fashion Grey but I can't say for sure since I've never seen either color in person.
Yes, I have seen photos of dolphin grey and thought about it, but seeing as it is not already an approved PTS colour for the 911 AFAIK, I did not want to risk losing my PTS allocation by going through the formal process of testing and obtaining permission for this colour. But, I'm betting it would look great, and it would be awesome if you or someone else were able to get this colour approved. If you're really interested in a few colours, it's usually possible to get a local paint shop to paint a few items in those colours for you to compare--might be worth it to you if you have the time and are still undecided.

Originally Posted by G55amg
When are you getting your car?
Will love to see pictures of it?
Thanks for the info
My pleasure, and I hope it helped your decision-making. I'm probably not going to see my car until January and would be happy to post photos when I take delivery. Chances are that will be too late for you to decide, as the PTS window will likely close by then for the GT3. I imagine there will be others (conekilr, and anyone else with a fashion grey car already ordered) who may get their car earlier than mine too. So I suspect there will be lots of photos in the next few months.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:32 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's the decision? Fashion Grey or White? If I can get a decent timeframe for a PTS slot I will most likely get it for my GT3 and later GT3 RS if I like it.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Yes, I have seen photos of dolphin grey and thought about it, but seeing as it is not already an approved PTS colour for the 911 AFAIK, I did not want to risk losing my PTS allocation by going through the formal process of testing and obtaining permission for this colour. But, I'm betting it would look great, and it would be awesome if you or someone else were able to get this colour approved. If you're really interested in a few colours, it's usually possible to get a local paint shop to paint a few items in those colours for you to compare--might be worth it to you if you have the time and are still undecided.

My pleasure, and I hope it helped your decision-making. I'm probably not going to see my car until January and would be happy to post photos when I take delivery. Chances are that will be too late for you to decide, as the PTS window will likely close by then for the GT3. I imagine there will be others (conekilr, and anyone else with a fashion grey car already ordered) who may get their car earlier than mine too. So I suspect there will be lots of photos in the next few months.
<3mph, like you I changed my PTS selection from Fashion Grey to Gulf Blue when my build was moved to a 2015 allocation. My build date is October with a December delivery. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your FG GT3 when it arrives..

Old 07-06-2014, 12:29 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Conekilr
<3mph, like you I changed my PTS selection from Fashion Grey to Gulf Blue when my build was moved to a 2015 allocation. My build date is October with a December delivery. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your FG GT3 when it arrives..

Wow, that is an unbelievable twist!! I guess there was destined to be a fashion grey GT3 somewhere in Canada! I'll definitely post photos when I get my car. Please post yours too--you picked a really amazing colour choice in gulf blue!!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Fashion grey is a very nice color.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:52 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I've seen that Fashion Grey Carrera S at Park Place in person and it is much nicer in person than in pictures. But of course, white is better.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Fashion grey is nice but does not pop like white. But, if you are looking to do some thing a little different; why not?. It is certainly more subtle than the white but for $5500 would you not want more 'bling" for your "buck"

Quick Reply: Fashion Grey vs White GT3 what you guys think?