On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only. - Page 5 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Reply

Old 07-13-2014, 02:19 PM
  #61  
MaxLTV
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
MaxLTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Vancouver and San Francisco
Posts: 2,420
Default

Another nice track day with GT3. I was not able to put down a good clean lap because of traffic and then fatigue later in the day, but I got much better feel for the car now.

I intentionally destabilized the car in some turns to practice catching it and rotating it with power and with lifting, which helped a lot with my confidence and feel for the car. I'm still entering some turns with less speed than the car can take - I can see in data logs that pre-apex Gs are lower than post-apex, which usually means over-slowing the car on entry. Something to work on next. But the progress is going to be much faster now that I'm not as worried about not letting the rear come around. Also need to work on smoothness - with higher speeds than I'm used too, it's harder to be smooth.

I got some right-seat instruction from 24Chromium, and he was very impressed with the car (he drives a cup car, so is not easily impressed). It's extremely fast and capable. Some compared it to pacman eating other Porsches on the track. No heat issues, even tire wear, brakes solid all day - nothing to complain about. I also need just one feel-up vs. 3 I had to do in M3.

Huge thanks to 24Chromium for instruction and to Chasen & SP Motorsport for track support and setting up the car.

Here is a video. Still working on my set up - did not have time to sort it out last week. But sound is much better this time (external mic inside the car).


I ran all day in Auto shifting with manual downshift when it got a wrong gear (it did happen a few times). Ran most laps with nannies on, but only got noticeable interference a couple of times. It's very lenient for moderately aggressive driver. Tried some laps with stability off traction on - not huge difference, but ABS seems to be less intrusive allowing better brake feel and slightly shorter brake distances.
MaxLTV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:23 PM
  #62  
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SamFromTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,128
Default

Originally Posted by MaxLTV View Post
Another nice track day with GT3. I was not able to put down a good clean lap because of traffic and then fatigue later in the day, but I got much better feel for the car now.

I intentionally destabilized the car in some turns to practice catching it and rotating it with power and with lifting, which helped a lot with my confidence and feel for the car. I'm still entering some turns with less speed than the car can take - I can see in data logs that pre-apex Gs are lower than post-apex, which usually means over-slowing the car on entry. Something to work on next. But the progress is going to be much faster now that I'm not as worried about not letting the rear come around. Also need to work on smoothness - with higher speeds than I'm used too, it's harder to be smooth.

I got some right-seat instruction from 24Chromium, and he was very impressed with the car (he drives a cup car, so is not easily impressed). It's extremely fast and capable. Some compared it to pacman eating other Porsches on the track. No heat issues, even tire wear, brakes solid all day - nothing to complain about. I also need just one feel-up vs. 3 I had to do in M3.

Huge thanks to 24Chromium for instruction and to Chasen & SP Motorsport for track support and setting up the car.

Here is a video. Still working on my set up - did not have time to sort it out last week. But sound is much better this time (external mic inside the car).


I ran all day in Auto shifting with manual downshift when it got a wrong gear (it did happen a few times). Ran most laps with nannies on, but only got noticeable interference a couple of times. It's very lenient for moderately aggressive driver. Tried some laps with stability off traction on - not huge difference, but ABS seems to be less intrusive allowing better brake feel and slightly shorter brake distances.
Very nice, Max. Looks like you are getting more used to the car for sure.
SamFromTX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:52 PM
  #63  
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SamFromTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,128
Default Here is my video from yesterday, with a few more cars on track.

SamFromTX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:46 PM
  #64  
Nick
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: La Jolla
Posts: 3,368
Default

I am envious. Your cars sound terrific and the track venues are perfect. Ample bailout areas and straights long enough to pass and gather speed.
Nick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:53 PM
  #65  
0Q991
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
0Q991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,708
Default

Originally Posted by SamFromTX View Post
Thanks, Sam. Love the point-by's.
0Q991 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:14 PM
  #66  
TrackFan
User
 
TrackFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 411
Default

Nice driving Sam.

You run the car hard. What brakes are you using, and what sort of life are you getting from them?

Thanks.
TrackFan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:20 PM
  #67  
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SamFromTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,128
Default

Originally Posted by TrackFan View Post
Nice driving Sam.

You run the car hard. What brakes are you using, and what sort of life are you getting from them?

Thanks.
Thanks. I am running Pagid yellow (R29) pads. Don't know life yet as I have only done 2 1/2 hrs of track time (1 day and a little). OEM had to be replaced after 4 or 5 track days (before stop sale) because of unequal (tapered) wear on the fronts. I plan to check the Pagids after 2 or 3 track days and flip them if needed.
SamFromTX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:31 PM
  #68  
rubbaman
User
 
rubbaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hunt Valley, MD
Posts: 1,007
Default

Thanks Sam! Nice stuff!
rubbaman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 PM
  #69  
Macca
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Macca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 14,138
Default

Sam. Great reviews and video. Arte you finding the R29 excessively noise on the road? I noted that the stock pads start squealing a little after 4-5 days of daily driving once they dust up a bit anyway...
Macca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:37 PM
  #70  
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SamFromTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,128
Default

Originally Posted by rubbaman View Post
Thanks Sam! Nice stuff!
Thanks, Rob. I love this car. Check the trip counter pic (miles since new engine). I was pleasantly surprised to see the counter go to four digit and not reset after 999.
Attached Images  
SamFromTX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:43 PM
  #71  
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SamFromTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,128
Default

Originally Posted by Macca View Post
Sam. Great reviews and video. Arte you finding the R29 excessively noise on the road? I noted that the stock pads start squealing a little after 4-5 days of daily driving once they dust up a bit anyway...
Not yet!! With my C4S, they were very noisy on the road. On the GT3, the OEM pads were noisy like you describe but not terrible. I have about 160-180 track miles on the Pagids and a total of over 1,300 miles. Minimal noise so far. I had my mechanic put some of that very gooey pad stuff behind the pad plates to see if it helps. I don't know if that did the trick, if it's because the GT3 rotors are different, just luck or a matter of time before the squealing begins.
SamFromTX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:11 PM
  #72  
frayed
Super User
 
frayed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,972
Default

Sam. Great vids! Let's meet up at TWS before they bulldoze the complex. I *must* have one last run there.
frayed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:19 PM
  #73  
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SamFromTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,128
Default

Originally Posted by frayed View Post
Sam. Great vids! Let's meet up at TWS before they bulldoze the complex. I *must* have one last run there.
Is one allowed there without membership or event? I've never been but am dying to go as the car should really shine there. I know Driver's Edge are hosting a DE event there Sept but I am tied up with work (again) that weekend. If there is another way, I would love to meet up and drive it. My understanding is that come next summer, it goes
SamFromTX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:42 PM
  #74  
frayed
Super User
 
frayed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,972
Default

Yeah, it's being dozed for a housing development.

I can get with some folks and look into a private track day event. Are you flexible during the week?
frayed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:50 PM
  #75  
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SamFromTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,128
Default

Originally Posted by frayed View Post
Yeah, it's being dozed for a housing development.

I can get with some folks and look into a private track day event. Are you flexible during the week?
Only on Thursdays with a few days notice. Out of town first week of August.
SamFromTX is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: