Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:37 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
SP Motorsport. PM me or Mooty for contact info if interested.
Wasn't there an issue with that style of tip melting a bumper? I'm concerned about running at Laguna with the factory exhaust, but don't want to sacrifice my bumper to do it.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:45 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-11-2014, 07:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Wasn't there an issue with that style of tip melting a bumper? I'm concerned about running at Laguna with the factory exhaust, but don't want to sacrifice my bumper to do it.
Bumper melting was addressed by extending heat shield a bit but a reflector in the bumper got slightly deformed last time I ran at Laguna. They are going to update the design to address that too. It's a cheap part, but replacing it after every Laguna track day is obviously not an option.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Lifting at the sound check seems like a reasonable solution to me.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:58 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Great video, Sam. I was there a few weeks ago. Sadly my GT3 got held up at the border so I rented a C7 Vette. The track & facility were awesome (and Chin ran a great event). It poured rain all weekend so having a rental on SuperSports wasn’t such a bad thing to learn the track. Definitely looking forward to going back with my own car though (especially after watching your video).
It's a truly awesome track. Our forecast was for rain but we got lucky. And I just learnt from a more track experienced friend of mine who also drove COTA a few times before that his time in his GT3 was 2:27:10, so the car is fast. I may do Chin in January, are you going?
Old 12-12-2014, 09:36 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
It's a truly awesome track. Our forecast was for rain but we got lucky. And I just learnt from a more track experienced friend of mine who also drove COTA a few times before that his time in his GT3 was 2:27:10, so the car is fast. I may do Chin in January, are you going?
I can’t do the January event but a couple of my friends will be there. Maybe in the Spring for me.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:59 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Bumper melting was addressed by extending heat shield a bit but a reflector in the bumper got slightly deformed last time I ran at Laguna. They are going to update the design to address that too. It's a cheap part, but replacing it after every Laguna track day is obviously not an option.
Which shop? PM works. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:40 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Default Red mist strikes again :(

Chasing the same track modded Z06 with a modified and bored C5R engine, 600+ hp at RW, Hossiers. Glad the grip gods intervened.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:52 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. That Miata. Almost a mess.

Nice save and nice driving.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:57 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Yikes! that looked close. I've only been to MSR once, but seems after he passed the Miata, the Z06 should have stayed on the inside line and just slowed enough to make the corner. Looked like he tried to get back to his normal turn in point and probably upset the car with all that motion. Oh, and he should have pointed you by way before!
Old 12-14-2014, 01:11 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by zedcat
Yikes! that looked close. I've only been to MSR once, but seems after he passed the Miata, the Z06 should have stayed on the inside line and just slowed enough to make the corner. Looked like he tried to get back to his normal turn in point and probably upset the car with all that motion. Oh, and he should have pointed you by way before!
Watching the Vette make me firmly believe how much grippier Hoosiers are.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Chasing the same track modded Z06 with a modified and bored C5R engine, 600+ hp at RW, Hossiers. Glad the grip gods intervened. Video Link: http://vimeo.com/114453404
Vette should have pointed you by. Typical ego crap seen at hpdes, unfortunately
Old 12-14-2014, 01:23 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Tough too draw any conclusion fro the video other than that vette driver had waaaay more car than skill. How has he not taken someone out yet? He was all over the place, and braking sometimes mid corner, or all the way to the apex. Wow. Maybe in TX everyone is too nice to tell him to go back to the beginner group and maybe try a Miata?
Old 12-14-2014, 03:25 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
This. Vette's move to the outside after the pass was a bonehead move. (Quite sure he has never raced.) His driving skills were not that good either. He should have pointed you buy. If someone's still on your a** after a full lap, then he's probably faster -- let him go and try to learn something from him before he drives off. Even if you are even and he can't drive off after the pass, pointing each other by allows both to learn from the other on the sections that he's faster than you. Plus it's more fun.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:51 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Vette should have pointed you by. Typical ego crap seen at hpdes, unfortunately
Tough too draw any conclusion fro the video other than that vette driver had waaaay more car than skill. How has he not taken someone out yet? He was all over the place, and braking sometimes mid corner, or all the way to the apex. Wow. Maybe in TX everyone is too nice to tell him to go back to the beginner group and maybe try a Miata?
Originally Posted by hf1
This. Vette's move to the outside after the pass was a bonehead move. (Quite sure he has never raced.) His driving skills were not that good either. He should have pointed you buy. If someone's still on your a** after a full lap, then he's probably faster -- let him go and try to learn something from him before he drives off.
This is how he is, always. It became pointless to talk to him. That HPDE used to allow passing anywhere with a point in the red group but has now taken that away because of one particular driver.....

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.