Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:22 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 560 Posts

Here is one vid. I had couple of slides and dropped a wheel in the middle of the lap and was timid after that.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:53 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Ok, here are my summary from the first track day past engine replacement. First, I got several laps in mid 3.33.xx. I'm stocked about it because I'm not good with learning new tracks and have completely forgotten how to drive this car, so I was just hoping to be under 4 minutes.

Unfortunately the 3.33 laps did not make it on video because the ipod I used for video recording overheated after 2-3 laps after two morning sessions. I only have GPS log from external GPS. But I made a bunch of 3.36 vids while ipod still worked (uploading right now). Best theoretical lap 3.32.0, and that's just with 4 sections. I'll try to split it up by turn to get the best possible theoretical, just to get my inconsistency out of the picture.

It was a very hot day with a lot of sand on the track. But the car performed like a champ.

Some impressions:
Coolant and oil stayed cool despite high heat (it got to 99.5F in the shade). Oil got to 239 once but got down to 225 before I got to pits with barely any cooldown. I was not gunning it all the way, but the car has seen redline a few times.

Brakes with stock pads and fluid were rock-solid at the track and no change in feel or stopping power but the pedal got a just bit softer then the car parked. It has happened before. It does not bother me, but interesting.

Tires wore very evenly. I was wearing outsides before but this time I tried more camber at the front (2.7) and a bit more pressure (30 and 34 hot), and the wear was great. Car shakes a bit side to side under heavy breaking. I had similar feel on my M3 when running PSS tires, so I think it might be PSC2 tires (similar dual-compound structure as PSS).

The track suspension setting now does not change steering feel (I swear, it used to!). Now steering wheel has tiny road vibrations always, not just in stiff suspension mode.

I drove in auto most of the time to focus on the line - many turns still surprised me. I found one issue with it - when I coasted at partial trottle a bit, it lowered shift points and would not downshift, running the engine at 4-5K RPM. It's great when pushed though.

Manual shifting is difficult on a new track because gears are very close and red line comes very quickly. I could have used shift lights.

The sound is unbelievable. Many people stopped by just to compliment it.

With higher camber at the front, it oversteers like crazy when coasting off throttle. Maintenance throttle is absolutely required. In fact, I can see a clear case for left foot braking to avoid even a moment of coasting in high-speed corners.

Very happy with the car
Thanks - this is excellent feedback!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice. Too bad you don't no sound. Love it. Thanks for sharing your feedback as well. All make my wait easier.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:47 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is one vid. I had couple of slides and dropped a wheel in the middle of the lap and was timid after that.

This is so awesome, thanks for sharing. This appears to be a fantastic track but it would take me forever to memorize all the blind corners. Good job and thanks again for sharing.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:44 PM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Since I have a set of Forgelines I called them to see if they fit my incoming 991 gt3 and the answer was no t he centerlock hubs are different.

Anyone care to give us more detail?
Spoke with est8esq few wks back.. Said forgeline is using his 991 gt3 for new prototype 19"
C/L wheel.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by alaint101
Thanks - this is excellent feedback!
+1 LOL at 2:40 :-)
Great to read what does and what does not seems to interfere or be weird. Left for braking hmm...

Originally Posted by Fadi1
Very nice. Too bad you don't no sound. Love it. Thanks for sharing your feedback as well. All make my wait easier.
Yes, sound please, and too bad we can't see steering wheel input.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:40 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

My microphone battery died. I left it on since last track day - it worked when I tested it, but then died right away. I got a couple of laps on internal ipod microphone. Not spectacular sound others have, but at least something.

I'll figure out the mounting point where hands are visible for the next time. I'm still not good with corrections in this car - it takes much more aggressive countersteering than my M3 needs, so I end up not correcting enough right away, hence the drifting instead of just straightening the car.

Here is one vid with some sound

Old 07-06-2014, 02:36 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

Awesome sound even with crappy iPhone mic.

Are you on MSCP2's?
Old 07-06-2014, 02:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks Max, the tires don't seem to be very forgiving at the limit. Seem to let go and grip again.

Ever feel the RWS?
Did you find benefits to shifting yourself or is it really telepathic enough that it is in the right gear enough to just put all your focus on braking (left foot?) and steering?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:30 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Yes, it's PSC2 tires. The loss of grip is much more abrupt than in my other car, but I cannot tell if it's the car or the tires. I may try a set of PSS next - those are very forgiving, so that should give another data point. But it may be the car and the way I drive it. In M3 I am used to lifting a bit to tighten the arc - slight lift, rear slowly starts sliding out, add throttle back, and it stops sliding. Here I also need to countersteer to stop all but tiniest slides of rear. It's more challenging but more fun, I think. But it's nothing crazy - I'm just used to driving a more drift-friendly car.

Regarding shifting - it was perfect except when I was going partial throttle for a bit (even couple of seconds). It then re-adapted and started using one gear too high. It was very annoying when waiting for a place to pass a slower car, and then after passing having it shift all wrong for 1-2 turns.

If I knew the track and/or had shift lights, I would just shift manually.

Never could tell RWS was there. Very sharp steering response, almost no waiting for car to settle when switching steering directions.

I did not try left foot braking - it was a bit too much going on without adding more variables.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:17 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Yes, it's PSC2 tires. The loss of grip is much more abrupt than in my other car, but I cannot tell if it's the car or the tires. I may try a set of PSS next - those are very forgiving, so that should give another data point. But it may be the car and the way I drive it. In M3 I am used to lifting a bit to tighten the arc - slight lift, rear slowly starts sliding out, add throttle back, and it stops sliding. Here I also need to countersteer to stop all but tiniest slides of rear. It's more challenging but more fun, I think. But it's nothing crazy - I'm just used to driving a more drift-friendly car.

Regarding shifting - it was perfect except when I was going partial throttle for a bit (even couple of seconds). It then re-adapted and started using one gear too high. It was very annoying when waiting for a place to pass a slower car, and then after passing having it shift all wrong for 1-2 turns.

If I knew the track and/or had shift lights, I would just shift manually.

Never could tell RWS was there. Very sharp steering response, almost no waiting for car to settle when switching steering directions.

I did not try left foot braking - it was a bit too much going on without adding more variables.
Very nice, Max. Do you have stock alignment? On the track, and to get full benefit from the PSC2, the car needs a lot more negative camber.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:19 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

I just remembered that I have a track video from earlier in the year, with PCA. It is possible I posted it before on another thread. Should I post that or is this thread mainly for new engine? If the latter, I'm hoping to post a new video later this week.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Post it, or a link to your original thread.
We need all the track junkies first adopters' feedback..

Ideally before I lock in the RS build
Old 07-06-2014, 06:49 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Post it, or a link to your original thread.
We need all the track junkies first adopters' feedback..

Ideally before I lock in the RS build
Perfect, here's the link to that video. It was cool so tires needed a couple of laps to warm up. I have more negative camber than stock, around -3.1 front and -2.5 rears. Hot tire pressures that worked best for me back then was F/R 28/29
Old 07-06-2014, 10:10 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pre-Engine replacement

This was taken back in January.

I'd suggest fast forwarding past the warm up lap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.