Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:24 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Max, thanks for thinking of me :-)
If you really want to impress me throw a VBox in it please, C'mon it will help you tremendously along with a coach for a weekend or 2!!
I'm definitely getting a coach whenever I get a chance. But not sure about Vbox - doesn't it record the same stuff? I have a data log with G-forces, speed, yaw, pedal positions and steering input. What more can I get from Vbox?
Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Maybe I don't know Harry's laptimer well enough but look at each corner entry speed, RPM, V min Vmax exiting each sector, brake throttle input, steering input etc.

Overlay differen laps and with different drivers running same data.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Maybe I don't know Harry's laptimer well enough but look at each corner entry speed, RPM, V min Vmax exiting each sector, brake throttle input, steering input etc.

Overlay differen laps and with different drivers running same data.
Yeah, I can do that now. That's how I saw I was over-braking - my entry Gs or sometimes entire corner Gs were too low, and there was some coasting before turn in when I realised I slowed down too much.

I'll look at Vbox and AIM software again to see if it makes it easier.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:54 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice video, Max.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great stuff Max. Still plenty of time on the table by the looks. You dont need ESC on in the 991 GT3 (however I used it on my first session with the car also just to see how intrusive it was - not very it seems). You can use the paddles to override the auto anytime so effectively you could hold the box in a lower gear when you get that ESC intervention if you wish - I suspect the box changing up is part of the ESC thing to reduce torque to the rear wheels.

Peter is talking about Vbox producing stuff like below (this is just a screen shot but you can hover over any point to determine precise data). AIM does same through RaceStudio2 software it cmes bundles with. Both run on PC. They are just a bit easier and detailed than HLT and you can download other drivers data and compare to your own using the software to learn where you are loosing time etc.

Coming to a new car and a new platform (especially 911) isnt easy and takes some time to learn the dynamics. You definately need to do some seat time at your favourite track with a 911 owning instructor to better understand the dynamics of the platform but you are picking it up pretty fast I reckon and with the tuition and a bit more time (heat management of tyres etc also important and geo) will easily shave 3s a lap of that time next time out....
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2014, 12:37 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Max, get an AiM unit so we can share/compare data.
The guys are right, the real value is in the graph data and doing comparisons.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:29 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Quick question regarding GoPro mounting. I'm not having any luck with mounting a GoPro on my leather dash. The GoPro suction cup mount doesn't work. Any suggestions?
Old 08-26-2014, 01:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Thanks Macca. The data i only can learn from by really spendigtime on it or even better with a coach. Mot of the time i just look at segment times and look at the video what was different, but once 0.01 second scounts it gets difficult. the beauty of vbox is that its all ready on sd card right after the session so you can look straight out of the car, remebering whta the car did that lap that corner. if others on track hav the same system all it takes is copy paste to put 4 sessions of data with all laps side by side including video.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:12 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Quick question regarding GoPro mounting. I'm not having any luck with mounting a GoPro on my leather dash. The GoPro suction cup mount doesn't work. Any suggestions?
First thought: anything not secured in the cabin is a projectile and you have to decide if you want it thrown at your eye at 100mph.

For everyday street driving, maybe not on the track, you could use a gel suction mount, or at least use a tether.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of these in the truck and it sticks to the dash where normal suction cups don't hold a vacuum at all.

For the track, use a real suction with an indicator and rated load tolerance with a wire tether so it can't reach you.

http://www.filmtools.com/filmtools-i...era-mount.html

Note the pump plunger has a telltale ring to indicate if the suction cup is losing vacuum. It should be part of your "remove before flight" checklist.

Here's their conventional mount. Looks okay, but not something I want in the cabin.

http://www.filmtools.com/gopro-hero-...cup-mount.html

Webbing is fine for tethers and may be easier on the cabin trim. You can make custom length tethers at a hardware store with stainless wire. Crimp loops at both ends, loop the wire through itself to go around a solid cabin part, away from the path of seat belts and (all) airbags.

You might think it's a bit girly-man to bother with "nice to have" safety gear like tethers, but one way to look at it is the cost of the equipment if you want to leave a camera hanging from the body outside the cabin -- a tether means you don't lose the camera if it comes loose (and the camera doesn't get the chance to go bouncing along the body and scratch the paint ... properly secured by a tether, the camera will remain where you can protect the paint with a layer of 3M film, etc.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:26 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Max, get an AiM unit so we can share/compare data.
Joe, get a GT3 so that we can compare data ;-). I'm getting tired of being the guinea pig melting stuff (this time was not entirely an exception, btw)
Old 08-26-2014, 02:28 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Joe, get a GT3 so that we can compare data ;-). I'm getting tired of being the guinea pig melting stuff (this time was not entirely an exception, btw)
November delivery!
No buckets.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:26 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
First thought: anything not secured in the cabin is a projectile and you have to decide if you want it thrown at your eye at 100mph.

For everyday street driving, maybe not on the track, you could use a gel suction mount, or at least use a tether.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of these in the truck and it sticks to the dash where normal suction cups don't hold a vacuum at all.

For the track, use a real suction with an indicator and rated load tolerance with a wire tether so it can't reach you.

http://www.filmtools.com/filmtools-i...era-mount.html

Note the pump plunger has a telltale ring to indicate if the suction cup is losing vacuum. It should be part of your "remove before flight" checklist.

Here's their conventional mount. Looks okay, but not something I want in the cabin.

http://www.filmtools.com/gopro-hero-...cup-mount.html

Webbing is fine for tethers and may be easier on the cabin trim. You can make custom length tethers at a hardware store with stainless wire. Crimp loops at both ends, loop the wire through itself to go around a solid cabin part, away from the path of seat belts and (all) airbags.

You might think it's a bit girly-man to bother with "nice to have" safety gear like tethers, but one way to look at it is the cost of the equipment if you want to leave a camera hanging from the body outside the cabin -- a tether means you don't lose the camera if it comes loose (and the camera doesn't get the chance to go bouncing along the body and scratch the paint ... properly secured by a tether, the camera will remain where you can protect the paint with a layer of 3M film, etc.
Thanks Carrera GT. Yes, I have no luck getting suction on the dash. I have a gel mount suction for the iPhone for Harry's but also want the option to use the GoPro on the dash as well. I'm assuming the windshield mount adapts to a GoPro.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:51 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming the windshield mount adapts to a GoPro.
Yes, and I have used their provided suction mount without incident. Not that it won't happen but I've been lucky so far.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:08 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Default Mountain Drive

This is not a track video, but quite the twisty mountain road. Lots of hairpins, gravel in spots, bicyclists, etc. so not the fastest but VERY fun. Excuse the NPR "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" in the back ground!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Carrera GT. Yes, I have no luck getting suction on the dash. I have a gel mount suction for the iPhone for Harry's but also want the option to use the GoPro on the dash as well. I'm assuming the windshield mount adapts to a GoPro.
I have had success using the adhesive mount on the rear window(inside the car). It's so much better there because the field of view gets what your hands are doing and it shows the action thru the front windshield perfectly. It takes a bit of experimenting to get the mount location just right but it's well worth it.

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.