Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 11:58 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
What track and what laptimes u were doing for present and previous car? Mike
The track is Toronto Motorsports Park in Cayuga, Ontario.

On the old Michelin Cups, my modified Turbo ran 1.18’s. On R6’s, it was doing consistent 1.16’s – best lap time (last season) was 1.16.3. I drove that car at that track 5-10 times a year for 5 years.

Last night I did a 1.16.1 in the GT3 after about 12 laps (stock except for a conservative alignment). And I was short-shifting, and really just learning the car, braking way too early, making lots of mistakes in the process. So there is considerable time to make up there.

Monday I’m going to a longer, faster tack (previous best lap time there is 1.56 in the Turbo on R6) so it will be interesting to see how the GT3 compares there. And I plan to use all 9k this time
Old 08-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Meteor. Its telling isnt it when you already have a best time over you tried and tested (550 bhp?) 997 modded TT on R6.

IMO the MPSC2 are not as sticky as R6 which on a short course track like TMP should be worth at least 1.2s over Cup2s.

The longer track will be interesting. The turbo will have made fast work of the straights here and on R6 I wouldn't be over optimistic as its still a car new to use and using stock factory tyres, but I should think you can get some consistency around 1.54 there....
Old 08-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sam. Thanks for the latest geo sheet. Good to have a gander here and see what you are doing.

I can see you now have a smidgen negative front toe (i.e. toe out -0.05'). I doubt you would feel this much on the road but on the track Im guessing the steering is a fraction quicker and more sensitive?

I see you are running quite large negative camber front and rear (essentially -3 degrees all round). Id imagine that probably as aggressive as is practical on essentially a road car for the track. I run my 993 out to -3.00F/-2.50R for the track with a smidgeon of positive toe at the front but it does chew inner tyres out on the road naturally.

Thanks for the data on the sway bars. I have not had mine altered as yet but Im back in 4 weeks for two days of track work in the GT3 so will get the fronts softened off at the track before I head off for the first session and the rears firmed up. Still running just over -2 degrees F camber and just under -2.00 rear (essentially the max without using spacers/shims). I think Id like to get a few more days seat time at the track in her before I make an decisions on further camber changes - the car will be seeing alot of road use as well as track...
Old 08-10-2014, 12:22 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Looking forward to your next time out. Good to know u manually shifting gear to gear but would be be curious next time out u compare manual shift vs auto shift as a delta. Good job!!! Mike
Old 08-10-2014, 12:36 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Meteor. Its telling isnt it when you already have a best time over you tried and tested (550 bhp?) 997 modded TT on R6.

IMO the MPSC2 are not as sticky as R6 which on a short course track like TMP should be worth at least 1.2s over Cup2s.

The longer track will be interesting. The turbo will have made fast work of the straights here and on R6 I wouldn't be over optimistic as its still a car new to use and using stock factory tyres, but I should think you can get some consistency around 1.54 there....
Very telling. I was squeezing every tenth out of the Turbo (yep 560+ BHP) at that track after a crazy amount of track time & tuning. Without any other mods to the GT3 there is at least another second or so. With more aggressive geo, upgraded pads, definitely more. And naturally I’m already thinking about what R6’s would be like on this car 

Another interesting note from yesterday: There are 2 straights at the track. I was hitting the same top speeds (~200kph/185kph respectively) that I was hitting with my Turbo (both on 94 octane) so shifting @ 9k may put the GT3 ahead of the Turbo even in a straight line.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:43 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Looking forward to your next time out. Good to know u manually shifting gear to gear but would be be curious next time out u compare manual shift vs auto shift as a delta. Good job!!! Mike
You know what – I haven’t even tried Auto mode yet. Seriously not even once. Everyone says you have to try it at the track (and I likely will at some point just to see what it’s like) but I love shifting in this car. Don’t really care if miss a couple hundred RPM’s. I shift way more on the street than I did with a conventional manual because I love going through the gears (up and down). Maybe that’ll wear off but the shifts are so crisp and the sounds so brilliant I don’t think that’s happening.

I’ll report back Monday night !
Old 08-12-2014, 10:50 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts
Default GoPro and external microphone

To those using a GoPro and an external microphone,

I'm trying to use a external microphone on my Hero 3+. The problem is accommodating the USB adapter for the microphone. The housing for the suction mount covers the USB port. Is there a housing that gives you access or do you cut a hole?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 10:53 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
To those using a GoPro and an external microphone, I'm trying to use a external microphone on my Hero 3+. The problem is accommodating the USB adapter for the microphone. The housing for the suction mount covers the USB port. Is there a housing that gives you access or do you cut a hole? Thanks
You can either drill a hole or buy the 'skeleton' housing. Very annoying.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You can either drill a hole or buy the 'skeleton' housing. Very annoying.
Thanks orthojoe, I agree. Another thing to buy! I thought I already had the skeleton, but I just have the backpac skeleton.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:33 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Thanks orthojoe, I agree. Another thing to buy! I thought I already had the skeleton, but I just have the backpac skeleton.
The "old" skeleton housing did not have cut outs so I had a buy a new one. Bastards!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:35 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
The "old" skeleton housing did not have cut outs so I had a buy a new one. Bastards!
Gotta love the design "flaws"...just so happen to help boost recurring revenue.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:36 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sam. Thanks for the latest geo sheet. Good to have a gander here and see what you are doing.

I can see you now have a smidgen negative front toe (i.e. toe out -0.05'). I doubt you would feel this much on the road but on the track Im guessing the steering is a fraction quicker and more sensitive?

I see you are running quite large negative camber front and rear (essentially -3 degrees all round). Id imagine that probably as aggressive as is practical on essentially a road car for the track. I run my 993 out to -3.00F/-2.50R for the track with a smidgeon of positive toe at the front but it does chew inner tyres out on the road naturally.

Thanks for the data on the sway bars. I have not had mine altered as yet but Im back in 4 weeks for two days of track work in the GT3 so will get the fronts softened off at the track before I head off for the first session and the rears firmed up. Still running just over -2 degrees F camber and just under -2.00 rear (essentially the max without using spacers/shims). I think Id like to get a few more days seat time at the track in her before I make an decisions on further camber changes - the car will be seeing alot of road use as well as track...
Great, keep us posted. With the new sway bar settings, the car will feel way too loose BUT as soon as you get used to it, you will love it. Rotates on a dime. And yes with the minimal front toe out, there is no "wandering" on regular roads and it does turn in a smidgeon better on the track. I have noticed that if the mileage on tires is around 25% track and 75 % road, the wear pattern is not bad at all.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:43 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Yesterday’s trackday was awesome. Car was rock-solid in high heat (34C and very humid). The car is a total riot on the track. It changes direction so quickly with such confidence. The agility and fun factor is off the charts. Keeping it screaming in that upper rev range around the track is glorious. The GT3 bested my previous record lap time at this track (in a highly modded 997 Turbo on Hoosiers) by 1.8 seconds/lap. The GT3 was 5.3 seconds faster than my Turbo’s best lap on MPSC. No question it’ll be even faster next time I’m there.

Sam – I’m with you on tire pressures. I started high yesterday to test a full range – 34/36 F/R (hot), which was not good. Took out 2 psi per session and stopped at 28-29 F / 30-31 R and then I could really lean on the car in long sweepers and the car was more predictable. And faster. This track has one extremely tight hairpin which I thought RWS might conquer but I was little disappointed it didn’t do much to help. This is really just nitpicking – hard to find faults with this car. Tire wear looks pretty good. I did 250km on-track yesterday (high speed, very abrasive surface – extremely hard on tires) and long sessions, in high heat. The Front Left took a beating but the other 3 tires look really good. I’m having the fronts swapped right now and I’ll likely get another 2 days + street miles out of them. Just a guess at this point but at the 3 main tracks I run (2 of which are very hard on tires) I think I’ll get 4 hard/fast days out of the fronts (if they are swapped after 2) and 5+ out of the rears.

The seating situation is much better than a 997 with Sport seats. The seatbacks themselves are a bit deeper, the upper bolsters more supportive, and the center console and left door are higher & tighter to the driver (and more padded). It held me in place pretty well and my legs aren’t bruised like they used to be when I tracked with an *** seat. Race bucket/ROW Sport Bucket still better but the stock seats are better than expected.

My shop had a good look at my car today and they want to leave the setup as-is for another track day or 2. They are softening the front sway, I’ll do another couple of track days in the next 10 days and we’ll likely go for more camber at that point. Macca – I’ll ask for the geo specs this week.

Anyway, I’m absolutely loving this car. A blast ripping around town and obviously even better on the track. I did about 3 hours on fast country roads on Saturday which was outstanding. I’ll be on similar roads this weekend and will be doing 3 trackdays in the next 2 weeks so will report back!
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2014, 01:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

mate. Thats excellent feedback!

Thanks for the hot tyre intel. provides some good target data for when Im out again in a few weeks time. Ill aim for 29/31 hot after a few sessions and report back on my findings (currently at -2.12F and -1.54R).

You had your sway bars at factory middle correct. Moving front to soft. Let us know how that goes for you. Im thinking to do same before Sept track days.

4 track days plus (2000???) street miles on a set of MPSC2 = still not bad given you are obviously very familiar with these tracks and pushing on with some very good times (better than developed 560 bhp 997 turbo!).

Great to get your feedback and she looks like a real track hack now with the tyre marble marks down the side (one downside of white but wear it with pride!).
Old 08-13-2014, 01:16 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

mate. Thats excellent feedback!

Thanks for the hot tyre intel. provides some good target data for when Im out again in a few weeks time. Ill aim for 29/31 hot after a few sessions and report back on my findings (currently at -2.12F and -1.54R).

You had your sway bars at factory middle correct. Moving front to soft. Let us know how that goes for you. Im thinking to do same before Sept track days.

4 track days plus (2000???) street miles on a set of MPSC2 = still not bad given you are obviously very familiar with these tracks and pushing on with some very good times (better than developed 560 bhp 997 turbo!).

Great to get your feedback and she looks like a real track hack now with the tyre marble marks down the side (one downside of white but wear it with pride!).
Yeah, I wasn’t sure she’d match the ‘ol Turbo’s times the first-time out but the car was a champ. And yes, sways were at factory middle. This tire wear is looking like about ½ what I was doing with my 997 Turbo so no complaints.

Here’s another shot a friend took which really shows how down & dirty things got:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.