Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Phil. Thanks for talking the time to update us. Very useful information...
Old 07-28-2014, 11:18 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Sam it's good to see someone pushing this car....Did the nannies intervene at any time during this session or are you driving without them ??

Also, is there video with Jason driving that you can post ??

Nannies intervened once in a different session, without them, the car would have spun. The video shows the car is not being tightly held. When I drove the C4S with them on, there was much less drama inside. Jason drove the car and his opinion was that they did not interfere at all (car slid with him as well but he can pretty much catch anything). I took a video of him driving as well but for some reason, the file got corrupted. This has been happening recently where one file gets corrupted. I am replacing the microSD card and if it continues, will replace the GoPro.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Still can't believe porsche didn't equip these cars with roll bar points. Especially as fast as this car can go. Seeing you guys move all around with those lap belts
I hear ya! my back aches for days after tracking like this. I never had a harness but am sure ready for one.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:21 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

GoPros are so finicky and unreliable. If only someone else would make a camera with just as good video quality without the stupid cases, mounts, and interface, I would jump ship.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:41 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
GoPros are so finicky and unreliable. If only someone else would make a camera with just as good video quality without the stupid cases, mounts, and interface, I would jump ship.
I use a Drift Innovations camera, the DriftHD. No stupid case, 1/4-20 standard mount, lense rotates so camera can be mounted out of level and still achieve a level image capture, has built in screen, and comes with an RF remote. Retails at $150.

Ryan
Old 07-28-2014, 11:54 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by reidry
I use a Drift Innovations camera, the DriftHD. No stupid case, 1/4-20 standard mount, lense rotates so camera can be mounted out of level and still achieve a level image capture, has built in screen, and comes with an RF remote. Retails at $150. Ryan
I looked at the drift unit. The videos they post didn't look to be as nearly good quality as gopro, though? I pulled the trigger on a camsports unit after debating between drift and camsports. I never use my camsports because the video is so bad. :-(
Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

Google glass? Pricey but easy to use.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Not yet!! With my C4S, they were very noisy on the road. On the GT3, the OEM pads were noisy like you describe but not terrible. I have about 160-180 track miles on the Pagids and a total of over 1,300 miles. Minimal noise so far. I had my mechanic put some of that very gooey pad stuff behind the pad plates to see if it helps. I don't know if that did the trick, if it's because the GT3 rotors are different, just luck or a matter of time before the squealing begins.

Any idea what the "very gooey stuff" was Sam?? I've heard of others doing something similar...but never a mention of brand name stuff.
and keep the videos coming!!!!! Along with any mods you have done, and the results you have been seeing at the track. thx
Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nick
Google glass? Pricey but easy to use.
For first person view, maybe? Duct tape the glasses onto my tow hook for that low to the ground view. Lol
Old 07-28-2014, 01:55 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I looked at the drift unit. The videos they post didn't look to be as nearly good quality as gopro, though? I pulled the trigger on a camsports unit after debating between drift and camsports. I never use my camsports because the video is so bad. :-(
Joe - PM'd you a link to a session from Sebring, it wasn't in a 991 GT3 so I didn't post here. If anyone else would like the link, feel free to PM me, it's a session in my Spec Miata - I didn't pass any P-cars so it's safe .

Please feel free to post back what you think of the video quality.

Ryan
Old 07-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ive been disappointed with the GoPro for a while. It has the best lens in the business IMO but the fidly accessories that look like lego and the poor user interface (buttons hard to depress, WiFi remote goes flat well before the camera battery does etc) have just driven me to dispair. Not feature rich either with no stability or built in GPS and poor battery life in the camera. After investing in a very comprehensive GoPro set up for the 993 track car I decided to jump ship to Sony with their A100V and Im very happy. Battery life is better, one touch on and record (I didnt even bother with their wirless remote), can be operated by iPhone/Andriod and used as a display to set up frame etc like GoPro, has built in GPS and can overlay instruments when post edit (track position, speed, time etc) and has built in image stability which performs very well. It also has HD and pro modes. The image quality is excellent but not quite as sharp as GoPro but not an issue for a screen up to 50" I should say so a small compromise for a bundle of advantages. The standard case is waterproof (rain etc) so no bulky case needed and the built in mics have been getting great reviews, at least twice as good as GoPro and as good as GoPro with my seperate Sony mic (play my GT3 video a few pages back and thats recorded in the cabin, windows up with standard forward facing mic).

Best part is its only $269 with battery and mounts. By the way the mounds are mostly far better constructed than GoPro - nice and beefy and can be tightened by philips driver...
Old 07-28-2014, 06:54 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Macca what's the exact/full model name of your Sony camera? The closest I can google up is HDR-AS100V.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes. Sorry mate. Thats the one. White casing. Much smaller than it looks (similar size to go pro without housing - tad bigger). I did a stack of research then started playing with this one and like it alot. Mounted too high on the roll cage in my GT3 first time out (the footage I posted was first ever time used) but managed to get the position perfect and played with it in a variety of conditions and works well. As I say only two things the GoPro beats it on (and about 8 the Sony beats the GoPro on) - one is the image quality is fractionally not as crips but only noticeable on full sized files and 2) the metering isnt spot or changeable so if mounted too far back in the car like I have it driving into bright light can struggle to compensate....
Old 07-28-2014, 07:56 PM
hf1
Banned

Macca, thx! Very useful.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:13 PM
hf1
Banned

Macca, sorry, one more question. Were the mounts that come in the box good enough for attaching the camera to a roll bar or do you need to get a different/extra mount?

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.