Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat. "B" folks with cars at Port

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:03 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Okay - for those that have a white car that has sat at port please look at the stone guard on the wheel wells. I thought mine was looking a little yellow after having the front of the car Xpelled. The guy at my dealership, who manages the shop, thought I was crazy. I had new ones' installed today and he was almost apologetic. He did admit that after the install it was quite obvious that 5 months at the port did blemish it. They did not charge me(I did buy the replacement-$78) for the replacement. It is night and day with the new ones'. Now I am happy. Other than that; after 5 months at the port the car looks brand new. Even had the pull anew 911 up to compare - Nice
Old 08-27-2014, 01:41 AM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up my GT3 today. I also had Xpell on my GT3 but had the Porsche stone guards removed and Xpell was put in its place. Jimmy is correct the Porsche Stone guards do yellow and is clear on a white car.

Initial impressions after about 50 miles: Quick acceleration, do not like to drive it in auto as it starts out sluggish, interior is great, 18 way seats are very comfortable and would not recommend sport seats for those who are thinking of them for 15. They have a ledge to get over to sit in the seat and would be a pain to get in and out (Just my opinion).

comparison to my F12 and other Ferraris that I have had, the shift speed of the paddles is not near the speed of the 458 or F12. I am not saying it is slow it just is not as fast. I think part of the reason you just need to tap the paddles on the Ferraris and the GT3 you have to "push" them. Ferrari greater acceleration but again the GT3 is new and Porsche cars "change" over time so more to come.

The lift is a must. Just put your Iphone to the front splinter and almost half your Iphone would be lost. No comment yet on handling as I have not really tested it yet.

Overall for the money a great car and great value. You can option a C4S cab for the same money.

One thing I noticed and would like others input, the exhaust sound does not have that "gurgling" sound when down shifting like the Free loaner I have which was a 911S cab. I have not put any after market exhaust on the car.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:26 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Okay - for those that have a white car that has sat at port please look at the stone guard on the wheel wells. I thought mine was looking a little yellow after having the front of the car Xpelled. The guy at my dealership, who manages the shop, thought I was crazy. I had new ones' installed today and he was almost apologetic. He did admit that after the install it was quite obvious that 5 months at the port did blemish it. They did not charge me(I did buy the replacement-$78) for the replacement. It is night and day with the new ones'. Now I am happy. Other than that; after 5 months at the port the car looks brand new. Even had the pull anew 911 up to compare - Nice
I wouldn't necessarily blame the yellowing of the stone guard film completely on the time your car sat at the port. My 2014 Turbo S coupe was completed January 15, 2014, one day after my 2014 GT3. The GT3 arrived at the Port of Houston on February 11th and sat there until July when it went to Atlanta for the engine swap. The Turbo S arrived at the Port of Houston February 13th, and I took delivery February 14th.

The factory stone guards on the Turbo S were already yellowing when I took delivery, and the ones on my GT3 were no more yellow than that when I took delivery of it on August 7th. I had the stone guards on both cars replaced with X-Pel shortly after taking delivery of each car.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^Good info
Old 08-27-2014, 10:43 AM
sk0t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My XPEL installer removed the factory "shark fins", as he calls them, before installation as well. Mine had yellowed slightly too but the XPEL is guaranteed for 10 years against yellowing, amongst other things.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:51 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^ Agree. I do not know what company Porsche uses. The replacement I got were made from 3M. They are 8 mil thick(same thickness of factory) but you can get 14 mil. I know a little bit about film because I am in the business some what. I have a feeling that the 8 mil film yellows more than say the Xpel which will be thinner. The thicker the film the quicker the migration to the surface; which is contray to what you might think. In Polyethylene film the thicker the gauge the less PPM of slip you would use because of the migration. So, my feeling is this is why the Porsche stone guards yellow so quickly. But - you can also treat them with wax ect to slow the process.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Jimmy, I checked my car and have not noticed any yellowing. It may be I am not looking correctly or in the right place. Where was there yellowing?

Quick Reply: Cat. "B" folks with cars at Port