Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 - possibly the most superficial questions you will see this week?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:58 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 - possibly the most superficial questions you will see this week?

I've been thinking a lot about a GT3, and anzelGS pics are only making it worse.
I do have a couple of pretty superficial questions which I'm sure will disappear once I get a drive in a GT3.
Anyway, I love the look of the GT3, the wing and aeropackage, the whole look and aggressive stance. But, I can't help remembering Clarksons' (I know) comment on a TG show reviewing what I think was the RS and talking about how the wing made you stand out as something that wasn't very complimentary. So, first question, does the whole appearance attract the 'wrong' kind of attention? I remember once when i aaas driving a Cobra rep and a restaurant had me parked up front. When i went to get my car I overheard a comment from someone suggesting that the owner of that type of car was compensating for something….anyway, i know we talk about not caring what others think or say but just wondered if it was any different in a winged 911 than my basic s?
The other thing, once again kinda superficial, the first thing I did to my car was lower it a bit to get rid of what i think is the big gap in the wheel wells. I know the Gt3 is lower, but in a lot of the pics I've seen there still seems to be a decent gap in the wheel wells. Is this just an optical illusion or is that the case.
once again, understand these aren't big questions, and a test drive may cure all, just curious.

cheers
Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

It is a race car for the road that combines pure tactile ecstasy, motorcycle-esque revs, and refined German engineering (fingers crossed on the engine fix) all in one package. The wing has an audacious element, but is based in a "form follows function" philosophy of making the GT3 stick to the tarmac like glue at high speed. If there were another way to achieve epic down force while still being true to the classic 911 shape without such a device blocking rear view sight lines, then someone would've thought of it over there in Stuttgart, but they haven't. It's raw and different and special.

I, for one, could care less what people say about small appendages. Some will get the car for show, but most will get it for purposeful driving enjoyment on-track or on-road or both. Cheers to you for considering the car and I hope you find a way to confidently explore the beauty that is this car w/out fear of the Jeremy Clarkson's of the world raining on your parade.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:28 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by limey940
I've been thinking a lot about a GT3, and anzelGS pics are only making it worse.
I do have a couple of pretty superficial questions which I'm sure will disappear once I get a drive in a GT3.
Anyway, I love the look of the GT3, the wing and aeropackage, the whole look and aggressive stance. But, I can't help remembering Clarksons' (I know) comment on a TG show reviewing what I think was the RS and talking about how the wing made you stand out as something that wasn't very complimentary.

That's Clarkson's opinion. To me it's like having an *sshole; everybody's got one. BTW; He's not very keen on Porsche.

So, first question, does the whole appearance attract the 'wrong' kind of attention? I remember once when i aaas driving a Cobra rep and a restaurant had me parked up front. When i went to get my car I overheard a comment from someone suggesting that the owner of that type of car was compensating for something….anyway, i know we talk about not caring what others think or say but just wondered if it was any different in a winged 911 than my basic s?

This is another opinion. In my experience people very much like it and react positively. Others act if don't see it or maybe they don't. But I don't really mind not pleasing everybody.
Some friends who own a 991 carrera s absolutely love my car. They all would like to have one and agree it is so much more special than a Carrera (S) even Turbo (S). Just drive it once and you're sold.

The other thing, once again kinda superficial, the first thing I did to my car was lower it a bit to get rid of what i think is the big gap in the wheel wells. I know the Gt3 is lower, but in a lot of the pics I've seen there still seems to be a decent gap in the wheel wells. Is this just an optical illusion or is that the case.

If you live on a racetrack and don't intend to leave it this would be no problem. If not, I think you'll lose your bumper a lot.
In all countries I have been in you'll absolutely need the little ground clearance it has. The one and only option I couldn't live without would actually be the 'front lift'.

once again, understand these aren't big questions, and a test drive may cure all, just curious.

cheers

Hope this helps. If you have more questions please shoot.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:28 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

To answer your other about the wheel well gap, that is simply an issue of seeing a photographed GT3 with the front lift activated. It makes it look like someone loaded a donkey on the rear bumper to make the nose rise up. It's low and sleek and tight when deactivated. Trust me...
Old 07-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

I would agree with Clarkson on the RS wing. Driving on public streets with the RS makes one think that the driver missed a turn at the track and ended up on a public roadway. You almost expect the driver to still be wearing a helmet, fire suit and gloves.

The wing of the GT3 was a concern of mine but with the styling of the GT3 changing over the years the latest rendition the wing seems to fit nicely.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:33 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
To answer your other about the wheel well gap, that is simply an issue of seeing a photographed GT3 with the front lift activated. It makes it look like someone loaded a donkey on the rear bumper to make the nose rise up. It's low and sleek and tight when deactivated. Trust me...
Think so too. Totally agree.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I would agree with Clarkson on the RS wing. Driving on public streets with the RS makes one think that the driver missed a turn at the track and ended up on a public roadway. You almost expect the driver to still be wearing a helmet, fire suit and gloves.

The wing of the GT3 was a concern of mine but with the styling of the GT3 changing over the years the latest rendition the wing seems to fit nicely.
Ummmmm, I may wear a helmet for the hell of it(: I can care less what people think you work hard enjoy your car!
Old 07-01-2014, 10:24 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think people agree that your concerns, while valid, are non issues. The only time I had to "hide" the car from a restaurant was during a two day DE event, because the car had racing numbers on it. While I tend to not care much about what people think (comes with age), the numbers made me feel weird at the restaurant
Old 07-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I love a wing on a proper sports car but very few look as if it belongs. Porsche nailed it on the 991 GT3 and it just looks absolutely fantastic. My Wife hates wings and she even likes it.- very masculine and only some one jealous/insecure would make such a comment about compensation. Now, I agree that in the past the wing on the RS never seems to look as if it belongs - my opinion but we will see if the new RS will look the part, as well.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Also- let me add this. Chicks love men in GT3s. You know why??. They know you did not buy this to show off. They know you have cojones driving this beast. Women love men who exude confidence and masculinity. This is a Man's car. You have to decide if this is for you
Old 07-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does not matter what kind of sports car that you drive; Ferrari, Lamborghini,Porsche, Corvette or Viper. People who can't afford one will always play the "small appendage" card. It is a coping mechanism for them to deal with their own inadequacies. If you hear a comment like that just tell them "that's not what you mom said last night"!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:17 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The "compensation" statement only applies to people who buy these types of cars purely to look good at the valet stand. For those of us who buy cars because we actually drive them and appreciate their engineering, that kind of comment is completely missing the mark. Next time, invite them for a lap at your local track in your GT3 and they will be silenced quickly

I couldn't care less what people think when they see my car - I bought it for myself and I use it for what it was built for so I am perfectly happy with the way it looks. Besides, you will find most people actually do have positive things to say. I'd expect Ferrari/Lambo gets more of the sneering looks/douchebag commentary.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,774 Likes on 4,773 Posts

The 991 GT3 is like the gentleman's Subaru WRX.

Styling wise, only.

Love it, personally.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:27 PM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It's mostly comments from haters who haven't worked to earn and accomplish what we did. I have a lifted truck on 37s, jeep jk on 40s, lowered f10 m5, new RRS... I hear it. But I love cars and hate stock sooo... I'd only care if I was as insecure as they are.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:10 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i like it when people say stuff like that. helps me identify who to stay away from

really, there are going to be nitpickers and jealous people abound no matter what you drive. ignore them and enjoy the privilege of driving one of the best cars in the world.

Quick Reply: GT3 - possibly the most superficial questions you will see this week?