Sponsored by:

911 base vs gt3

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 911 base vs gt3

So I parked my f10 m5 to rack up miles on my base 911 loaner. The car feels way more 'race car' it's louder, stiffer and easier to throw around. The weight makes a huge difference. I love driving it but, it's dissapointingly slow. Maybe I'm too familiar with bi-turbo acceleration.

Anyone who has driven a base vs gt3, I know the numbers but how does it feel? Thanks
Old 06-28-2014, 02:52 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Racin
So I parked my f10 m5 to rack up miles on my base 911 loaner. The car feels way more 'race car' it's louder, stiffer and easier to throw around. The weight makes a huge difference. I love driving it but, it's dissapointingly slow. Maybe I'm too familiar with bi-turbo acceleration.

Anyone who has driven a base vs gt3, I know the numbers but how does it feel? Thanks
Boy I have been down THAT road....Took me a full 2 months to understand the 991 S after having my F10 M5 and F12 M6. I will tell you this...I did like the C2S better than the M5 but I eventually (4 mos later) wanted more power so I went with a TTS. Now, I am longing for the rawness of the NA engine again so I am going to the GT3. Seems like a consensus that it is pretty darn fast. Prob. a good choice if you can get your hands on one.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:09 PM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Got it. It's a very different machine. I don't see the 911 being as luxurious as the M car. The 911 seems like your mistress and the M seems more like the wife who just found out about your mistress.
BTW, I blame you as I found this board from your bimmer post 'darkside' thread last year.. My gt3 will be here in Nov but not planning on trading it for the M, just an addition....
Thx cold list.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

I've owned a 997.2 Turbo and driving the C2S Loaner while waiting for my GT3 at Port. The Turbo was really fast but- weight, lag, all wheel drive, no soul from exhaust led me to a trade--in. About 2 months ago I complained about the C2S loaner because I felt is was underpowered but still a very capable car. Now, coming from a Turbo it is not hard thinking the C2S underpowered.( in between had an Audi R8 V10 just FYI).

But, now that the car has been broken in and I have learned that this car needs to live in the higher RPM range it is not underpowered. It just needs to be driven a little differently. Great daily driver but if you want to exploit its split personality you need to live above 5000 rpm.

I have also raced various other capable sports cars in my Loaner and have beat them all. I left many cars and even some super bikes wondering what the heck I have in the trunk. The PDK in sport plus just changes so quick that it really can be driven quick. It would of been interesting if this Loaner with PDK would of beat me in my manual Turbo. May be to about 70 mph and then it would of been good night.

It takes a little time to understand a car you may not be used to driving. Any how; the GT3 will be a blast and will give me all that I have been looking/waiting for
Old 06-28-2014, 05:41 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i had an 05C2, 07TT, 09C2, 12C2, and some 991's.. then grabbed a 10GT3

when you own a c2/c4/c2S (normal Carrera) you think.. i'll add some coilovers, sway bars, this and that and i'll have a "gt3"... i did these things, changed LCA's... changed joints here and there... and i loved my normal carrera's.

getting a GT3 you realize instantly where the weight savings comes from (the sound is totally different, the engine wails like no other and penetrates the cabin perfectly... the steering feels different and better and the gear ratios might seem the same as a carrera but when you look at the speedo you realize they are surely not..

couple that with a sharkwerks center exhaust and the GT3 is just a totally different beast than a modded carrera.

i personally drove mine everyday, some say it's not practical but i feel any 911 is practical. and the clutch is simple to engage in 1st.. the only downside i see is if you do put some ladies in the back "seat" you can't hear them and they can't hear you because of the road noise that will penetrate the cabin thru rear wide wheels.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:21 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was given a base 991 Carrera as a loaner when the stop drive order came out. I returned it after 400 miles because it felt undriveable, after driving the GT3. If the base 991 felt like a race car, you are in for a very very very pleasant surprise when you get your GT3.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

^^I may want to stick my Wife in the back seat so I do not hear her but instead the engine
Old 06-28-2014, 08:04 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

It's all about whether you like to drive torque (most of us do) or whether you like to touch high rev power. I haven't seen the overlayed torque curves of the two engines but I would venture to guess that the gt3 engine may have slightly less torque at lower revs actually... Doubt the gt3 feels much more powerful at low revs.. You buy it for the last 1k rpm
Old 06-28-2014, 09:53 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It's all about whether you like to drive torque (most of us do) or whether you like to touch high rev power. I haven't seen the overlayed torque curves of the two engines but I would venture to guess that the gt3 engine may have slightly less torque at lower revs actually... Doubt the gt3 feels much more powerful at low revs.. You buy it for the last 1k rpm
I actually think that from 6,000 RPM up, the GT3 is incredible.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:08 PM
MyenShi
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a GT3 or Turbo felt anywhere near like a Carrera, no one would buy or lust after the upper tier 911 models. Not that a Carrera is bad; the car makes sense and feels alive when you really push it to its limits, but all too bland before then.

I've yet to drive my 991 GT3 (sigh) but every GT3 I've driven is worlds apart from a Carrera/Carrera S of its generation, and unlike any other car on the road.

I've been stuck with a base 991 Carrera cab with no options and it's about as exciting as a chaperoned dance party. Does not even come close to my properly optioned 991 C2S, which I regret trading in early, though that was a month before the stop sale.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:30 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,739 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Is there really any difference between meatloaf and a 21-day dry-aged grass fed and finished ribeye steak?

If you've had both, the answer to this post would be obvious.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:55 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Is there really any difference between meatloaf and a 21-day dry-aged grass fed and finished ribeye steak?

If you've had both, the answer to this post would be obvious.
The 3 is more like dry aged corn fed prime ribeye!
Old 06-29-2014, 03:23 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I have learned that this car needs to live in the higher RPM range it is not underpowered. It just needs to be driven a little differently. Great daily driver but if you want to exploit its split personality you need to live above 5000 rpm.
Agreed 100% but even after I figured out how to drive it I still missed the power of the M5. TTS fixed that REALLY quickly. I love the car. I just like change. I personally think I will be completely smitten with that high-revving NA motor. Cannot wait!
Old 06-29-2014, 03:24 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Road Racin
I blame you as I found this board from your bimmer post 'darkside' thread last year.. My gt3 will be here in Nov but not planning on trading it for the M, just an addition....
Thx cold list.
Lol! That Darkside thread has many casualties.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Alexey21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColdList
Lol! That Darkside thread has many casualties.
Speaking of the Darkside thread, how is M5Post? I have been banned from there so I am probably missing a lot.

Quick Reply: 911 base vs gt3