Sponsored by:

911 base vs gt3

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:30 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
And I thought we were just messin' with you about color! I had a 997.2 C2S with PDK, the sport chassis and exhaust and the lightweight sport buckets. The GT3 is a BIG step up all around from that car. Your 991 S would have been faster than my 997 but still Its not in the same league as the GT3. If you're that conflicted maybe you should pass although I'd wager once you get that GT3 ride you'll regret not getting one. Not much help, I know...
Hahahahaha! You have no idea how crazy I am with this stuff. All my buddies laugh at me when I try to make these decisions. Currently I have a GT3, 458 Spider and Huracan on order all at the same time-lol!

I'm going to get the GT3 (until I waffle again...and it WILL happen-lol). I can always get another TTS. I'd prob. prefer a coupe anyway.

Your assessment of the diff. helps!

...To show you how nuts I am I was just sitting here browsing new boats thinking I'll just do that again. !
Old 06-30-2014, 02:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdList
BIG HELP-Both of you!-lol!

Man, I REALLY need to find someone to give me a ride in the GT3. I am soooo having second thoughts about giving up the power of my beautiful TTS cab. My concern is that everyone seems to say that the car is glorious "when you get it wound up". Is it THAT similar to a regular C2S at lower speeds/revs? Mine was way to low on power. I don't want to step don but i DO want that visceral experience.......see, I am a neurotic mess!

FYI-a buddy of mine described it as a "slightly faster C2S" and when you look at the stats it makes you wonder...

75+ extra HP
C2S weighs LESS (in both manual and PDK variants)
Same TQ

HHHHmmmmm.....will one of you PLEASE bring your GT3 to GA?
Cold,

If you enjoy the low-end grunt, and head snapping acceleration from idle, then I think you will not enjoy the GT3. It's just not that type of car. Perhaps you might want to wait for the 991 GT2, if they ever make one, which is supposed to be a FI engine setup.

Or just go bonkers, and get the C7 Z06, which has 450 lb-ft at idle.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Cold,

If you enjoy the low-end grunt, and head snapping acceleration from idle, then I think you will not enjoy the GT3. It's just not that type of car. Perhaps you might want to wait for the 991 GT2, if they ever make one, which is supposed to be a FI engine setup.

Or just go bonkers, and get the C7 Z06, which has 450 lb-ft at idle.
Interesting take, ipse. How much seat time have you had in a 991 GT3?
Old 06-30-2014, 02:47 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

BIG HELP-Both of you!-lol!

Man, I REALLY need to find someone to give me a ride in the GT3. I am soooo having second thoughts about giving up the power of my beautiful TTS cab. My concern is that everyone seems to say that the car is glorious "when you get it wound up". Is it THAT similar to a regular C2S at lower speeds/revs? Mine was way to low on power. I don't want to step don but i DO want that visceral experience.......see, I am a neurotic mess!

FYI-a buddy of mine described it as a "slightly faster C2S" and when you look at the stats it makes you wonder...

75+ extra HP
C2S weighs LESS (in both manual and PDK variants)
Same TQ

HHHHmmmmm.....will one of you PLEASE bring your GT3 to GA?
I actually went from a 2009 997 C4S PDK to a 2011 997 GTS (6 speed) to a 991 Carrera S cab (PDK), to a 2014 GT3 and the GT3 smokes all of them...very little similarity to the Carrera S power. The GT3 is a rocket. Much more fun than a Turbo S (to me). You will not find yourself wanting on the power. Put it in sport and it is a monster...always in the perfect gear and that engine likes to rev. Amazing car, best I have ever driven, and I have driven a lot of really fun cars. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Interesting take, ipse. How much seat time have you had in a 991 GT3?
About 10 minutes, maybe less?

I had been seriously looking into a "rebuilt" GT3 and when I was in Overland Park a little while back, I took a slight 1/2 day excursion to check one out. Bad idea all around, as it just made me want one even more. And then took another test drive in Riverside, another bad idea.

So now I'm just resigned to waiting for the next iteration of the GT3 ...
Old 06-30-2014, 04:08 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by JCBH
I actually went from a 2009 997 C4S PDK to a 2011 997 GTS (6 speed) to a 991 Carrera S cab (PDK), to a 2014 GT3 and the GT3 smokes all of them...very little similarity to the Carrera S power. The GT3 is a rocket. Much more fun than a Turbo S (to me). You will not find yourself wanting on the power. Put it in sport and it is a monster...always in the perfect gear and that engine likes to rev. Amazing car, best I have ever driven, and I have driven a lot of really fun cars. Just my 2 cents.
Interesting. Thx for the feedback. Much appreciated. So do you have some seat time in the TTS? It is just crazy fast BUT it does miss some of the involvement and feels a bit soft at times. I like the scream of the NA. And yeah, I'm one of those who drives in sport+ all the time.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:12 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Interesting. Thx for the feedback. Much appreciated. So do you have some seat time in the TTS? It is just crazy fast BUT it does miss some of the involvement and feels a bit soft at times. I like the scream of the NA. And yeah, I'm one of those who drives in sport+ all the time.
Yes, TTS is fast - reminded me of my Panamera Turbo, in terms of straight line speed...relentless...incredible...but a turbo feels different than NA, and if you drive in Sport + mode, you will LOVE the sport mode in the GT3. Amazing car. Totally different - you will be very pleased.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Alexey21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds just like him. Sorry to hear that. I always found your posts to be very well written and you to be very knowledgeable with first-hand experience of the cars you write about. Stealth has a way of being very condescending. He and I have had our own battles. I just chose to have them over PM because I know they freak out when you post them publicly. Sorry to hear it.

Honestly, most people over there that comment on the 991 have not driven the car so I just sort of overlook their comments.

Yeah, I am getting the GT3.
I am just surprised they did not even contact me once about the whole incident, or answer any of my emails.

I can not wait to see your GT3! Are you keeping the TTS and adding the GT3 or...? I can not imagine you giving up all that torque. I drove the new Targa today, and it was a sweet ride, but nothing beats the Turbo power.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:59 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Alexey21
I am just surprised they did not even contact me once about the whole incident, or answer any of my emails.

I can not wait to see your GT3! Are you keeping the TTS and adding the GT3 or...? I can not imagine you giving up all that torque. I drove the new Targa today, and it was a sweet ride, but nothing beats the Turbo power.
That's how ti happens I guess-lol

I am trading the TTS. I figure I'll drive the GT3 and if I like it I keep it. If not, I trade it for the facelifted TTS that could be out as early as next fall.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:04 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by JCBH
Yes, TTS is fast - reminded me of my Panamera Turbo, in terms of straight line speed...relentless...incredible...but a turbo feels different than NA, and if you drive in Sport + mode, you will LOVE the sport mode in the GT3. Amazing car. Totally different - you will be very pleased.
Very cool. I'll just go for it I am sure. Not like you can pick one up every day and the depreciation risk is pretty low. If I hate it I trade it. :-) I gotta a good feeling that i won't though! I like to feel connected with cars. I misss that about my C2S. The GT3 should give me the best of both worlds. Plus, i am seriously considering getting into tracking cars. Atlanta Motosports Park is very nice and they're building it into sort of a country club for car people. Nice clubhouse, pool, etc. My 9 yr old wants to get into karting as well so this could be a nice piece to the puzzle.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Alexey21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's how ti happens I guess-lol

I am trading the TTS. I figure I'll drive the GT3 and if I like it I keep it. If not, I trade it for the facelifted TTS that could be out as early as next fall.
Interesting, I was talking to my dealer today and he said the new facelifted Turbo will be out a year or so after the new facelifted 911 C2S and etc. He said probably as a 2016 or 2017 model. He and I could be wrong though.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:12 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Alexey21
Interesting, I was talking to my dealer today and he said the new facelifted Turbo will be out a year or so after the new facelifted 911 C2S and etc. He said probably as a 2016 or 2017 model. He and I could be wrong though.
That could be absolutely correct. I am going to the Geneva auto show in March and will prob. be able to learn more then.

Quick Reply: 911 base vs gt3