Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 base vs gt3

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:35 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

# weeks ago I traded my 2012 991C2S w/7mt for a 2012 997.2 TTS and could not be more pleased. I never thought I would like the PDK so much. I do have a 1988 911Cab and Jeep Wrangler for my 3 pedal needs.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:21 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Funny I had a 997.1 turbo and liked my 991C2S so much I sold my turbo. I was surprised I liked the PDK too. The PDK in my 991 turbo works even better.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:50 PM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It's all about whether you like to drive torque (most of us do) or whether you like to touch high rev power. I haven't seen the overlayed torque curves of the two engines but I would venture to guess that the gt3 engine may have slightly less torque at lower revs actually... Doubt the gt3 feels much more powerful at low revs.. You buy it for the last 1k rpm
i certainly hope youre wrong. otherwise am i buying this car for that 0.5% of the time im actually going to spend over 8000 rpm. ???
Old 06-29-2014, 11:52 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexey21
Speaking of the Darkside thread, how is M5Post? I have been banned from there so I am probably missing a lot.
What?! Why did you get banned?! I haven't been on there in a while myself.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:13 AM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Meh. Your not missing much substance. Ie: Look at my rims, how do I retrofit the comp package, waiting for my '15....
Old 06-30-2014, 12:52 AM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Road Racin
Meh. Your not missing much substance. Ie: Look at my rims, how do I retrofit the comp package, waiting for my '15....
Lost me there...
Old 06-30-2014, 02:39 AM
Alexey21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColdList
What?! Why did you get banned?! I haven't been on there in a while myself.
I posted under the thread Why Porsche, turns out stealth was being an ******* to me and I would not take it, so I cornered him and he reported me. So I can not access the M5 forum anymore and the admins will not reply to me. You can ask Vic as he saw some of the comments me and Stealth threw at each other. Stealth said I could not comment on the performance of the M5 since I am only 21, and said everything I say is not a valid source. I told him to stop being a little bitch and go out there and actually drive the cars, not just pretend to drive them or pretend to know it all. Towards the end he made it all personal saying I can not talk to him like that because he is a self made multi millionaire, and he is too rich for me to talk to him that way. Long stupid story.

You decide what car you're getting next?
Old 06-30-2014, 05:35 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
i certainly hope youre wrong. otherwise am i buying this car for that 0.5% of the time im actually going to spend over 8000 rpm. ???
Don't worry. With the more closely spaced gear ratios, instant NA response and good torque (not TT torque, but still...) I think you'll find the car has plenty of punch and is very entertaining to drive across the rev band. And when you do wind it out.....wow.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 AM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Alexey21
I posted under the thread Why Porsche, turns out stealth was being an ******* to me and I would not take it, so I cornered him and he reported me. So I can not access the M5 forum anymore and the admins will not reply to me. You can ask Vic as he saw some of the comments me and Stealth threw at each other. Stealth said I could not comment on the performance of the M5 since I am only 21, and said everything I say is not a valid source. I told him to stop being a little bitch and go out there and actually drive the cars, not just pretend to drive them or pretend to know it all. Towards the end he made it all personal saying I can not talk to him like that because he is a self made multi millionaire, and he is too rich for me to talk to him that way. Long stupid story.

You decide what car you're getting next?
That sounds just like him. Sorry to hear that. I always found your posts to be very well written and you to be very knowledgeable with first-hand experience of the cars you write about. Stealth has a way of being very condescending. He and I have had our own battles. I just chose to have them over PM because I know they freak out when you post them publicly. Sorry to hear it.

Honestly, most people over there that comment on the 991 have not driven the car so I just sort of overlook their comments.

Yeah, I am getting the GT3.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:03 AM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Don't worry. With the more closely spaced gear ratios, instant NA response and good torque (not TT torque, but still...) I think you'll find the car has plenty of punch and is very entertaining to drive across the rev band. And when you do wind it out.....wow.
STOP showing me pics of that hot red machine!-lol

I have been building (and rebuilding) my white/red/white/red/white/red/white/red one for days now-lol
Old 06-30-2014, 10:18 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

STOP showing me pics of that hot red machine!-lol I have been building (and rebuilding) my white/red/white/red/white/red/white/red one for days now-lol
Haha. The 3D configurator is addictive. I must've used it a few dozen times before asking a final decision.

Last edited by 0Q991; 06-30-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

STOP showing me pics of that hot red machine!-lol

I have been building (and rebuilding) my white/red/white/red/white/red/white/red one for days now-lol
If it's any consolation, Mike, as delighted as I am with my choice of Guards Red, I still see certain other colors and think, "that would have looked really nice too". Just sayin'.....
Old 06-30-2014, 11:12 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's any consolation, Mike, as delighted as I am with my choice of Guards Red, I still see certain other colors and think, "that would have looked really nice too". Just sayin'.....
Come on, Mike! Be honest! Guards Red or bust!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:10 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Haha. The 3D configurator is addictive. I must've used it a few dozen times before asking a final decision.
BIG HELP-Both of you!-lol!

Man, I REALLY need to find someone to give me a ride in the GT3. I am soooo having second thoughts about giving up the power of my beautiful TTS cab. My concern is that everyone seems to say that the car is glorious "when you get it wound up". Is it THAT similar to a regular C2S at lower speeds/revs? Mine was way to low on power. I don't want to step don but i DO want that visceral experience.......see, I am a neurotic mess!

FYI-a buddy of mine described it as a "slightly faster C2S" and when you look at the stats it makes you wonder...

75+ extra HP
C2S weighs LESS (in both manual and PDK variants)
Same TQ

HHHHmmmmm.....will one of you PLEASE bring your GT3 to GA?
Old 06-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

BIG HELP-Both of you!-lol!

Man, I REALLY need to find someone to give me a ride in the GT3. I am soooo having second thoughts about giving up the power of my beautiful TTS cab. My concern is that everyone seems to say that the car is glorious "when you get it wound up". Is it THAT similar to a regular C2S at lower speeds/revs? Mine was way to low on power. I don't want to step don but i DO want that visceral experience.......see, I am a neurotic mess!

FYI-a buddy of mine described it as a "slightly faster C2S" and when you look at the stats it makes you wonder...

75+ extra HP
C2S weighs LESS (in both manual and PDK variants)
Same TQ

HHHHmmmmm.....will one of you PLEASE bring your GT3 to GA?
And I thought we were just messin' with you about color! I had a 997.2 C2S with PDK, the sport chassis and exhaust and the lightweight sport buckets. The GT3 is a BIG step up all around from that car. Your 991 S would have been faster than my 997 but still Its not in the same league as the GT3. If you're that conflicted maybe you should pass although I'd wager once you get that GT3 ride you'll regret not getting one. Not much help, I know...

Quick Reply: 911 base vs gt3