Sponsored by:

Tidbits from the Factory

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Tidbits from the Factory

Had an absolutely incredible day today. Did the Factory tour in the morning then met up with my Porsche Motorsport friend Henry in the afternoon. Guys like Henry are the reason why I know that Porsche still has people with a passion for building proper sports cars. He graciously arranged for a private tour of the Museum with one of the guides as well as giving me a personal in-depth look at the Restoration Shop.

Then Henry took me to an area that was so special that no pictures were allowed and I can't even be too specific about. I'll just ask; do you remember the scene from the end of the first Indiana Jones movie where they are taking the Ark of the Covenant to be stored away in the immense warehouse full of irreplaceable treasures? That's what it reminded me of. As a Porsche fan, I now know what heaven is like. I'll post some pics that I was able to take in other places when I get back.

My main reason for positing this now is that I asked a lot of questions related to our GT3's and found out a few things that folks may be interested in:

1) I didn't see a single GT3 on the assembly line. Our guide said that to the best of his knowledge 2014 GT3 production has been completed. Series production of 2015's won't start for several weeks.

2) The 2014 cars that are scheduled for engine replacement will NOT be reinserted into the production line. They will have their engines replaced at a separate location, in the same fashion as is being done for Cat A customers.

3) It varies according to what the ongoing problem rate is, but typically only 1% of engines are run in hot, with the remaining 99% tested cold on electric jigs. However, 100% of the replacement engines were run in hot, the same as in the old days with the hand built air cooled motors. This may be where the earlier rumors about every engine being completely broken in on the dyno came from.

4) The replacement engines were built on the same engine assembly line as the rest of the boxer motors. A third shift was added to provide the additional capacity.

I asked as many GT3 questions as I could without making a complete pest of myself, so sorry if I didn't get an answer to something that you might have thought important. It's also possible that I'm not remembering something relevant as I write this so ask and it may jog my memory.

Some other factoids not directly related but that I found interesting:

7% of all cars are still test driven on public roads.

It takes 7 hours from the time a painted body shell enters the assembly building to the time when the marriage of drivetrain and body occurs. The building process for the engine of that drivetrain doesn't begin until the body starts on the line.

Engine parts arrive in small shipments and sit in the staging area for no more than 90 minutes before being moved to the floor. There is enough inventory at any given time to build engines for only 0.8 of a day.

There are so many different combinations of options that on average in a 6 month period only 2 cars are produced that are exactly the same.

As a car and Porsche fan I can't imagine a better day that didn't actually involve driving.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:52 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Sounds like an awesome day!

Just curious - any discussion on timing of delivery after production of 2015's begin? How long it is expected to take from order to completion?
Old 06-26-2014, 02:00 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,
This is so very awesome. Thank you so much for this valuable information that we know we can trust. Glad you are having fun and it sounds like the factory tour (even if "just" a public one) should be on my bucket list.
Sam
Old 06-26-2014, 02:02 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

One question. So the engines ran hot. Is that considered enough for a break in? Can we drive all out after 100 miles as has been rumored?
Old 06-26-2014, 02:07 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
One question. So the engines ran hot. Is that considered enough for a break in? Can we drive all out after 100 miles as has been rumored?
Thx Mike..
Sam.. Thats exactly what I was wondering. the $1000 question for me.
My service mgr said his instruction were to keep it under 7,000 rpm for the 24 mile test run. Are we suppose to interpret it's run in after that?
I'll see what Sam & Mike do and just copy. LOL
Old 06-26-2014, 02:09 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by LateBrake911
Thx Mike..
Sam.. Thats exactly what I was wondering. the $1000 question for me.
My service mgr said his instruction were to keep it under 7,000 rpm for the 24 mile test run.
That is what I was told as well and I believe up to 7,000 is fine and dandy but am dying to know when to go to 9,000. Not that I can drive a car that does that

Hopefully Mike will clarify once and for all.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:11 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by LateBrake911
I'll see what Sam & Mike do and just copy. LOL
If there is no answer about this, Mike will likely be gentle for many miles and I will be gentle as well. He will stay under 7,000 and I will stay under 9,001
Old 06-26-2014, 02:25 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Had an absolutely incredible day today. Did the Factory tour in the morning then met up with my Porsche Motorsport friend Henry in the afternoon. Guys like Henry are the reason why I know that Porsche still has people with a passion for building proper sports cars. He graciously arranged for a private tour of the Museum with one of the guides as well as giving me a personal in-depth look at the Restoration Shop. Then Henry took me to an area that was so special that no pictures were allowed and I can't even be too specific about. I'll just ask; do you remember the scene from the end of the first Indiana Jones movie where they are taking the Ark of the Covenant to be stored away in the immense warehouse full of irreplaceable treasures? That's what it reminded me of. As a Porsche fan, I now know what heaven is like. I'll post some pics that I was able to take in other places when I get back. My main reason for positing this now is that I asked a lot of questions related to our GT3's and found out a few things that folks may be interested in: 1) I didn't see a single GT3 on the assembly line. Our guide said that to the best of his knowledge 2014 GT3 production has been completed. Series production of 2015's won't start for several weeks. 2) The 2014 cars that are scheduled for engine replacement will NOT be reinserted into the production line. They will have their engines replaced at a separate location, in the same fashion as is being done for Cat A customers. 3) It varies according to what the ongoing problem rate is, but typically only 1% of engines are run in hot, with the remaining 99% tested cold on electric jigs. However, 100% of the replacement engines were run in hot, the same as in the old days with the hand built air cooled motors. This may be where the earlier rumors about every engine being completely broken in on the dyno came from. 4) The replacement engines were built on the same engine assembly line as the rest of the boxer motors. A third shift was added to provide the additional capacity. I asked as many GT3 questions as I could without making a complete pest of myself, so sorry if I didn't get an answer to something that you might have thought important. It's also possible that I'm not remembering something relevant as I write this so ask and it may jog my memory. Some other factoids not directly related but that I found interesting: 7% of all cars are still test driven on public roads. It takes 7 hours from the time a painted body shell enters the assembly building to the time when the marriage of drivetrain and body occurs. The building process for the engine of that drivetrain doesn't begin until the body starts on the line. Engine parts arrive in small shipments and sit in the staging area for no more than 90 minutes before being moved to the floor. There is enough inventory at any given time to build engines for only 0.8 of a day. There are so many different combinations of options that on average in a 6 month period only 2 cars are produced that are exactly the same. As a car and Porsche fan I can't imagine a better day that didn't actually involve driving.
Mike -- Thanks so much for this!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Sounds like an awesome day!

Just curious - any discussion on timing of delivery after production of 2015's begin? How long it is expected to take from order to completion?
Sorry mwar99, there was no discussion about this. My thought, though, is that once production of a 2015 car begins there's no reason why delivery should be any longer than usual, ie 4-6 weeks depending on your location.

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Sam, the guide told me that a typical hot run in would be about 20 minutes which obviously wouldn't be enough to break in the motor. My belief is that it would be similar to the dyno test and run in that used to be done on every air cooled motor. That run in was never considered a true "break-in" either.

Based on what I was told, the engines weren't run long enough to actually be broken in. Given the number of engines that were involved, just from a practical standpoint that seems to make sense to me. I think it will still come down to how each individual owner wants to handle their own break in. In my case, unless I find out differently, I will do my usual slightly more aggressive than factory break-in. In your case, you may be pulling 9001 rpm next week.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:12 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the update, Mike! Hope you're having a great trip! Where are you headed next?
Old 06-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Wow thanks for sharing very informative to say the least. Just found out my 2015 production date is 9/15 with a 11/7 delivery date to the dealer scheduled for now. I have until 7/24 to make changes before it locks down
Old 06-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike for the information. Very interesting to know about the hot run. It also make me feel good that Porsche is white gloving the GT3 line.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

factory tour is a must do. We did it back in October, I was surprised the wife really enjoyed it and wanted to just hang around and watch the building. We saw a couple cup cars on the line being built and in the final assembly area where they pull the cars off of the line, due to the full cage two guys finish the build.

At that time we saw several GT3 ready for shipping and few running around the factory grounds, car sounded sic. I wanted that job. The cars were being driven very rev happy and with the sounds bouncing off the buildings. Just made you want one so bad....
Old 06-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Regardless of all the different info we are getting on break-in; I am going to stay under 7000 rpms for the fist 500 miles and then will let her rip. For me, I can live with that and every one can do what gives them a piece of mind
Old 06-26-2014, 04:15 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Regardless of all the different info we are getting on break-in; I am going to stay under 7000 rpms for the fist 500 miles and then will let her rip. For me, I can live with that and every one can do what gives them a piece of mind
Jim -- I'm with you. Maybe I'll do 2 tanks of gas. Then? Open the floodgates. We're not far off now...

Quick Reply: Tidbits from the Factory