Sponsored by:

Tidbits from the Factory

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
My pleasure Mark and thanks. I did not ask about break-in but I'm sure the guide would have told me the same thing I was told when I picked up my '09 Carrera S at the factory; make sure the engine is warmed up, vary engine speeds, and don't use cruise but otherwise let 'er rip. Even my Porsche friend Henry suggested keeping revs under 7000 for the first 7-800 miles then gradually increasing after that, which is much more lenient than what's in the manual. Despite that, it was too hard for me to break 40+ years worth of break in habits. There's also the input from our RL friend Gary Sims (simsgw) who sadly passed away last year. Gary was an accomplished aerospace engineer and long time car guy. He and I had long e-mail discussions about metallurgy, thermodynamics, and NASA protocols (Gary "talked" and I "listened") and he reinforced my concerns about "abusing" new engines as legitimate. Of course that was just his opinion, but he was a smart guy and a gentleman that I miss greatly. Anyway, I'm going to keep my car a long time and I know how I will be comfortable breaking in the engine. Others have a different comfort level and I appreciate that, so whatever makes you happy. Life is indeed too short!
Thanks for taking the time to write about your trip.

It gives me great pleasure whenever I'm reminded of simsgw(Gary). I've used to read his posts with great interest! What a knowledgeable guy,he is missed dearly. He was a strong believer in the break in period and his arguments have always made sense to me.

Enjoy the rest of your time in Europe!
Old 06-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks rodsky and Nick!
Old 06-28-2014, 02:40 PM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike really great to read about your impressions and experience on your factory tour. I will be in Germany for the tour in mid September I wish I could get a VIP tour like you did. Looks my 2014 delivery is 6-8 weeks after my visit. It will suck if I see a bunch of 15's sitting around. I changed my color back in the day based on your initial pics! So glad you'll be getting your car back soon and I hope you post more great GR pic's.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cyrek
Mike really great to read about your impressions and experience on your factory tour. I will be in Germany for the tour in mid September I wish I could get a VIP tour like you did. Looks my 2014 delivery is 6-8 weeks after my visit. It will suck if I see a bunch of 15's sitting around. I changed my color back in the day based on your initial pics! So glad you'll be getting your car back soon and I hope you post more great GR pic's.
Thanks, Cyrek. I'll probably have to post a least a couple of gratuitous GR pics when my car comes back. I really hope Porsche beats the estimates for you guys that are still waiting!
Old 06-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When do you plan on doing your first oil Change? Send Off Sample to be analyzed, Magnetic Drainage Bolt - etc...
Old 06-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
When do you plan on doing your first oil Change? Send Off Sample to be analyzed, Magnetic Drainage Bolt - etc...
Never had an oil analysis done... been years since I used a magnetic drain plug. I do a change at the end of break-in and then once a year or every 5K miles whichever comes first. I like to think I'm being reasonable, not a fanatic although if someone wants to be a fanatic it's their car so why should anyone else care?
Old 06-28-2014, 04:21 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Despite that, it was too hard for me to break 40+ years worth of break in habits. There's also the input from our RL friend Gary Sims (simsgw) who sadly passed away last year. Gary was an accomplished aerospace engineer and long time car guy. He and I had long e-mail discussions about metallurgy, thermodynamics, and NASA protocols (Gary "talked" and I "listened") and he reinforced my concerns about "abusing" new engines as legitimate. Of course that was just his opinion, but he was a smart guy and a gentleman that I miss greatly.
Thanks Mike. WOW it is a small world. I did not know you were friends with Gary Sims. I knew Gary from a long time ago, and owe to him Lots of my success today. In 1994 thru 1996 I started developing a 3D graphical design software, which was the first of its kind at the time to design centrifugal runners (impellers) for turbines, pumps, compressors and few other turbo Machinary equipment and some of the work started as I worked on a project that was owned by the US Army core of engineers. I spent close to 2 years developing this software which is currently used by my own company and other companies as well. Cut long story short, visual C++ was used for most of the virtual data that had to be created on the fly and I was having trouble, and especially as person of mechanical engineering background and who was trying to teach himself how to program using C++, so a friend of mine and due to the complexity of the code I had to create, asked me to contact Gary sims with Stonehaven Laboratory, and I believe he was one of the owners, and I do remember I was very nervous, the first time I contacted him, not knowing what his reaction would be, or could he even help me, and especially I was very broke back then and could not offer him much money. Well Gary the first class act he was and the most amazing gentlemen I ever met, proceeded without hesitation and free of charge in his spare time to teach me and help me without any hesitation build my software modules and refused to take any money and spent many weeks if not months just educating me, and probably some of the best education I recieved anywhere. After the project ended we kept casual contact over the years and I always had the utmost respect for this great individual. Sure knowing our both A personalities we disagreed on some technical issues, but he was always gracious, and very humble, so I always used to say Gary is always right, and even when he is wrong he is right. What a great invidiual, rest in peace Gary Sims. As matter of fact my interest in Porsches and also later NSX was a result of his contact with him.

Really a small world Mike.

On a quick note on the break in, and kidding aside I too come from the old school regarding the break in of engines, but I also honestly don't believe an occasional red RPM moments during break in is going to over stress the engine, and probably is more helpful than harmful in ensuring you seat the rings properly. So stressing a Porsche engine and especially in the street with an occasional infrequent red line here and there and especially after engine is properly warmed would not hurt the engine. However taking the car to the track or an autocross to a lesser degree that is hard on the engine, the car, the tires, and other mechanical components etc as you are staying at these high revs for extended periods of time, combined with high G forces can be stressful to an engine and is best left until you have moderately worked up your mechanical components during some period of time which is what people refer to break in period. This period is open to interpretation and in my opinion if you have done a good job, breaking in the engine with varying loads(RPM's & Speeds) and with properly warmed engine, can be reduced from conservative manual 2000 miles, say 900 - 1200 miles. Sometimes this longer period is not done for the sake of the engine but rather for the new drivers to get familiar and especially with a high performance car. So even though I may soon starting to reach the 9K RPM infrequently I would not take the car to an event or track before probably 1000 miles, and I do believe the occasional High RPM stunts is more helpful than hurtful for the engine in particular. On my abarath that I bought few months back, the manual states the breakin period is 300 miles only, which was different from my 2012 Fiat 500 which stated 2000 miles break in, and after some research discovered the factory is more worried about the rings not seating properly on this little turboed engine, rather than other engine components fail and that was the priority. Hope this helps and thank you for bringing up the name of Gary Sims which I consider one of my greatest teachers, God bless his soul. Mark

Last edited by mqandil; 06-28-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:32 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Never had an oil analysis done... been years since I used a magnetic drain plug. I do a change at the end of break-in and then once a year or every 5K miles whichever comes first. I like to think I'm being reasonable, not a fanatic although if someone wants to be a fanatic it's their car so why should anyone else care?
Most oil filters and especially recently are more capable than anytime before removing the smallest impurities from the oil. I would worry more about excessive moisture in the oil, or wrong oil type, rather than few tiny metal flakes. Mark
Old 06-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I think Gary would have enjoyed hearing that from you, Mark. We corresponded but I only met him in person twice, the last time on a great afternoon drive right after he got his white 991 S. He brought it up to the Bay Area for a visit just a couple of months before his death. He was one of those guys that, even after a few meetings, you felt like you'd known for a long time.

Being human, I'm not able to resist the occasional romp on the throttle even during break-in, so I'm guilty of occasionally running up the revs as well. But in general I would try to keep the revs under 5K for the 500 miles, with no full throttle, under 6-7K and only occasional full throttle from 500-1K miles, then gradually build from there. I won't autocross my car before 2K miles. At 2K I'll do an oil change and then I'll feel good to go.

That's just what I do and feel comfortable with....not trying to convince anyone else.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mqandil
Most oil filters and especially recently are more capable than anytime before removing the smallest impurities from the oil. I would worry more about excessive moisture in the oil, or wrong oil type, rather than few tiny metal flakes. Mark
Which is why I no longer bother with a magnetic drain plug...
Old 06-28-2014, 04:56 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I appreciated every sub 5k revolution second in that car ;-)
Old 06-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^^
Old 06-28-2014, 05:20 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

I think Gary would have enjoyed hearing that from you, Mark. We corresponded but I only met him in person twice, the last time on a great afternoon drive right after he got his white 991 S. He brought it up to the Bay Area for a visit just a couple of months before his death. He was one of those guys that, even after a few meetings, you felt like you'd known for a long time.

That's just what I do and feel comfortable with....not trying to convince anyone else.
Indeed he was one of those individuals that you had an immediate connection with and as if you knew him for years. Just a magnetic personality. Again I say what a small world.

As for the break in, I actually share most of your views on it, with some very slight differences, and respect your opinions dearly

Mark
Old 07-01-2014, 12:42 AM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

An exciting trip for you. I hope for European delivery next year on my GT3.
Thanks for all of the new information. Have a safe trip home.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^^ Thanks John!

Quick Reply: Tidbits from the Factory