Sponsored by:

991 turbo cab vs 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Leon Garabet
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 991 turbo cab vs 991 GT3

I had a 2014 991 Turbo cat and love this car. But at the same time I hate the car because I have been through some really nice exotics and this car has no emotion. I have just got out of a McLaren MP12 because I needed to have a daily driver and a fun car all in one. Didn't have the parking room for two cars plus my wife's car. I have placed my order for the GT3 and was just wondering what you guys thought about it as a daily driver I do not go on the track at all. I just want a car that has more emotion and has that nice downshift blurt. The turbo is great because I can put the top down and get some sun but the car is extremely boring. I can always back away from my order I just wanted to get some input from you guys. Will I miss the power from the turbo when I go to a gt3? Is the power that significant? I noticed at the dealership that the GT3 does have a smaller ***. Looks turbo has a wider stance. Let's get some opinions......
Old 06-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 721 Posts

You will find the power pretty equal but just delivered differently. Turbos always have that very slight lag that I never liked but then it had a great punch. NA engines just are more linear from my experience, which I like. The GT3 will certainly be more emotional form the exhaust sound which the Turbo can not touch and the wing ect - looks the part. Plus, you will certainly get more attention in the GT3.

I do not have my GT3 yet(have had the Turbo), but form what all have been saying it is good as a DD. Will it be better than the Turbo - no. And that is why the Turbo is boring, and I agree.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:45 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was gong to get a white cab turbo If I couldn't get a GT3. I"m glad I persisted and got the GT3. I went to test a 997 turbo, and 997.2 GT3 and after they started and reved the turbo I lost interest as it sounded so docile. -- I drove the GT3 and felt like I was in an Indy 500 car compared to the Turbo. Much better feeling as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:03 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^ this
Old 06-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon Garabet
I had a 2014 991 Turbo cat and love this car. But at the same time I hate the car because I have been through some really nice exotics and this car has no emotion. I have just got out of a McLaren MP12 because I needed to have a daily driver and a fun car all in one. Didn't have the parking room for two cars plus my wife's car. I have placed my order for the GT3 and was just wondering what you guys thought about it as a daily driver I do not go on the track at all. I just want a car that has more emotion and has that nice downshift blurt. The turbo is great because I can put the top down and get some sun but the car is extremely boring. I can always back away from my order I just wanted to get some input from you guys. Will I miss the power from the turbo when I go to a gt3? Is the power that significant? I noticed at the dealership that the GT3 does have a smaller ***. Looks turbo has a wider stance. Let's get some opinions......
Just to add some insight my buddy has a 991 turbo, and it's less than a year old and he's trading it for a GT3. He went from a C2S to the turbo, and I said he would regret it. I drove the turbo, and it's scary fast with the boost, but like the other other poster I like the NA motor. My DD is a 2013 M5 which is a good daily, and crazy fast. The GT3 will get more seat time when I take delivery in Novemeber. Good luck
Old 06-26-2014, 03:09 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Leon, while this is not the same comparison I think it will give you some excellent insight.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...s-991-gt3.html

Good luck!

Dave
Old 06-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 721 Posts

I had a 2007 997.2 Turbo and is was also crazy fast. I believe it was rated at 3.8 seconds to 60 mph and 3.6 with the Sports chrono. That is why I am licking my chops at the 3.3 seconds 0-60 mph on the GT3. Now, there are other cars that can beat that but not with the complete package( NA, handling, Big wing( love it),engine noise ect..- Can not wait
Old 06-26-2014, 06:10 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Just curious Leon, if I may. I DD a 997.2 TT (opted not to order a 991 GT3 since I only have space for 1 car like you and the TT would be a better DD considering rush hour traffic I go through every day) - why would a 12C not be a good daily driver? Too hard, too flashy, or not as reliable as Porsches? I am asking since I was thinking about a 12C as my next DD. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

not 991
but had 993tt
944 t
996tt three of them
none of which I kept longer than 28 days
I tried hard to like them....
I kept most of gt3 longer than 90 days. so I think gt is more lasting for me
Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No question about it, the GT cars have far more emotion than the Turbos (and I think this gap is widening with each generation). I stopped with Turbos at the 997 generation - like you, I really didn't connect with that car and I sold it after 18 months after putting only about 3000 miles on it. The sound was disappointing (even with an exhaust), and I think I had been spoiled at that point with a high-revving, good-sounding N/A engine in my Audi RS 4 (even though obviously that car was much slower).

Even though I dropped considerable HP going from Turbo to GT3, I don't miss it for a second. The throttle response is so much more engaging than the "turbo shove" (which is still entertaining, but throttle response is easier to exploit and enjoy). The GT3 sound of course is fantastic. The car feels so much more alive in your hands and the chassis/feedback are more rewarding.

That said, the GT3 as a daily driver and no track time is a different proposition. Certainly with the 991 generation, PDK, and "regular" (non-bucket) seats you have a pretty livable car. Road noise in the 997 RS is horrible, and the car is completely wasted poking your way through traffic. For that reason, I'd rather jump in my Cayenne or drive something else if the roads are not going to open up a little for me.

Based on your post, I would definitely ditch the Turbo and either get a GT3 or 458. If it were me and I weren't tracking, I would have maybe kept the McLaren!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:34 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Just to add some insight my buddy has a 991 turbo, and it's less than a year old and he's trading it for a GT3. He went from a C2S to the turbo, and I said he would regret it. I drove the turbo, and it's scary fast with the boost, but like the other other poster I like the NA motor. My DD is a 2013 M5 which is a good daily, and crazy fast. The GT3 will get more seat time when I take delivery in Novemeber. Good luck
Hey, I'm reading between the lines here...is this you Henry?-lol!

And YES I AM trading my TTS Cab for the GT3. However, I LOVE my TTS Cab and I DO think I will miss the insane power. Part of me is trading it because I love the intoxicating feel and sound of that NA motor behind me. But also, my GT3 arrives in November and that will be 8 months with the TTS-a record for me over the past couple of years. I still have the 458 Spider, Huracan AND the GT3 on order. For me it's just as much the sickness as the want for the car...however, the want is REALLY nagging at me :-)

For the record...I am so intrigued by this car that I am likely passing on the spider for it in August and if I like it as much as I suspect, I will also pass on the Huracan. The GT3 is just one very special car. You can get a Ferrari and a Lambo any day-the GT3 is a different story. It's a car that will always be "special". Ugh...the wait is going to drive me nuts!

And get rid of that pig of a DD you have-hahahahahahaha! Kidding! I still love the F12 M6 cab (even though it's technically, sort of, I guess, hers...)
Old 06-27-2014, 12:29 AM
mikemiaos
Instructor

Originally Posted by ColdList
Hey, I'm reading between the lines here...is this you Henry?-lol!

And YES I AM trading my TTS Cab for the GT3. However, I LOVE my TTS Cab and I DO think I will miss the insane power. Part of me is trading it because I love the intoxicating feel and sound of that NA motor behind me. But also, my GT3 arrives in November and that will be 8 months with the TTS-a record for me over the past couple of years. I still have the 458 Spider, Huracan AND the GT3 on order. For me it's just as much the sickness as the want for the car...however, the want is REALLY nagging at me :-)

For the record...I am so intrigued by this car that I am likely passing on the spider for it in August and if I like it as much as I suspect, I will also pass on the Huracan. The GT3 is just one very special car. You can get a Ferrari and a Lambo any day-the GT3 is a different story. It's a car that will always be "special". Ugh...the wait is going to drive me nuts!

And get rid of that pig of a DD you have-hahahahahahaha! Kidding! I still love the F12 M6 cab (even though it's technically, sort of, I guess, hers...)

I got my TTS because I couldn't get a GT3 after a year waiting due to the fire issue. I am happy with the TTS although it's lack of emotion and it's too soft, but it's a perfect daily drive to me. I bet I would miss it if I traded it for a GT3. But it doesn't make sense to me to have both TTS and GT3 since they are both DD. So I am going to keep my TTS and wait for the new RS, which I can track and drive coupe of times a week for fun.

Last edited by mikemiaos; 06-27-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:34 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

I don't think the current Turbos have the Aura or Mystic of the Turbos of the 80's and 90's.
I was at a stoplight in my black 911 loaner with some dark shades, and some chicago street peddler keept calling me Will Smith from Bad Boyz trying so shake me down for some greens..

-- I forgot about the movie, so I watched it and saw what looked like a 930 turbo. Dang.. As a Kid thats' what I remember of the Turbo. Raw, Out of Control, Obnoxious . My mom hated it cause of the Whale Tale, which made me like it even more.. LOL..
Attached Images   
Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Btw. Found this page with picts of GT3 next to Turbo.. Even thought the Turbo is wider, I think the GT3 looks more aggressive from the Rear..
http://911-turbo.blogspot.com/2013/0...rear-wing.html
Attached Images    
Old 06-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Bad Boys Porsche was a 1994 964 3.6 turbo.....and in the movie sounded rather impressive...unlike its hair dryer like progeny....

Quick Reply: 991 turbo cab vs 991 GT3