Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 turbo cab vs 991 GT3

Old 06-28-2014, 02:45 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Mike, it sounds like the transition from the 360 to the 430.
Yes. Very much so. That is what I was going to say yesterday. Not a huge jump in actual differences. Seems they do that with every 2 gens. They make the design changes minimal.

Originally Posted by Nick
Regarding your question between TTS and Gt3, I went from a 430 Spider to a 997.2 TT cab. The Cab was a terrific car and I enjoyed driving it. BUT, it was not exciting to drive. By that I mean it was too refined and not raw enough for my taste. The Cab would have trounced my Spider but the Spider was much more fun to drive.

I decided to buy the 991 GT3 for four reasons. First, it is now PDK . Manual to me was old technology and after driving F1 and PDK I did not wan to go back. Second, the 991GT3 was made more compliant for DD. After driving the Scuderia several times and getting a headache I wanted a car I could enjoy driving without taking aspirin. Third, despite being more conducive for DD, the GT3 still maintained its rawness and in the Porsche line the most exciting to drive. Fourth, the price. When you consider what you are getting for a base price of $130,000 there is no doubt in my mind it is the performance value of this century.
This is very helpful Nick. Thank you. These are the reasons I want to make the switch as well. I want the raw feel yet to be able to DD this car without being driven mad. This is how I feel about the spider-just "too much too often". I also prefer a PDK. The manual rowing to me is ancient technology. And you are right-it is by far the best value for the $. Not that I place the most weight on that since these are "wants" but it certainly does factor in. At this point, for me at least, I really think it's just the flat out best car for me at any price point. Porsche just has that "feel" that I like. Ferrari doesn't give that to me. I recently took an FF home for a weekend and honestly I liked driving it more than I liked the 458. Can't wait to get my GT3. Thanks for your input. REALLY helpful.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:46 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by nash
You are right, I should rather say at 100+mph it really starts to separate from the pack. PDK Turbos are wicked off the line too of course!

GT3 is all about FEEL, that is for sure. If you can arrange a test drive or even ride with a friend/dealer (maybe they have a 997 on the lot you can go for a spin in), I think it will assuage your fears.
I suspect you are correct!

I am trying to get a ride in one.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:48 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Awesome!! Now go get you one and share the hunt experience.
Oh the wait...ugh.

For the past few years I have been flipping cars every 3-4 months. Now I have full 4 moths to wait on my GT3! I might lose my mind.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:11 AM
AWW100
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColdList
Oh the wait...ugh.

For the past few years I have been flipping cars every 3-4 months. Now I have full 4 moths to wait on my GT3! I might lose my mind.
I just read this thread and I am actually in the market trying to decide which car to buy. I just came off owning a 612 for 6 months losing 20K on it because it just got too much attractions everywhere. I was annoyed that I couldn't even go to Starbucks without getting worried. The main reason I bought the 612 was its V12 exhaust. Amazing. The ride...ehhhhh.....not so good: feels old and big. Not precise.

I have a daughter in 4th grade so I want to get a car that wife, daughter and I can go out on weekends in it but the GT3 is a 2 seater. I am like Coldlist that I don't track. I live in NYC so it snows (Dec-Mar). I am torn between the TTS and GT3 but based on what you guys are saying, I will get bored with the TTS. Any suggestions? Should I ignore other people or the weather and just get the "fun" car?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,727 Likes on 4,760 Posts

Originally Posted by AWW100
I just read this thread and I am actually in the market trying to decide which car to buy. I just came off owning a 612 for 6 months losing 20K on it because it just got too much attractions everywhere. I was annoyed that I couldn't even go to Starbucks without getting worried. The main reason I bought the 612 was its V12 exhaust. Amazing. The ride...ehhhhh.....not so good: feels old and big. Not precise.

I have a daughter in 4th grade so I want to get a car that wife, daughter and I can go out on weekends in it but the GT3 is a 2 seater. I am like Coldlist that I don't track. I live in NYC so it snows (Dec-Mar). I am torn between the TTS and GT3 but based on what you guys are saying, I will get bored with the TTS. Any suggestions? Should I ignore other people or the weather and just get the "fun" car?
Even as a 911 fan, for some reason the TTS does very little for me.

If not the GT3, perhaps the new Ferrari California T?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:36 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

It appears with you family the Gt3 while not be an option so no back seats. I do not know what else will offer what you want for you family "sports car". May be a M3- that may work
Old 09-25-2014, 02:34 AM
AWW100
Instructor

The problem is it has to be a Porsche brand car due to some personal matters with the dealer.
Was looking at Macan Turbo or S but everyone said it's not a sports car. I understand. Just trying to balance all.
Obviously I want to spend the money on a car that is interesting and be used. I had a 991 C2 and sold it after 15 months with only 4500 miles.
Still can't decide!!!
Old 09-25-2014, 09:29 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

so my solution to this problem is....991 Carrera GTS (maybe the 4).....which could be released at Paris next week...or LA in Nov....

Normally aspirated exhaust note..coupled to few chassis/horsepower (X51) tweaks...maybe RWS...2+2..and if you want AWD.....select such...

Prospective deposit placed.

RS remains in the stable...don't think I need to explain why
Old 09-25-2014, 10:04 AM
AWW100
Instructor

I was originally thinking about the GTS but I need to wait a lonnnnnnnnng time. Meanwhile, I wanted to lease a smart car for a few months (36 months lease is less than. 5K) but got veto by wife.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:00 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

The idea that the 991 Turbo is a "boring" car is somewhere between hilarity and insanity, I just can't pinpoint it.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Just saw a black turbo.. With black headlights.. It looked absolutely menacing. The man had a huge grin when he got out, he didn't look bored.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sportscentury
The idea that the 991 Turbo is a "boring" car is somewhere between hilarity and insanity, I just can't pinpoint it.
rather depends on what you want from your automotive experience.

the lithe, immersive, visceral, aurally scintillating experience that is GT3....is not, of recent, the Turbo calling card...

apparent that Porsche took some of the "anodyne, hairdryer" critique levelled at the 997 Turbo to heart...as the 991 Turbo...seems to have reconnected (somewhat) with the driver.....

suffice on my list to find out.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:55 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I often wonder how car companies like Porsche struggle with engineering character back into a car. We generally Define character as quirkiness, a rough edge here or there, "feel", "sound"... All these attributes which can correlate quite closely with poor development or lack of technology. So as technology inexorably progresses, cars lose their "character".. Becoming smoother, quieter, faster, easier to drive.. ... What a conundrum for an engineer to achieve perfection, and then have to work some flaw back in just to appeal to us dumb-dumbs who don't care about ultimate performance (otherwise we would all buy a turbo) and are instead searching for "character"... Where are the retired Tvr engineers when you need them.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Where are the retired Tvr engineers when you need them.
i dare say watching this place:

http://tvr.co.uk/

(yes..TVR might just be back....)
Old 09-26-2014, 12:49 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,727 Likes on 4,760 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
When I say "boring" it's not necessarily in a negative way.

The TTS is almost too perfect and easy to drive at speed that you tend to lose the emotional aspects of manning a motor and traveling on a road.

To take an analogy. It's like wearing a digital watch that automatically syncs to the Atomic clock. Perfect, infallible and just a technological masterpiece.

But sometimes you yearn for the charms of a hand-wound automatic watch like a Patek, with an in-house movement that's painstakingly decorated for no utilitarian reason other than aesthetics and which keeps time just fine if you consider "accuracy" more a luxury than a requisite standard feature of a wristwatch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 turbo cab vs 991 GT3