Sponsored by:

While we wait...

Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 PM
CAlexio
Super User

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyrek View Post
I want to see the bike.
we are still working on the bellypan, and the fork covers and the tank paint... but here she is... 180 hours of aluminum shaping later...

Old 07-14-2014, 01:26 AM
orthojoe
Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been wanting to share this for a while, but this project didn't finish until this weekend. My GT3 was supposed to arrive last month, so I had plans to make room for the car in anticipation for it. Garage is done now, room has been made, but now it's back to waiting. Until November...

Before pics

Old 07-14-2014, 01:30 AM
0Q991
Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
I've been wanting to share this for a while, but this project didn't finish until this weekend. My GT3 was supposed to arrive last month, so I had plans to make room for the car in anticipation for it. Garage is done now, room has been made, but now it's back to waiting. Until November... Before pics
Awesome garage! The new addition will be worth the wait.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:41 AM
JCBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Awesome garage! Great job. The GT3 will look terrific in there.
Jeff
Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 AM
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Really sweet, Joe! I'm jealous.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:59 AM
<3mph
Super User

AMAZING! Really great job on this.
Couple questions if you don't mind: why did you go with the standard door opener in the middle, but jackshaft openers elsewhere? how high is the ceiling in your garage?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:18 AM
orthojoe
Super User

Thanks, guys!

Originally Posted by <3mph View Post
AMAZING! Really great job on this.
Couple questions if you don't mind: why did you go with the standard door opener in the middle, but jackshaft openers elsewhere? how high is the ceiling in your garage?
Thanks!

I had to go with the standard door opener in the middle because the support beams that you see coming down from the ceiling prevented me from mounting a jackshaft in the center. Kind of a bummer, but there was no way around it.

Ceiling height is 116 inches. GT3 and spyder are 50" high each, and you need 8" extra inches of room to account for the height of the ramps and height to get the lift off the locks. Technically you want a minimum of 108". I still have some space, but not much.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:21 AM
jcoles
User

I'm jealous. Wow....
Old 07-14-2014, 02:47 AM
<3mph
Super User

Thanks. I'll have to measure my garage height, but I'm afraid I'm a little short of the required height to do the lift.
FWIW, we have a similar beam (problem) to yours but were able to rig a chain to connect the jackshaft motor to the torsion tube to permit the motor to sit lower down below the beam. Photo below worth a 1000 words. You might have room to try this if you'd rather switch to the wall mount opener in the middle too. Liftmaster sells an attachment that does this, but we needed a more custom job for a greater distance. Garage door people found it was simple enough, once I talked them into doing this. Just a thought.
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2014, 03:06 AM
MarcusG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great looking garages guys!

I wish I didn't live in a tiny house with a tiny garage down near the ocean. I can't see doing something nice with my 20x20. Oh well.

JCBH and Ortho Joe.

I could'nt help but notice. Looks like JCBH has a Subaru there behind your 996.

Orthojoe has a BRZ sitting there. Coincidence?

I think not. What is it with this variable? I've owned an STI as well. One I couldn't resist spending more with Prodrive than I did with the Subaru dealer. I've also owned of all things a Volvo V70R wagon. Yes, I made the wife drive a 300hp wagon with a chip and intake. She could have cared less. Lol.

I also noticed when I was faithfully filling out my new owners survey from Porsche a few months back that I had owned many of the other makes and models that the survey had asked if I'd been a previous owner of.

What is this? Is there a DNA strand that is strong through a cetain type of automobile buyer? Thank God they didn't ask me if I'd owned a SAAB. I haven't.

Sorry for the off topic tangent.

The Subaru in both garage pics interested me.

Last edited by MarcusG; 07-14-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:27 AM
neanicu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice garage!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:45 AM
alpine-al
User

Great garage. My two car garage is very similar. I've got the same color scheme (blue/white/black stripe with grey paint below the stripe. My lift is almost identical too. And similar cabinets.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:06 AM
GTEE3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very nice!
what type of flooring did you use?
thx!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:16 AM
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
I've been wanting to share this for a while, but this project didn't finish until this weekend. My GT3 was supposed to arrive last month, so I had plans to make room for the car in anticipation for it. Garage is done now, room has been made, but now it's back to waiting. Until November...
Awesome. Really nice.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:25 AM
orthojoe
Super User

Originally Posted by <3mph View Post
Thanks. I'll have to measure my garage height, but I'm afraid I'm a little short of the required height to do the lift.
FWIW, we have a similar beam (problem) to yours but were able to rig a chain to connect the jackshaft motor to the torsion tube to permit the motor to sit lower down below the beam. Photo below worth a 1000 words. You might have room to try this if you'd rather switch to the wall mount opener in the middle too. Liftmaster sells an attachment that does this, but we needed a more custom job for a greater distance. Garage door people found it was simple enough, once I talked them into doing this. Just a thought.
Doh! That would have been the perfect solution for me! I'm disappointed that my installer didn't know about this. Wish I had known about your solution beforehand.

Originally Posted by MarcusG View Post
JCBH and Ortho Joe.

I could'nt help but notice. Looks like JCBH has a Subaru there behind your 996.

Orthojoe has a BRZ sitting there. Coincidence?

I think not. What is it with this variable? I've owned an STI as well. One I couldn't resist spending more with Prodrive than I did with the Subaru dealer.

What is this? Is there a DNA strand that is strong through a cetain type of automobile buyer?
LOL. I agree it's not a coincidence. There are certain cars that enthusiasts are drawn to. I used to have an STi (and Evo) as well.

Originally Posted by alpine-al View Post
Great garage. My two car garage is very similar. I've got the same color scheme (blue/white/black stripe with grey paint below the stripe. My lift is almost identical too. And similar cabinets.
Nice! I wanna see pics of my garage twin now!

Originally Posted by GTEE3 View Post
Very nice!
what type of flooring did you use?
thx!
PEI grade 5 porcelain. Inspired by Jack Olson.
http://12-gaugegarage.com/
http://allgaragefloors.com/porcelain-tile-garage-floor/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: While we wait...

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: