Sponsored by:

Speciale vs 991 GT3 vs 650S

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:17 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
All three are just stunning and these are great times to see how competition brings out the Best; and we all benefit. I am looking forward to seeing the 650S in it's flesh. If any one has seen it I would be interested in your impressions. The 991 Gt3 to me, in it's flesh, is one stunning car. It does not just look like another "Porsche": It looks menacing and intimidating. Not pretty, like the Ferrari, but purposeful and good looking in a tough/rough kind of way. Ferraris are just a pieces of art. Love their looks. Now, The 12C is a decent looking car but , in a way, it just does not stir an equal level of emotion as the other two do. For example, I use to think the Audi R8 Spyder was a was a great looking car. I never cared for the looks of the Coupe so I bought a 2011 V10 Spyder, although I do not care for convertibles, but just thought the Spyder looked better. After owning it for several months, it just kind of lost its appeal. It was kind of weird. Its like the hot girl you meet in the bar one night and then the next day or a week later your like; WTF am I doing.(extreme example but you may understand). When I first saw the 12C I was impressed but after seeing it a couple more times it just did not move me any more - hard to explain.
So, I wonder if the 650S sort of has the staying power to stir one for a long period of time.
agree, like the 12c, but it just doesnt do it for me, just like the R8. I think this is one of the reason why the depreciation in so bad. I bet we'll see used 12c's nearing the $100k mark in about 3yrs.

Last edited by kosmo; 06-20-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ha, yes that's the only P1 actively going on sale in the US. Asking price is likely to be $1.9MM, so you might have to rob a couple of banks. The paint is very similar to volcano orange, but actually is a custom color which ran $30k to create. It's slightly more yellow and has more metallic flake. It literally looks like it's on fire in the sun.

Last edited by Hoopumpers; 07-14-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Here's a newly delivered 650S spider in volcano red, which looks pretty spectacular IMO. You really do need to see these cars in the flesh. I'll be driving a 991 GT3 finally for the first time this weekend and will post some comparison opinions.

The thrust in the 12C and 650S is just ludicrous. It feels like you're riding a sport bike. There's no way in hell the GT3 matches that rush. And the 12C/650 doesn't feel all that clinical, as many reviewers have stated, to me. For example, I was never enamored with the drive in a GTR, but am considering a Mclaren purchase. They've used a couple of tricks to make the 650S "feel" more emotive...primarily with noise between shifts and through the exhaust. It works to some extent.

My assumption is that the GT3 will just be much sharper, and hopefully allow more driver interaction at/over the limit of tire adhesion. The Mac doesn't like having traction control off, which is a rather large gripe for me. Turbo lag and throttle response is the other issue. It's better on the 650, but I agree with the reviews, it's not razor sharp at all. Press pedal...deep breath...NASA rocket launch

Speciale is sort of a pointless discussion as the car seems to be unobtainable, at least here in the states (without 100-120k markup for used).

Last edited by Hoopumpers; 07-14-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the GT3 easily kicks the Speciale in the ***** regarding the value-for-money, but as an all-out supercar, with money not being a subject, the Speciale still wins for me.

And please don't say that Ferraris are not reliable. Arth knows how I drive my car (which is a lot harder than most Porsche owners in the region) and it's proven 100% bulletproof so far. Something that couldn't be said for all the Porsches who joined us on our drives, which were driven substantially slower too.
I could not agree more. Though I bought a GT3 I have never felt it is in the same class as a Ferrari. Also, though in the past Ferrari's were notorious for shoddy quality based on my experience with recent models the quality is equal to any super sport car.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

At this level, there is really no "better" car - it just comes down to what you like. There is no perfect car.

I believe that the McLaren is the biggest engineering/technological achievement, in that it provides super-sports car thrills, but is comfortable enough to drive cross-county with your nagging wife (likely without her even nagging). It redefines the level of acceptable compromise.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Here's a newly delivered 650S spider in volcano red, which looks pretty spectacular IMO. You really do need to see these cars in the flesh. I'll be driving a 991 GT3 finally for the first time this weekend and will post some comparison opinions.

The thrust in the 12C and 650S is just ludicrous. It feels like you're riding a sport bike. There's no way in hell the GT3 matches that rush. And the 12C/650 doesn't feel all that clinical, as many reviewers have stated, to me. For example, I was never enamored with the drive in a GTR, but am considering a Mclaren purchase. They've used a couple of tricks to make the 650S "feel" more emotive...primarily with noise between shifts and through the exhaust. It works to some extent.

My assumption is that the GT3 will just be much sharper, and hopefully allow more driver interaction at/over the limit of tire adhesion. The Mac doesn't like having traction control off, which is a rather large gripe for me. Turbo lag and throttle response is the other issue. It's better on the 650, but I agree with the reviews, it's not razor sharp at all. Press pedal...deep breath...NASA rocket launch

Speciale is sort of a pointless discussion as the car seems to be unobtainable, at least here in the states (without 100-120k markup for used).
It will be interesting to read your impressions after you drive the 991 GT3 for the first time. With a 3.0 second 0-60 time, 7.1 seconds to 100, and 11.2@126mph in the 1/4, it doesn't give up much in straight line acceleration by the objective numbers. (per C&D 11/13)

To me, the fact that the GT3 is even in the same conversation as a legitimate rival to cars costing anywhere from $100K to more than double it's price, is pretty astounding. Also, while the 650S is a lovely car, it's a bit over the top for me personally. That may sound strange coming from someone driving a red GT3 with a wing but it's a matter of degree, and while I'm comfortable driving a $150K Porsche, I don't think I would be driving a $300K+ McLaren. Go figure...
Old 06-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

As a DD, I fully agree with you mike. The 12C in grey or black can pull it off. Volcano yellow 650S...not so much

It is astounding how comfortable the mclaren is though. Just tooling around town in auto mode and normal suspension with the top down...you might as well be driving a base Boxster - it's that relaxed and compliant.

0-60 time for the GT3 is extremely impressive. I can't wait to experience that. The 650S dishes out 0-100 in 5.7 seconds!! Which is a whole new sensation and another level entirely. It's all about the boost/torque in the Mac. It fully consumes the driving experience...I'm not sure that's exactly what I'm looking for though.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
As a DD, I fully agree with you mike. The 12C in grey or black can pull it off. Volcano yellow 650S...not so much

It is astounding how comfortable the mclaren is though. Just tooling around town in auto mode and normal suspension with the top down...you might as well be driving a base Boxster - it's that relaxed and compliant.

0-60 time for the GT3 is extremely impressive. I can't wait to experience that. The 650S dishes out 0-100 in 5.7 seconds!! Which is a whole new sensation and another level entirely. It's all about the boost/torque in the Mac. It fully consumes the driving experience...I'm not sure that's exactly what I'm looking for though.
0-100 in 5.7 is very impressive, Rob. Looking forward to how you think the GT3 compares on a subjective level.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about you guys. All this talk about these amazing cars makes me feel that summer is a long wait for us in the US that didn't get they're GT3 back. The GT3 is what I can afford and the fact that it's even being discussed with the others tells me that's it's the right car for me.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:37 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

i love hearing porsche fans compliment their cars 'value' vs ferrari. then when comparison of porsche to z06 comes up, the 'value' argument goes out the window.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ that's bc ppl equate hobby to value.
just find the car u like! buy it, drive it.
value play is civic. can boost them up and out triple shocks on them it's not that slow....
Old 06-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
i love hearing porsche fans compliment their cars 'value' vs ferrari. then when comparison of porsche to z06 comes up, the 'value' argument goes out the window.
I think most Porsche fans appreciate the value represented by the Corvette. It's a complicated equation, though, that involves lots of factors: performance, quality, styling, innovation, image....any number of objective and subjective things. In the end, either a car fits what you're looking for, or it doesn't. If you can get what you want and it also represents a relatively good value (whether it's a Corvette buyer comparing to a Porsche or a Porsche buyer comparing to a McLaren/Ferrari) all the better.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:05 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Everyone tries to justify their decisions ultimately, esp so on the internet.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:49 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Good point and I often thought about it. But as Mooty and Mike pointed out there are other factors to consider in purchasing a car.

To simplify I pose this question. If you won a contest and the prize was to select one of two cars which you could never sell which would you pick;

Speciale or GT3?

GT3 or C7Z06?

My answer would be Speciale over the GT3 and GT3 over the Z06. Why? Because IMO each of my selections have road presence (whatever that is) that the other doesn't have. Performance though important is not the only consideration.

Now if you ask me to pick solely on performance I suspect the Z06 might prevail over the other two.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:33 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

if its worth anything, i'll have some pics/comparison tomorrow of mp4-12c // 997.2GT3 // Speciale // 991 TurboS // Scuderia

mclaren finally arrives.. should be interesting to compare them all directly... it's a shame my 14 GT3 is still "forever and ever delayed"..

if anyone has any questions // curiosities.. let me know and i'll address them.

heres the lineup today... mclaren comes tomorrow.. gt3 hasnt found a new home yet nor has scud..
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Speciale vs 991 GT3 vs 650S