Sponsored by:

PTS 991 GT3 Colors

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rosino
I was quoted by the dealer (which accidentally belongs to Porsche GB) and they told me they have done it various time but indeed at the dealer paintshop, it cannot be factory ordered.
OK, that is my understanding too.

As for the warranty I was just thinking that if you have a third-party working on your brakes/calipers.. I could see Porsche trying to back out of warranty claims pretending something might have been damaged/affected when the calipers were removed. Just speculating but here in Europe for extended warranties especially they can be extremely annoying with anything which is non-standard / Official dealer fitted.
In the US, PCNA/PAG would cover it. We have 'consumer rights' in this country, especially in California.

On to another VERY important point.. do you happen to know which colour is this one.. I have heard it referred to as Audi RS blue.. but cannot find more details anywhere about it.

I wanted to get in touch with the owner as he used to be on pistonheads.. but he's apparently in a place where communication with the outside world are not allowed and orange is a fashionable colour to wear your uniform in.
Well, 'RS Blue' (which later became Audi's popular 'Nogaro Blue') was the signature color of the 'old' Audi RS2 Avant. It was claimed that it was inspired (or copied) from a Porsche blau color, which was not that surprising since the car was actually assembled at Porsche in Zuffenhausen's Rossle-Bau building! At the time, I thought the Porsche color in question (copied) was 'Maritime Blue' (last photo). But now I am not so sure. 'Maritime', in my opinion, is a much nicer color than Audi's 'Nogaro' and it's not a Metallic. Maybe others can chime in on this subject. By the way, 'Maritime Blue' is a currently approved Porsche PTS hue with color code # 38B!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS I think the email still works in the Eastern part of the Ukraine and the 'new' Russian territory of Crimea.

Attached Images    

Last edited by Z356; 06-30-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:39 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
D) The first 991 done in that PTS 'Signal Yellow' for the US might have just arrived at a dealership here in California. A Porsche dealer in the LA area has a 4S in a color that looks suspiciously like 'Signal Yellow' to me (last two photos thanks to Rennlister AdrianJara!). However, the General Manager is insisting in personal email exchanges I had with their dealership today that it's a completely different PTS color! I'll get to the bottom of this mystery pretty soon and report back.
Eduardo,

I was in LA today on business and had time to drop by McKenna Porsche in Norwalk, CA to have a look at the car in question. Parked next to it was a Signal Yellow '73 and the 991 was definitely not the same color. This 991 which the dealer professes is Signal Orange definitely has a significant orange tone, not a mustard tone like Speed Yellow, but definite orange. Inside the showroom the color appears similar to the orange taxi cabs that run around LA.

I must say the Signal Yellow '73 was striking. Regardless of the name, the color on the 991 was too orange for my taste.

YMMV.

Ryan
Old 07-01-2014, 02:18 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Signal Yellow' vs 'Signal Orange'

Thanks Ryan. I like the term you used - 'professes' - re: 'Signal Orange'. I am trying to get to the bottom of this mystery. As of the last published PTS list I have dated 1/23/2014, 'Signal Orange' was not an approved PTS color! It was not even under 'feasibility check started' or 'feasibility check needed'. So we are led to believe by this dealer that since that recent 1/23/2014 date, this historic & beautiful early 911 color -- 'Signal Orange' -- has been tested & approved by Porsche and ordered, built and delivered to a dealer in California. Tall order...but stranger things have happened at Porsche!

Of course, the dealership in question could lay all doubts to rest by producing the exact color code for the paint color, which is listed in the paperwork of the vehicle received from PCNA and also marked clearly on a visible part of the vehicle. In the 997 era, the 'colour code' was on a sticker applied to the inside part of the gas lid! It might still be the case with the 991 model.

But the dealership yesterday refused to supply that information. Instead, if offered two different numbers '98' & '789' which they claimed was the color code of their car when in fact I proved to them they were general codes that pertained to metallic or non-metallic paint and the fact the exterior paint was 'paint to sample'. Neither revealed the true color code of the PTS color in question. So the sheer ignorance of the staff handling these questions, which included their general manager Bob Hogan, was simply staggering!

My initial impression when I first looked at the photos posted in the 991 forum was that the color was PTS 'Signal Yellow', which is 'available' & has color code 114. I must remind you that factory-original 'Signal Yellow' paint has a bit of 'orange' in it! It is a gorgeous, rich color and I was lucky to have owned a factory original example in that color on a 1973 911T Sunroof Coupe. The so-called 'Signal Yellow' 1973 911 that McKenna parked right next to its PTS 991 would be telling, or revealing, ONLY IF the 'Signal Yellow' paint on that early 911 was original factory paint from 1972/1973! When I owned my '73 'Signal Yellow' coupe, many of my friends used to refer to it as 'your Orange 911'! You would be surprised how many repainted/restored 911's done in 'Signal Yellow' are not truly representative of the correct, factory-original hue! 'Signal Yellow' is notorious for being hard, almost impossible, to duplicate...I learned that lesson the hard way.

I have inquiries with PCNA re: the availability of 'Signal Orange'. I truly hope I am too pessimistic and indeed 'Signal Orange' is approved & on the exterior of that 991 at McKenna! I simply love 'Signal Orange'. It's one of the most beautiful colors ever used on the early long hood 911's. So we will see. I'll keep you all posted.

Attachments
Photos 1 & 2: McKenna's PTS 991 4S
Photo 3, 4 & 5: My old 1973 911T Sunroof Coupe in 'Signal Yellow'.
Photo 6 & 7: A friends early 911 repainted 'Signal Orange'

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS Ryan: Did you take any photos of both cars parked together at McKenna?

Originally Posted by reidry
Eduardo,

I was in LA today on business and had time to drop by McKenna Porsche in Norwalk, CA to have a look at the car in question. Parked next to it was a Signal Yellow '73 and the 991 was definitely not the same color. This 991 which the dealer professes is Signal Orange definitely has a significant orange tone, not a mustard tone like Speed Yellow, but definite orange. Inside the showroom the color appears similar to the orange taxi cabs that run around LA.

I must say the Signal Yellow '73 was striking. Regardless of the name, the color on the 991 was too orange for my taste.

YMMV.

Ryan
Attached Images        
Old 07-01-2014, 04:16 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Eduardo, while as a porsche newbie who hasn't yet drank too much of the koolaid I've been extremely annoyed by the absurdity of this whole PTS process... I have to say that some of these colors are really special and seem almost worth the hassle.

The signal yellow pictures you showed, especially that 997 gt3 are really gorgeous. I'm wondering though, about how with just basic red or mismatched yellow pccb brakes this would clash..? .the car would need black rims and either matching signal yellow calipers or black ones..... There I go again with my forbidden dreams.. Matching brakes?.. Who do I think I am, the CEO of Porsche? Sorry for being so presumptuous!
Old 07-01-2014, 05:13 AM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's ok.. the brake calipers can be easily repainted by your friendly dealer or your trusted body shop.. nothing too difficult nor expensive. Actually would probably be cheaper than if Porsche provided them through the "exclusive" program

And Yellow I wouldn't mind it with dark silver alloys as in the new GT3.. I don't like black wheels as you often lose the design details and nuances..
Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 AM
sebearstian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't thrilled by the standard racing yellow, but after seeing the signal yellow i am keen to explore this PTS route. Anyone has a PTS with a delivery date?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Just the bits.
Attached Images   
Old 07-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
But the dealership yesterday refused to supply that information...

So the sheer ignorance of the staff handling these questions, which included their general manager Bob Hogan, was simply staggering!
Having ordered three new Porsches from McKenna - and with aggravating issues during the ordering process with all three - I can say I am not at all surprised.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by huracan
I wasn't thrilled by the standard racing yellow, but after seeing the signal yellow i am keen to explore this PTS route. Anyone has a PTS with a delivery date?
I have a PTS GT3 currently with October build, December delivery dates. I'm in Canada.

Anyone thinking of doing PTS, get on it NOW. I have no idea of the PTS window this time around as mine was a 2014 that was moved to 2015.

Best of luck

Old 07-01-2014, 12:31 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Wouldn't the paint code be on the window sticker?
Old 07-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GJ
Wouldn't the paint code be on the window sticker?
No, it doesn't show on the Monroney window sticker on a Porsche. In the 997, it did showed up on the inside of the external gas lid. And the dealer has access to the Porsche ordering system which generates information that would immediately give him the color code and actual option number for a particular color of a PTS in his inventory. For example, 'Pastel Orange' has color code z17 and option code 24931.

Correction: Code 24931 relates to any 'Paint to Sample' vehicle but does not designate a specific color. See my follow up post #118. If you want infallibility, ask the top guy at the Vatican to start posting at Rennlist!
So McKenna could solve this riddle immediately...if it was disposed to do so.

Re: gas lid: Can someone confirm if that this 'colour' code is still found on the inside of the gas lids of the newer 991/981?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images    

Last edited by Z356; 07-01-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:34 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Eduardo, it is code 24931. Just look at the additional equipment detailed here:

http://mckenna.porschedealer.com/new...89838/info.php

Last edited by mcsmcs1; 07-01-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 24931 turned out to be....a dud!

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Eduardo, it is code 24931. Just look at the additional equipment detailed here:

http://mckenna.porschedealer.com/new...89838/info.php

This is straight from Porsche, so mystery solved. Pastel Orange .
Solved? Not really. Sorry, but I misspoke when I said code 24931 is specific for 'Pastel Orange'. It is apparently a code for all 'Paint to Sample' colors. I got that code from the dealer print out that salesman Brad Kennett graciously sent me on his beautiful 991 PTS 'Pastel Orange' (photo #1) at Porsche of Beachwood. However, note that his PCNA generated report does list the official color & code of the PTS color (in this case Z17 Pastel Orange). When I posted that info, I thought maybe I should double checked with Brad on this number first! Well, too late.

Let's take a look at the options on this PTS vehicle currently for sale at a US dealership. It also has code 24931. So its color should be the same as McKenna's PTS's, right?

Additional
Equipment 176 - Sport Exhaust System
24931 - Exterior Paint to Sample
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
423 - 20-inch Carrera S wheel
475 - Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
559 - Window trim in Aluminum (high-gloss)
581 - Luggage net in passenger footwell
603 - Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
636 - ParkAssist (front and rear)
640 - Sport Chrono Package
653 - Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass
658 - Power Steering Plus
789 - Exterior Paint to Sample Code
840 - SportDesign steering wheel
911 - Model Designation "911"
98 - Exterior Paint to Sample Non-Metallic
AG - Standard Interior in Black
P06 - Power Sport Seats (14-way)11
P3D - Premium Package i.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way)
XDH - Wheels Painted in Platinum Satin
XXG - Clear glass tail lights
ZAB - Ornamental Porsche Crest

Wrong! This car is PTS 'Mexico Blue' (photo #2) and you can find it here:

http://porscheoffarmingtonhills.com/...63591/info.php

Bottom line, every darn 'Paint to Sample' 991 apparently has this code in the build sheet and has nothing to do with the color code of the PTS in question!

By the way, Brad's Pastel Orange (photo #3) at Beachwood is simply gorgeous too! Here are the particulars...including 24931!

Additional
Equipment 030 - PASM Sport Suspension
176 - Sport Exhaust System
24891 - Seat stitching in deviating thread (front and rear)
26751 - Armrest stitching in deviating thread
559 - Window trim in Aluminum (high-gloss)
583 - Smoking package
603 - Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
653 - Sunroof in glass
658 - Power Steering Plus
789 - Exterior Paint to Sample Code
98 - Exterior Paint to Sample, Non-Metallic
AG - Standard Interior in Black
P06 - Power Sport Seats (14-way)
P3E - Premium Package Plus (for use with Power Sport Seats)
P3H - BOSE® Audio Package
XDH - Wheels painted Platinum satin

And the one they have at McKenna (photo #4) is equally marvelous! And of course it also sports option 24931! It is just that I don't believe that color is 'Signal Orange'. I still think it's 'Signal Yellow' with color code 114 somewhere labeled on that beautiful body!

Additional
Equipment 030 - PASM Sport Suspension
176 - Sport Exhaust System
425 - Rear windshield wiper
427 - 20-inch Carrera Classic wheels
446 - Wheel Center Caps with Full-Color Porsche Crest
583 - Smoking package
602 - Full LED headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS +)
653 - Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass
789 - Code for exterior color to sample
98 - Exterior Paint to Sample Non-Metallic
AZ - Leather interior in Black
CAH - Front spoiler painted
CNG - Rear fascia painted
CPK - Vehicle key painted
EEJ - Carbon Interior Package (i.c.w. Leather Interior & PDK)
P06 - Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
P3D - Premium Package (for use with Power Sport Seats)
P3H - BOSE® Audio Package
XHB - Center console trim in leather
XRP - Wheel spacers, 5 mm
XSC - Porsche Crest on headrests

So forget about '24931'... it didn't really give us the clue we are looking for! What is going to solve our mystery is something like the last two photos that I have attached...or the PCNA official build sheet which is in the hands of this dealership in LA! The saga continues...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images       
Old 07-02-2014, 01:43 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Let's have an LA based Rennlister head over there, pop the hood and read the paint code off the sticker. Or can't any dealer get the PCNA sheet with the paint code and description online?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:00 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Let's have an LA based Rennlister head over there, pop the hood and read the paint code off the sticker. Or can't any dealer get the PCNA sheet with the paint code and description online?
On his next visit to Carmel, I'll buy a beer or glass of wine to the first person that goes there & photographs that paint code on the gas lid of this PTS vehicle at McKenna! 'Mike in CA' has already collected the beer he won from me last year on another bet, so he can attest that I am good for it!

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Having ordered three new Porsches from McKenna - and with aggravating issues during the ordering process with all three - I can say I am not at all surprised.
I hear you!

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Eduardo, while as a porsche newbie who hasn't yet drank too much of the koolaid I've been extremely annoyed by the absurdity of this whole PTS process... I have to say that some of these colors are really special and seem almost worth the hassle.
The PTS process and the entire 'Porsche Exclusive' program could be marketed much better in the US. If you read my thread on 'Custom Ordering a 991', you'll see where I hit a Teutonic wall fairly early on in the process...and ended up with an Audi R8 instead! And 'Alan Smithee' above ended up with a Lamborghini, although probably for different reasons. Interestingly, we both previously had custom ordered our 'Boxster Spyders'. But yes, if you are able maneuver through the artificial hoops, the misinformation, the lack of coordination & the needless delays, PTS in beautiful & so-called 'popular' colors are indeed worth the hassle! And you have proof-positive confirmation of it in the recent resale history of the .2 gt3 RS and LE 4.0, where the PTS examples have outpaced significantly the already hefty appreciation of the 'standard color' vehicles!

The signal yellow pictures you showed, especially that 997 gt3 are really gorgeous. I'm wondering though, about how with just basic red or mismatched yellow pccb brakes this would clash..? .the car would need black rims and either matching signal yellow calipers or black ones...
As Rosino suggests, paint your calipers any color you want after delivery!

There I go again with my forbidden dreams.. Matching brakes?.. Who do I think I am, the CEO of Porsche? Sorry for being so presumptuous!
Well, I have to believe that the PCCB's on this gt3 were painted after series production and not during the assembly process at Werk II. In effect, since this individual is 'influential' at PAG, I believe someone at the factory did to this gt3 what you & I can also do: get calipers painted any color we want after delivery! The choice of wheels, calipers and other tidbits in that particular hue are really not surprising for this fellow! After all, he was born in East Germany at Karl-Marx-Stadt in 1953 and is a bone-fide red diaper baby! So 'Guards Red' is right up his alley!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: PTS 991 GT3 Colors