Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS 991 GT3 Colors

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 05:03 AM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really shouldn't like Gold wheels but find these STUNNING on a dark car.. not sure would work with a lighter colour such as Mexico though..

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
As for the stitching.. I enquired many many times and there's NO WAY to get other than platinum or red.. which with yellow PCCB is starting to clash..

I am tempted by the following combination for my order :

- Voodoo blue with platinum stitch + Yellow PCCB
- Voodoo blue with Red stitch + painted RED PCCB
- Voodoo blue with platinum stitch + painted platinum PCCB with blue lettering

A bit like this :

Or I go Signal Yellow with yellow PCCB and red stitching inside for contrast

Old 06-29-2014, 08:10 AM
G55amg
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rosino
I really shouldn't like Gold wheels but find these STUNNING on a dark car.. not sure would work with a lighter colour such as Mexico though..

As for the stitching.. I enquired many many times and there's NO WAY to get other than platinum or red.. which with yellow PCCB is starting to clash..

A bit like this :

Or I go Signal Yellow with yellow PCCB and red stitching inside for contrast

Can you order the calipers painted a different color from Porsche?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:15 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

There are quite a few items where personal customization after the purchase makes more sense. You can very easily have calipers painted after-market for much much cheaper than what Porsche would charge, you can have wheels painted any damn color. Mirror mounts painted, wing tips painted.. All this "exclusive" BS they charge for.. Craziness, just bring the car home and start making it your own.. That's the real "exclusive" in my mind
Old 06-29-2014, 10:22 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You heard correctly, Alex. It was specially produced for someone very high up at Porsche.
Shouldnt be hard to replicate right?..
Old 06-29-2014, 10:38 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyrek
There were only a couple of shots.
Yes probably need to be "well connected " to get a plate such as GT3991
Old 06-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Ouch!! - Gold rims do not belong. Sure, may look good for a week or two but eventually it will rub you the wrong way

That just might be true....still for fun would love to see Photoshop.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Current order ....red exterior with 18 way red stitching ceramics black rims no wart red gauges fire extinguisher passenger net smoke upgrade stereo.

To
Mexico blue black rims white stitching white gauges and all remains the same....decisions decisions....lol
Old 06-29-2014, 11:28 AM
CBG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Yes probably need to be "well connected " to get a plate such as GT3991
This isn't a big issue in Germany (here: BB for Boeblingen) - we don't have a license plate market like in the UK or the US over here.

I have GT 991 on my plate, didn't cost me anything, just had to reserve it early enough.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Shouldnt be hard to replicate right?..
Mostly. PM sent.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:04 PM
rosino
Advanced

Originally Posted by CAlexio
There are quite a few items where personal customization after the purchase makes more sense. You can very easily have calipers painted after-market for much much cheaper than what Porsche would charge, you can have wheels painted any damn color. Mirror mounts painted, wing tips painted.. All this "exclusive" BS they charge for.. Craziness, just bring the car home and start making it your own.. That's the real "exclusive" in my mind
I have to agree with this.. the only slight issue being that Porsche might use the excuse of the repainted calipers to invalidate warranty on the PCCB.. and you would not want that, some '14 GT3s actually already had them all replaced under warranty. I was quoted around $1k for calipers repainted in any Porsche colour I want btw.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default re: Paint Choices on Calipers from Porsche Factory

[/IMG]
Re: Painted PCCB's calipers in any other color but 'Speed Yellow'. Not possible on this particular model from Porsche AG.

Originally Posted by G55amg
Can you order the calipers painted a different color from Porsche?
Only on the extremely expensive 918 Spyder and with one other choice of color solely (Silver). Here is how I understand it and which I have recently posted also in the 991 forum:

"The official line is that PAG wants certain colors associated permanently with a particular variation of their brakes so that they are instantly recognizable by 'all' worldwide. So 'Speed Yellow' for the PCCB's, 'Guards Red' for the 'S', 'Black' for the non-S (base), 'Acid Green' for the Hybrids, and 'Silver' for....don't ask, because even they don't know why they are painting some calipers 'Silver' (e.g. some Panameras & Macans). For their super VIP 918 clients, they have allowed them to option their calipers in 'Silver' if a customer doesn't want them in the standard 'Acid Green'. That is a costly option at nearly $3K! But for anyone else ordering a less expensive model from factory, I don't think they are giving you even that choice!

In Zuffenhausen last year, the 'Porsche Exclusive' representatives spent time explaining to me why PAG normally refuses the many requests they get each year from customers asking for their brake calipers in a deviated color. The answer the give, they said, is always 'Nein'.

Interestingly, some other auto marques that allow optional deviating colors on their brakes caliper have recently had a surge in requests for 'Speed Yellow'. This apparently in order to broadcast to the world that they paid extra for carbon fiber rotors and have everybody easily recognize them! So Porsche's color branding strategy is apparently subconsciously 'working' on the greater auto enthusiast world even beyond their own models!"

.. the only slight issue being that Porsche might use the excuse of the repainted calipers to invalidate warranty on the PCCB.. and you would not want that, some '14 GT3s actually already had them all replaced under warranty.
I don't think Porsche would/could use the color you choose to paint your calipers after delivery to denied a legitimate warranty claim on the PCCB's.

I was quoted around $1k for calipers repainted in any Porsche colour I want btw.
You were quoted in the aftermarket, not by Porsche AG, correct?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS I wish to extend to my Mexican friends my condolences for their loss to Holland 2-1 this morning!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:06 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Signal Yellow looks so good IMHO. Is it allowed on the 991 GT3?
Old 06-30-2014, 12:15 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Re: Paint to Sample 'Signal Yellow'

Originally Posted by 991GT3
That Signal Yellow looks so good IMHO. Is it allowed on the 991 GT3?
A) I don't see why not. The exterior components/surface materials of the 991 gt3 are similar those of the standard 991/981 bodies for which that color has already been tested & approved!

B) Interestingly, when the particular .2 997 gt3 RS (photos 1 & 2) was done in PTS 'Signal Yellow' at the request of a customer in the UK, others -including several customers here in the US - tried to order it too! Yet PAG denied all further requests for 'Signal Yellow' in the .2 997 and everyone assumed (although never confirmed) it must related to fade/coverage issues which had shown up with the UK gt3 RS and which might be generating expensive warranty 'repairs' from PAG. Then suddenly less than one year ago, 'Signal Yellow' appeared again on the list of approved PTS colors for the 991/981! Thank the Lord!

C) As an aside, 'Signal Yellow' is one of the hardest colors to match in the palette of automotive paints. I had an original factory paint 1973 911T sunroof coupe in this color (Photos 3 & 4) and I wanted three small paint repairs done early in its life to be perfectly matched with modern paints once I bought it. After some considerable expense, I gave up & sold the car in Europe when I was dissatisfied with the results of the 'match'! Nevertheless, 'Signal Yellow' remains one of my favorite colors on a Porsche and I would strongly recommend it to one & all. It looks particularly good on a 911. But it has been also done as a PTS on a Carrera GT owned by Rennlister Mike V., who has the only one built this color (photo 5, although in the photo looks more 'orange' than in real life!). And it's stunning on that model too!

D) The first 991 done in that PTS 'Signal Yellow' for the US might have just arrived at a dealership here in California. A Porsche dealer in the LA area has a 4S in a color that looks suspiciously like 'Signal Yellow' to me (last two photos thanks to Rennlister AdrianJara!). However, the General Manager is insisting in personal email exchanges I had with their dealership today that it's a completely different PTS color! I'll get to the bottom of this mystery pretty soon and report back.

E) At the very end of this post, you will find an old (dated Jan 23,2014) PTS list as an attachment. In it you will see 'Signal Yellow' on the approved column. I have been promised by both Melissa Witek and Matthew Henry, both Personal Design Consultants with PCNA's 'Porsche Exclusive' and whom I ran into at the 918 event at Sonoma Raceway on Wednesday, that they would send me the latest approved PTS list this coming week! I'll post that as soon as I get it.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images        
Attached Images
Old 06-30-2014, 12:40 AM
br2002
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJones
fashion grey
Lovin' it.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:02 AM
rosino
Advanced

Originally Posted by Z356
I don't think Porsche would/could use the color you choose to paint your calipers after delivery to denied a legitimate warranty claim on the PCCB's.

You were quoted in the aftermarket, not by Porsche AG, correct?
I was quoted by the dealer (which accidentally belongs to Porsche GB) and they told me they have done it various time but indeed at the dealer paintshop, it cannot be factory ordered.

As for the warranty I was just thinking that if you have a third-party working on your brakes/calipers.. I could see Porsche trying to back out of warranty claims pretending something might have been damaged/affected when the calipers were removed. Just speculating but here in Europe for extended warranties especially they can be extremely annoying with anything which is non-standard / Official dealer fitted.

On to another VERY important point.. do you happen to know which colour is this one.. I have heard it referred to as Audi RS blue.. but cannot find more details anywhere about it.

I wanted to get in touch with the owner as he used to be on pistonheads.. but he's apparently in a place where communication with the outside world are not allowed and orange is a fashionable colour to wear your uniform in.

Quick Reply: PTS 991 GT3 Colors