Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macan - Manufacturing Defect / Error?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:18 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Macan - Manufacturing Defect / Error?!?!

Okay...

I'll be blatantly selfish here and just say that I hope that this is NO way diverts resources from solving our GT3 issues...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/porsche-...ke-defect.html
Old 05-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too funny and too sad at the same time. So was this Porsche engineering and the same team that worked on the GT3 or was it VW engineering team and maybe the same team that worked on the GT3?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Related to this thread or not,it's all part of the auto industry today's direction : build cars as quick consumables-100K miles life cycle,2 yrs facelift,huge lease incentives(2-3 yrs use then dump).
Parts are not made as durable anymore,lots being replaced by low quality plastic,complicated electronics and problematic to service.
Manufacturers are being driven by more and more restrictive regulations and pressured by dealers around the World to make them extremely difficult to service outside of their network and requiring very expensive specialized tools.(many examples come to mind : the so called " non-serviceable " transmission-sealed units, " non-serviceable " components part of subsystems,hundreds of computers and control units etc)
Old 05-28-2014, 04:26 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Related to this thread or not,it's all part of the auto industry today's direction : build cars as quick consumables-100K miles life cycle,2 yrs facelift,huge lease incentives(2-3 yrs use then dump). Parts are not made as durable anymore,lots being replaced by low quality plastic,complicated electronics and problematic to service. Manufacturers are being driven by more and more restrictive regulations and pressured by dealers around the World to make them extremely difficult to service outside of their network and requiring very expensive specialized tools.(many examples come to mind : the so called " non-serviceable " transmission-sealed units, " non-serviceable " components part of subsystems,hundreds of computers and control units etc)
The sad truth.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I'm not fund of the Macan I acquired one for my wife. I was supposed to get my GT3 before her. It drives nice and but I didn't test it yet. My wife has been driving it daily to work. That's strike two Porsche!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:24 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also ordered a Macan for my wife. I drove it and was impressed with it for an SUV. It drove well and she loved it.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:16 AM
MAQ
Track Day

I bought a Macan turbo for the wife. She loves it. I'm thoroughly impressed with the handling. After 1 day of ownership, I had the GPS antenna replaced because it was defective. After reading this thread about the brake booster, and being someone who's had a deposit on a GT3 for 8 months, I'm just going to say I'm disappointed in Porsche.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:48 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont get all the earlier adopters.
I guess they like going to the dealer for all those recalls.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:56 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

^^I'm not always an early adopter but sometimes you just get tired of waiting for something you really want just so you can be more "safe". Most of the time it has worked out for me. Anyway, in about another month, all this BS will be forgotten....
Old 05-29-2014, 01:04 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Related to this thread or not,it's all part of the auto industry today's direction : build cars as quick consumables-100K miles life cycle,2 yrs facelift,huge lease incentives(2-3 yrs use then dump).
Parts are not made as durable anymore,lots being replaced by low quality plastic,complicated electronics and problematic to service.
Manufacturers are being driven by more and more restrictive regulations and pressured by dealers around the World to make them extremely difficult to service outside of their network and requiring very expensive specialized tools.(many examples come to mind : the so called " non-serviceable " transmission-sealed units, " non-serviceable " components part of subsystems,hundreds of computers and control units etc)
Exactly.

If Porsche, or McLaren, or (insert your favorite car manfr. here) were smart and wanted to begin building a reputation for their brand that is better and different from their competition they would begin to overengineer their cars in every respect. I understand it is comparing apples to oranges, but I get tired of my smug neighbors telling me about their Honda & Lexus cars with over 300K+ miles on them with nearly zero problems.

Why can't the 'exotics' offer nearly the same kind of reliabilty and have a factory warranty for track use? I mean, we are paying 3 times as much for a 911 Turbo S than for a loaded Lexus. And yes, apples to oranges in the comparative usage as well...

Seems GM is even catching on a little, with the likes of the Z28.

Example: A friend of mine has a woodshop with woodworking equipment from the 1890's. Indestructable machinery. Simple & indestructable, but was the bleeding edge of tech in their day. No piece of modern machinery comes close to their lifecycle. Buy a good bandsaw today, you may get 2 years or 20 years out of it. Its a crapshoot. Buy an overengineered antique bandsaw build in 1865, chances are it can still be used today. It's not like car makers need to bring back "planned obsolecense" as most of us would upgrade to the newest & latest anyway - given that the reliability was there.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:16 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

I have a feeling that Porsche will have a few more of these quality control issues before they realize that they are on way thinner ice with a good portion of their customers than they may have thought. Now looks like they are burning the wick from both ends!
Old 05-29-2014, 02:59 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its will only get worse.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:31 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

it will get worse as brands develop niches for niches

BMW seems to have about 200 versions of their different models now...because they say that's what consumers want ...but that also means 200 development teams in the engineering buildings vs , say, 20-30 teams just a couple decades ago...not a good thing

Porsche now has 50 engr teams vs prob a dozen at most 20 yrs ago... with the expected hiccups ( in this case missed unclear assembly line instruction on brake booster installation leading to possible damaged part ) will be becoming more and more like a Toyota or a General Motors as the years go by , as buck passing, meeting quarterly metrics , personal politics / shuffling up the VW group or car industry will be needed to survive in that climate, not long term customer satisfaction , as fewer and fewer will even be car enthusiasts ...just corporate nomads of a borderless global biz..you know, clear out desk at Porsche Friday, start work Monday at Kia ,next year move to Chrysler .

GT3s , Sedonas, Town and Countrys ....all just " units " to move .

Last edited by MKW; 05-29-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Fadi1
Pro

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015-porsche-macan-faulty-brakes-not-on-us-cars.html
He he I guess this time we're not affected

Quick Reply: Macan - Manufacturing Defect / Error?!?!