Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am OUT...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 04:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I just ran one of my Twin-Turbo Lamborghinis this past weekend and went 220.9 in the standing 1/2, 178.0 in the 1/4 in a street car!
Holy **** that video is nutty dangerous..

The Cayman is very nice and you can build it "your way". The best alternative to an old 911 that someone else poured money into

Its much better to crash a $50K racecar than a $200K cars n coffee car ;-) even if I don't want to race, I like the street legal safety of a racecar for DE. Served me well. Helps to drive into town cooling down the car to get fuel out of a normal pump.
Street legal, titled and insured, PCA, HSR, PBOC race legal :
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

McLaren's GT3 conquest sales continue. When the MP4 hit the market in 2012, I constantly saw used 997.2 GT3s on the Newport Beach McLaren dealer lot.

I think it's a great alternative for those frustrated with the 991 GT3 situation and with the willingness to spend just a little more for a used car.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Smart move, SW. I'm really hoping the depreciation curve on the 650S is like the 12C in a few years as I could really see that as a viable upgrade to my current ride for street/track. Besides that, nothing else out there really gets me too excited currently.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:01 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetking
Thanks Peter. You had a big influence on me making some new choices in where I'm going. For years I have been tracking/ De'ng my "street/ track" cars. I bought a F430 Challenge car and ran a few Challenge races until they wouldn't let me run anymore. Tracking a Challenge car was no fun as if I was the fastest it was because I was in a "race" car. I get it. Then I tracked my GT3RS and Scud. After a weekend was over, I found myself thinking, that if I crashed my street car, that would be a $180k mistake. What am I actually doing here, I want to race a safe car that I would not worry about getting it chipped up ect. and I want to race. That's a big reason for the move to a Cayman S. Cost effective and I have 2 other buddy's that are going in with me to do the same. I love road racing but have also done drag racing, 1 mile stuff and now I'm doing some standing 1/2 mile racing. I just ran one of my Twin-Turbo Lamborghinis this past weekend and went 220.9 in the standing 1/2, 178.0 in the 1/4 in a street car!
This statement kind of scares me. I know it has been discussed in this forum in the past, but my memory is getting worse. Honest question: Isn't there a type of 'track insurance' available for those who want to track their 'street cars' from time to time? Or is it too expensive?

Thanks in advance and congrats on the McLaren! Keep us updated if it turns out to be as bulletproof as some are saying.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
This statement kind of scares me. I know it has been discussed in this forum in the past, but my memory is getting worse. Honest question: Isn't there a type of 'track insurance' available for those who want to track their 'street cars' from time to time? Or is it too expensive?
Yes and yes.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetking
Well guys, decided today that I am selling my car back to Porsche. I spoke with Andrea this afternoon and initiated the paperwork. As everyone here, I have been trying to be positive and wait. I constantly walk around the car in the garage, move it to get other cars out and I am done. I bought a McLaren a few weeks ago and love it and today just pulled a trigger on another Underground TT LP560. I want to have cars that I can enjoy when I want and not be scared just to start it to move it. I hope to be back in another GT3 later. I am still on the list for a GT3RS so we will see.

Good luck to all of you that are in the same situation!

SW

BTW, I am looking for a 2007-2008 Cayman S 6spd. I want a nice low mileage car. Going to convert it to run H class in PCA..
I recently drove the Mclaren, was too considering it as a possible alternative to the gt3. I found the interior ergonomics terrible and I couldn't get my seat anywhere near low enough to be even closely in an optimal driving position. Way too high from the floor and felt disconnected from the car. I assume, the likely the seats be taken out and unbolted and lowered but I'm interested in your feedback.

I'm only 6.2 btw.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

TRAKCAR - Is that your current ride? What year and is that an RS? Pretty hot man
Old 05-26-2014, 04:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Jimmy, its a 1993 RSA street legal but also PCA race legal.
RSA is just a stripped C2S: http://www.rsamerica.net/

These are the mods to the car, I bought it like this:
History: 1993 - Birthed as a stock RSA it has been modified to a 3.6 Race Car
- 3rd Owner, 2nd Racer owner (1st owner did not race the car)
- Raced in HSR from 2006 to 2008 (HSR Enduro Champion 2007 and 2008)
- Raced miscellaneous PCA, HSR and PBOC 2009, 2010, 2011
- Transmission and suspension were refreshed at end of 2008 season
- Mainly PCA DE activity since 2009 due to limited time
- Setup primarily to meet the 964 Cup specifications with 3.6 engine

Engine: 2011 - Complete 3.6 Motor Build by Pat Williams Racing
- Balanced crank, ported cylinder head, stock 3.6 cylinders
- Elgin mild cams (titanium valve retainers Jerry Woods valve springs)
- Mahle Pistons (new Ring Set)
- Stock 3.6 injectors and intake plenum with Steve Wong chip
- Lightweight Motorsport flywheel with GT-1 Sachs clutch assembly
- Custom 6 into 1 header & B&B boxed header w/heat
- External oil pump with braided lines
- Carrera Cup oil suction lines (for better oil access and wheel clearance)
- Produces 265 HP to rear wheels (Dyno testing available)

Drivetrain: 2009 - Transmission Build by *** Motorsports, Inc
- G50/05 gearbox spec to Carrera Cup
- RSR longer 1st & 2nd gear with Sachs GT clutch disc
- G50/10 ring and pinion (slightly lower)
- Variable Turbo 20/100 disc type LSD
- Steel synchonizers and RSR engine/transmission mounts

Chassis: 2010 - Complete Chassis Setup by CPR Motorsports, Inc
- Bilstein RSR spec struts 700/900 lb springs
- Ground Control front camber plates w/strut brace and solid mounts
- ERP rear spring plates, monoballs (aurora bearing) and solid mounts
- RS adjustable sway bars with solid bushings
- Front 8x18 w/235/640, Rear 10x18 265/640 Dunlop slicks (2 sets)
- Aligned and corner balanced (weight 2780 w/o driver)

Braking System: 2009 Braking System by Wrightwood Racing, Inc
- 993 Turbo front brake calipers 964 RS rear calipers
- Wrightwood racing 2-piece AP 332mm front rotors (2 sets)
- Porsche Motorsport Carrera Cup cross-drilled rear rotors
- Larger master cylinder (for very firm pedal feel)
- SST braided brake lines and improved ducting/cooling
- Pagid RS-14 (black) front and RS-4 (orange) rear pads

Bodywork, Interior Trim and Electrical System
- Front GT Racing turbo splitter with ARP carbon fiber diffuser (includes spare)
- Rear carbon fiber 3.8 RSR deck-lid and wing/spoiler
- Fuel Safe 17 gal SST fuel cell with new baffle (2013)
- Lightweight, pollycarbonate windshield
- Safe Racer full cage (bolt-in)
- Steering wheel mounted radio controls
- Airbags deleted, radio deleted, A/C deleted
- Lap timer, transponder and 2-way radios installed
- Master electrical switch installed per SCCA regulation
- Fire suppression for fuel cell, driver and engine compartment
- Window net, pedal kit, 6-point cam-lock harnesses installed 2009

One of the best prepared RS America race cars in the country. Well over $100K invested from the past 3 owners.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
I recently drove the Mclaren, was too considering it as a possible alternative to the gt3. I found the interior ergonomics terrible and I couldn't get my seat anywhere near low enough to be even closely in an optimal driving position. Way too high from the floor and felt disconnected from the car. I assume, the likely the seats be taken out and unbolted and lowered but I'm interested in your feedback.

I'm only 6.2 btw.
I don't think its so much that the seats are high, but that the roofline is really low. It's all relative and I think it comes with the territory as you venture into exotic cars. The view of the road is amazing - not so much the traffic lights above.

That said, I think the interior is beautifully engineered and amazingly ergonomic. But I completely agree that a 911 is more accommodating for people well over 6' tall.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:04 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

One of the best prepared RS America race cars in the country. Well over $100K invested from the past 3 owners.

Nice!
Old 05-27-2014, 06:52 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 530 Likes on 284 Posts

Not to go too far off topic, but...
TRAKCAR: that is such a great car, but it's a GT4 class car in PCA racing, not stock (I think this was discussed in the Racing and DE forum). Unfortunately that means you race against guys that have almost that much invested in just their engine builds...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
TRAKCAR: that is such a great car, but it's a GT4 class car in PCA racing, not stock (I think this was discussed in the Racing and DE forum). Unfortunately that means you race against guys that have almost that much invested in just their engine builds...
That particular car did fairly well at the Road Atlanta club race this year... at least until the tire incident.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:13 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naroescape
I know now, someone said stock class, I said sure.
The car did not seem faster than others though power wise or cornering due to the old tires. Braking is clearly better with ABS than the other relics.

I love driving it!
Class does not matter to me, run group does not matter as long as I can stay out of the way of those who take it seriously.. Its as relevant as winning a Chump car race to me. Some take that seriously as well.
If I would be racing and if I cared where I placed it would matter

I had no idea what to do when they parked me behind the pace car; looking in the mirror and seeing 60 cars that I thought were mostly faster was pretty worrysome. I started in the back last summer when I got my race license. Much more fun, but DE is more funner for per dollar, so that's what I am doing this summer in California. Leaving Thursday for Chuckwalla and ThunderHill, last week Spring Mountain, the week before Button willow.

Originally Posted by Guest89
That particular car did fairly well at the Road Atlanta club race this year... at least until the tire incident.
This devaluation tire incident; FF to halfway video.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:22 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 530 Likes on 284 Posts

Peter
did not mean to be critical or start an argument at all. Trust me, PCA classifications can be tricky.
Unfortunately, to be competitive in GT classes, you have to have unlimited funds to develop the car WAY beyond ever being street legal. Our car started life as a fun DE car, then when I jumped into racing, found I was up with the big $$ boys! Then, of course, we put in a new (bigger) engine which put us up even higher with the REALLY big $$$$$$$ boys (and girls). I have no chance of hanging with them, just want to go out and have fun!

The only problem with running in the wrong class is that people that ARE in that class correctly will lose Championship points if you beat them. A lot of racers take that very seriously, so while I understand it may not matter to you...keep in mind it matters to others.

And many days I completely agree about the comment "DE is more funner for per dollar"

RE video...ouch!! Blown tire? amazing the guy you just passed didn't hit you too...
Old 05-27-2014, 10:28 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I re read and edited already, little foggy this morning and it did not come out right!
My bad.

Yes, we discussed that in another thread, and we there also agreed I'm too lazy to figure it out.
Glad someone figured it out for me, so if I end up in a PCA race, GT4 it is.

Quick Reply: I am OUT...