Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am OUT...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Streetking congratulation. The car is stunning. Cars make us happy after all. I hate to see a car enthusiast walk away from a Porsche. But it's whatever makes you happy
Old 05-21-2014, 09:14 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Appears you made the right move.
Nothing worse then waiting and the outcome of all this is not what you want.
I like what you bought however

In regards to the Cayman, is there a PCA class for 2009-2012 Caymans that have DFI motors?

The 2006-2008 caymans just make me nervous.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Skuplist here on RL has a one owner cayman S really excellent condition he is a member and is considering selling you should pm him. His car is immaculate. PM him
Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great choice. I just started looking at 12c's last week. Please share your thoughts on the car. What year is it? Reading on Mclearen life, it's not an idea track car without brake upgrades. Will you track it?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:58 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey SW, surprised you passed given your enthusiasm for the car, but not surprised b/c this whole car thing is emotional.

Your comment about answering questions about whether 'it's a 14 or 15' stuck out. I think that 4 or 5 years from now nobody will care provided that all 991 GT3s powerplants prove durable. But. . . for a new car owner, when asked by folks at the track or at any car gathering, it will grow tiresome, as if you have a apologize for pimping a 14. [sarcasm]I mean, after all, we know that 14's are crap even with the new motor.[/sarcasm]

BTW, your contact at the Chebbie dealer didn't turn up a Z28 allocation for me but one up north of Dallas let me have a 15 slot at MSRP.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

No doubt the 12C can be had for a terrific price now that the 650 is out. Dealers are trying to move them as fast as they can. I understand your frustration because I have been there several times and wanted to pulled the plug. I was considering the 12C. But from a depreciation standpoint and price/performance the 12C will have difficulty staying with the 991GT3 and why I stuck with the GT3.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

For me, it does not matter if it is a 14 or 15. It is a mental thing that one either can accept or can not. Very similar to thinking you married a virgin and then finding out at her High school reunion that maybe she slept with a couple guys. If she never said she was one, but mentally you convinced yourself otherwise; would this bother you for the next 5 years.
To me it is whether you can wait long enough for the car and/or if you feel the lack of communication from Porsche has tainted your desire.
In the end, "to each his own". But, if I had a stable of beautiful cars like Streetking - I would pass, as well.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:04 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anyone know if there will actually be any changes for the 2015? If there are no changes at all (other than what's being installed on the recall cars), then I doubt the resale value will be much lower. I also think the larger majority of potential buyers of used GT3s will have no idea this every happened. Just from observation, I don't find most people do much research before buying cars.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Does anyone know if there will actually be any changes for the 2015? If there are no changes at all (other than what's being installed on the recall cars), then I doubt the resale value will be much lower. I also think the larger majority of potential buyers of used GT3s will have no idea this every happened. Just from observation, I don't find most people do much research before buying cars.
I agree with your conclusions. The only change I'm aware of is that the Sport Chrono option will have some kind of built in track timer app for an additional $1450. I suspect at some point in the 2015 run that sport buckets will also become available. With my comp money I plan to pick up a set of those after they are introduced. Then I can lie and say I have a '15 and avoid the entire conversation. (kidding)
Old 05-21-2014, 01:29 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I agree with your conclusions. The only change I'm aware of is that the Sport Chrono option will have some kind of built in track timer app for an additional $1450. I suspect at some point in the 2015 run that sport buckets will also become available. With my comp money I plan to pick up a set of those after they are introduced. Then I can lie and say I have a '15 and avoid the entire conversation. (kidding)
+1.

There are some exterior color changes, trim pieces that can be optionally painted, etc. And the Sport Chrono lap timer. Other than that, not really anything. Frankly, the production numbers are going to be so low (and much lower than initially planned, and MUCH lower than the crazy numbers some naysayers had initially predicted...) that I don't think it'll really matter much so long as the car performs as expected and demand continues to outstrip supply as expected.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:43 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never seen a 12C in white. It's fabulous looking.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:55 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I am curious how many they will make. My dealer (who seemed to know what he was talking about) said he was told they will build as many GT3s as there are people in line to buy them. What color changes? I haven't seen any change to the US configurator?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:01 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I am curious how many they will make. My dealer (who seemed to know what he was talking about) said he was told they will build as many GT3s as there are people in line to buy them. What color changes? I haven't seen any change to the US configurator?
Assume that there will be around 1,500 for the U.S. for 2014 and 2015 combined.

There's a Carrera White Metallic and a change to the metallic black that was offered. Been on there for a few weeks already.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Nice choice Streetking! Love it.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Streetking
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
It's a gorgeous car for sure and like the GT3, is pretty in white. I think I have gotten so attached to my GT3 that it saddens me when enthusiasts like you sell theirs back
It is a great car but, not sure if it's the car or how Porsche has handled this that makes me have a numb feeling about it..

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
The wheel gap is very bad stock. I was afraid to muck with the complex suspension on the 12C. Looks like you had no problems? What springs and performance is unaffected? Beautiful
We lowered it on the stock suspension and realigned it to factory specs, drives perfect. I did install front skid plates..
Originally Posted by silverrules
Congrats, I love what you did. The white looks so nice on 12C. Hope PAG is reading. They lost their best customers. Big corp mentality, give them $2K a month and a1yr warranty. They clearly dont know their client base for GT3. They are in another planet
Originally Posted by lumber
12c is awesome. I'm right there with you.
Thanks for wasting 6 months of my life PAG...
+1
Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Appears you made the right move.
Nothing worse then waiting and the outcome of all this is not what you want.
I like what you bought however

In regards to the Cayman, is there a PCA class for 2009-2012 Caymans that have DFI motors?

The 2006-2008 caymans just make me nervous.
Not sure, I am just learning about the Caymans.

Originally Posted by Cyrek
Skuplist here on RL has a one owner cayman S really excellent condition he is a member and is considering selling you should pm him. His car is immaculate. PM him
Thank you, I will.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Nice choice Streetking! Love it.
Thanks Peter. You had a big influence on me making some new choices in where I'm going. For years I have been tracking/ De'ng my "street/ track" cars. I bought a F430 Challenge car and ran a few Challenge races until they wouldn't let me run anymore. Tracking a Challenge car was no fun as if I was the fastest it was because I was in a "race" car. I get it. Then I tracked my GT3RS and Scud. After a weekend was over, I found myself thinking, that if I crashed my street car, that would be a $180k mistake. What am I actually doing here, I want to race a safe car that I would not worry about getting it chipped up ect. and I want to race. That's a big reason for the move to a Cayman S. Cost effective and I have 2 other buddy's that are going in with me to do the same. I love road racing but have also done drag racing, 1 mile stuff and now I'm doing some standing 1/2 mile racing. I just ran one of my Twin-Turbo Lamborghinis this past weekend and went 220.9 in the standing 1/2, 178.0 in the 1/4 in a street car!

Click on this link....
http://www.fototime.com/58119A9C6090DFC/convx264.mp4
Attached Images   

Last edited by Streetking; 05-21-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: I am OUT...