Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro "better" than GT3...

Old 05-24-2014, 12:13 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Point is that magazine and lap time comparisons lose some validity when tires aren't the same, so the 'results' need to be viewed in that context. Not saying or expecting that magazines will actually buy equal tires to make the comparisons.
No they don't. They show how the car will perform as delivered from the factory. Which is quite relevant.

Original equipment is original equipment. Why does a GT3 have slower tires than a Camaro to begin with?

There is no way to equalize tires. Even at the track, various brands, setups compounds and life/heat cycle differences result in grip discrepancies most of the time.

We are not talking like comparing slicks to all seasons here, or even R-comps to All seasons. We are talking both R-Rated performance compound tires.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:26 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,700 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
They show how the car will perform as delivered from the factory. Which is quite relevant.
I only care how the car will perform when I put my chosen tires on it.

To be clear, I'm not here to the dis the Z/28. I like it, and would be open to buying one. Same for the 991 GT3.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:31 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Manifold
I only care how the car will perform when I put my chosen tires on it.

To be clear, I'm not here to the dis the Z/28. I like it, and would be open to buying one. Same for the 991 GT3.
Well then that would mean there have been very few or maybe none of the comparisons that have been valid for you.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,700 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Well then that would mean there have been very few or maybe none of the comparisons that have been valid for you.
I think of the comparisons as providing ballpark (only) indicators.

And with a car like the 991 GT3, there are the further issues of what tires will be available in that size, and what tires will void the warranty or be unsafe due to risk of something on the car breaking.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

Going to test fit a Camaro tomorrow AM.
I was already resigned to stock seats in the Corvette with a harness that does not require a hole in the seat for the Corvette (with vented seats) but the C7 does not fit me even without helmet.3

$80K is a lot of Chevy money, also unproven, for sure too heavy, but lately Chevy speaks my language. "Don't hit the wall and we will warranty the car"..

Plus I must be a Dutch redneck because I think it looks better than the 991 GT3..
Old 05-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
$80K is a lot of Chevy money, also unproven, for sure too heavy, but lately Chevy speaks my language. "Don't hit the wall and we will warranty the car"..

Plus I must be a Dutch redneck because I think it looks better than the 991 GT3..
Got to give anyone credit who is brave enough to buy a GM product these days, but still Peter, that last part is just crazy talk....
Old 05-25-2014, 07:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Normalcy I never claimed.

Picture your GT3 2" of a rear bumper coming out of T17 at Sebring VS a Z28 in the same position...
Old 05-25-2014, 08:30 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Trakcar,

I predict you are going to fall in love with my car and buy one for yourself.

I can tell the future.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

I looked at one Saturday.
Not the car for me, but it is a menacing looking machine! And the brakes & tires are nice!!

I did find a dealer with a couple 2015 allocations at MSRP if interested. Dealers here are asking over. I tried not to laugh in their face. . .
Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by LateBrake911
i rented a new Camaro. Could barley see out of the windows. It was the most un-comfortable car I've ever been in. I would never own one.
When the damn car first came out, that's the impression I got too, it was like I was sitting in the seat but I couldn't see all that much on the outside.

Sure if you put some good ole American Power up under the hood you make her go. But it's still a Chevy, with Chevy Snap on Interior Bits and engineering down to the lowest common denominator. Besides who in their right minds would cross shop one of them new Z28s with a GT3? Though I will admit, to keep that Chevy tamed and up with the big boys on track days you have got to have your Hot Shoe's on - and I imagine that to be a rewarding experience.

And you know Car and Driver will have it in their next Lightning Lap with "someone/writer" behind the wheel getting the statistics and will probably get beaten by the new Cayman GTS! Anybody else in on that bet?
Old 05-27-2014, 05:23 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Got to give anyone credit who is brave enough to buy a GM product these days, but still Peter, that last part is just crazy talk....
Dude, have you been visiting the Hondo's in the Tenderloin lately? That is crazy talk man!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Rode in one this weekend, thanks to LehmanZ06

Its looks like a beast and sounds like a beast.
Handles very flat, but to me it felt like a more comfortable daily driver than the GT3RS, maybe similar to a GT3 but quieter. Inside even looked OK, better than expected with alcantara dash, nice Recaro's.
Crazy fat torque, but that also comes with lazy rev response on the way down when you are used to a Gt3. Fits 4 people, 5 star rated safety and super duper shocks and brakes.

If it really handles nice on the limit (and I don't doubt that) on track and it will hold up lap after lap and weekend after weekend as advertised, what's not to like except tire wear?

Only negative I see is I don't fit as-is with helmet on, but I think the OEM seat can be dropped and I can take cushion out of the bottom part of the seat (Too bad you cant take it out like in a GT3), wife wont drive manual and no Euro delivery.
Otherwise lovely.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:29 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 333 Posts

Have Z/28's been delivering already?
Old 05-28-2014, 01:44 AM
blackbull
Racer

Originally Posted by Blkdsr12
There are variables that are hard to measure. I owned a 2006 ZO6...fantastic performance for the price. A friend of mine had a 430 Ferrari and we traded for a drive. On paper, both cars had very similar performance, but the feel, fit and finish of the Ferrari was completely different. After driving the Ferrari and getting back into my ZO6, I felt like I was driving home in a souped-up Impala!
It's more than just raw number on paper; sometimes it's about how a door closes or a seat feels or a car smells that gets your blood flowing. Tire compound obviously has a tremendous affect on lap times, too.
This is the essence of what defines a car.......and establishes its character!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:53 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

^and how u drive your car as well. Not for me- FLATOUT or find another hobby. Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camaro "better" than GT3...