Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Don't Trofero's have durability issues?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:15 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by redleg321
If you can tame her, she's an excellent value. $75k for 305 Trofeo R's all around and CCB standard? That is nuts.

GT-R fanboys seem to enjoy attacking with the idea that the Z/28 can "only be faster if you know how to drive it."

Yeah, working hard and earning your lap time is lame amirite?
That is the GT-r mantra, if you can't drive get a GT-r

Peter
Old 05-21-2014, 02:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
I never understand side-by-side tests on different tires I can take a regular old 3.8RS and put it on Trofeo R's and it will be quicker than a 991 GT3 on Michelin Supersports Indeed, I can put a 996 GT3 on slicks and it will be quicker than a 4.0RS on winter tires This is really silly. Trofeo R is a ridiculous tire, nowhere close to the Michelin. It is the fastest street legal tire I have ever driven. And, I know enough people with 991's on the way who are planning to immediately swap out their Dunlops and MPSC2 for Trofeos because they know the older cars on the quicker rubber may give them a run for their money! edit: One may ask why Porsche doesn't just run the gt3 with the Trofeo R directly? Pirelli Motorsport factory is in Turkey, same place they make the F1 stuff. Apparently they are not equipped for OEM homologation for Porsche, whatever that means.
Can we stop putting the trofeo Rs on a pedestal? They are NOT that great of a tire. People talk like they are R6 semi slick tires. They are track day R comp tires, same class as MPSC tires. Yes, the treadwear rating is lower with the trofeo R, that just means it wears quicker. Not necessarily stickier. I'd rather have nt01 tires with a treadwear of 100 over the trofeo and MPSC rating of 60.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:47 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Can we stop putting the trofeo Rs on a pedestal? They are NOT that great of a tire. People talk like they are R6 semi slick tires. They are track day R comp tires, same class as MPSC tires. Yes, the treadwear rating is lower with the trofeo R, that just means it wears quicker. Not necessarily stickier. I'd rather have nt01 tires with a treadwear of 100 over the trofeo and MPSC rating of 60.
I have had superb experience with the Trofeo R. I burned through half a dozen sets of MPSC race and N spec and half a dozen sets of Trofeo R.

It is much faster than the MPSC. I'm not putting it on a pedestal. I am stating a fact. Around 1.5s / min faster.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:40 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i rented a new Camaro. Could barley see out of the windows. It was the most un-comfortable car I've ever been in. I would never own one.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I have had superb experience with the Trofeo R. I burned through half a dozen sets of MPSC race and N spec and half a dozen sets of Trofeo R. It is much faster than the MPSC. I'm not putting it on a pedestal. I am stating a fact. Around 1.5s / min faster.
What about mpsc2?
Old 05-21-2014, 03:50 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

Joe

+1. It is substantially faster than the MSCP and NT01.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Joe +1. It is substantially faster than the MSCP and NT01.
Well crap, I'm gonna give my buddy Phil a hard time then for being slower than me when he is on trofeo Rs and I'm on NT01. Lol.

Last edited by orthojoe; 05-22-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:21 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never understand side-by-side tests on different tires
Do you understand side-by-side tests of cars with a double-clutch automatic gearbox vs an old fashioned manually shifted 6-speed? How about side-by-side tests with AWD vs rear wheel drive? How about 3200 lbs vs 3800 lbs? How about equipped with rear-wheel steering and not? It sounds like that's ok with you though?

It's funny how where you stand is a function of where you sit isn't it? You (your collective identical mindset cohort) choose to ignore a multitude of significant contributing factors to focus on the one factor you want to use for an excuse.

F1. Same tires for ALL cars. Massively different results. Riddle me the explanation for that, those of you afflicted with tire excusitis...

Not a personal attack Mr BBMGT3, simply an airing of what needs to aired
Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Transmission, suspension, steering, engine, etc. are inherent parts of the car, tires are easily replaced and don't last long on the track anyway, so they're not an inherent part of the car. To compare cars, it makes perfect sense to equalize the tires.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:14 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
Transmission, suspension, steering, engine, etc. are inherent parts of the car, tires are easily replaced and don't last long on the track anyway, so they're not an inherent part of the car. To compare cars, it makes perfect sense to equalize the tires.
Can't give up on it can you?

A car, a suspension, is tuned to a specific tire. The more focused its mission, the more specifically it is tuned to the tire. ABS, Traction Control, Damping, Springs, Sways, Bushings...on and on.

Chevrolet choose to tune this car to a specific tire. Porsche tunes to another tire for whatever reasons they have. Ditto Nissan. etc etc. It is what it is.

Such a "tiring" excuse.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
A car, a suspension, is tuned to a specific tire. The more focused its mission, the more specifically it is tuned to the tire. ABS, Traction Control, Damping, Springs, Sways, Bushings...on and on.
True, but that doesn't stop people from upgrading tires for track use with good results, and without having to change other aspects of the car.

How many advanced track drivers with Porsches are using the same tires on track as the car came with? In my experience, it's close to zero.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

You can change tires to make a car faster.

It's not as easy to drop 600 pounds and make a pig lighter. . .
Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Blkdsr12
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are variables that are hard to measure. I owned a 2006 ZO6...fantastic performance for the price. A friend of mine had a 430 Ferrari and we traded for a drive. On paper, both cars had very similar performance, but the feel, fit and finish of the Ferrari was completely different. After driving the Ferrari and getting back into my ZO6, I felt like I was driving home in a souped-up Impala!
It's more than just raw number on paper; sometimes it's about how a door closes or a seat feels or a car smells that gets your blood flowing. Tire compound obviously has a tremendous affect on lap times, too.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Originally Posted by RayDBonz
You can change tires to make a car faster.
It's not as easy to drop 600 pounds and make a pig lighter. . .
Exactly. Well stated.

Quick Reply: Camaro "better" than GT3...