Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would Title or carfax reflect engine change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:30 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Would Title or carfax reflect engine change?

Not sure if anyone brought this up, but would an engine swap at the dealer be reflected by Carfax? or worse, change the title of the car?

If so, has anyone thought of getting compensation for depreciation of value?
Old 05-17-2014, 12:21 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Hi Alex. This depreciation issue has been discussed at great length. The only way the engine change would end up in CarFax is if Porsche specifically reported it to them. We've been told that they are not going to do that.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:28 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Hi Alex. This depreciation issue has been discussed at great length. The only way the engine change would end up in CarFax is if Porsche specifically reported it to them. We've been told that they are not going to do that.
Isn't it pretty easy for them to figure out. As in, "oh the build date was what? Ok, it had the engine swapped." Heck, it prob won't be hard to do from just the VIN. They don't need Porsche to report it. I don't really give a crap about carfaux though. Their record are generally useless.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:31 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Anyone looking to buy a used 991 GT3 will already be aware of the engine issues and will ask if it was changed. I'd not worry about the fox.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:42 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Isn't it pretty easy for them to figure out. As in, "oh the build date was what? Ok, it had the engine swapped." Heck, it prob won't be hard to do from just the VIN. They don't need Porsche to report it. I don't really give a crap about carfaux though. Their record are generally useless.
Sure. All I'm saying is that according to their own website CarFax does no investigation or instigation of record keeping. They report only what's been reported to them.

My understanding is that engine numbers will not match the chassis number in any event, although Porsche will provide a certificate which properly associates each new engine with each specific car. If that's a problem for someone, it is what it is.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:19 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The service record for each VIN in PCNA's data base will most certainly reflect this. The language PCNA ultimately decides to use for owners wishing to have a COA should be interesting.

Quick Reply: Would Title or carfax reflect engine change?