Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes please post something. Don't keep us hanging
Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 PM
igirl
Track Day

When the (new) engine is cold (at start up), you can see a new blue icon.

"Funny" when you remember that I had an issue with the old engine (a temp error icon appeared). Porsche had solved something about it but I do not know what exactly...
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2014, 06:39 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by igirl
When the (new) engine is cold (at start up), you can see a new blue icon. "Funny" when you remember that I had an issue with the old engine (a temp error icon appeared). Porsche had solved something about it but I do not know what exactly...
Is that blue icon appearing in an LCD screen? So it's a part of a software update?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

iGirl. Thanks for the picture. How did your track weekend in the GT3 go?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

igirl - Thanks. Have you checked to see if they placed a mesh screen of some sort on the inside of the front wheels to protect debris from damaging the radiator?

I think the blue icon is an important addition. Engine damage can occur if you high rev a cold engine. I think Porsche put this here to protect themselves from any potential engine damage liabilities(?) and also for the consumer so you know when you can let her fly. Also, I have to assume, for the track junkies - I have to believe they will like the addition.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:59 PM
igirl
Track Day

So yes, I am one of the lucky owners who get his 991 GT3 back!
And I have spent 2 days on track (Magny-Cours) with it.
For info, I have driven 1.600 km with the old engine but no track day.

Here are some personal feelings:
- the new engine does not feel different from the old one
- a new blue icon appears at start up if the engine is cold (I was very surprised at the beginning, I thought it was a bug!)
- sport exhaust mode: with the old engine, you had to rev higher than 5.000 rpm to hear the difference; now, since the very beginning, you can notice the difference! nice
- RWS: what I have noticed is now the car changes direction immediately, since the first degrees, more noticeable than before
- on road, the car is nice but not the best choice for everyday use (I prefer my 458 Speciale)
- on track, it is a completely different animal! what a car!! gear changes are awesome, really! the engine sound after 5.000 rpm is very nice and "mechanical" (I still prefer the 458 Speciale sound)
- think about it: on the same track, I do a complete lap in 1"55 with my 458 Speciale. With the 991 GT3? ... 1"56! !! Yes, just a difference of 1 sec! With a car that has 130hp less and costs 100 KE less!

I love that GT3. More each day.
I do not really enjoy to drive it on open roads, I "hate" the lack of torque before 5.000 rpm (I even prefer my M3 CRT for everyday use). A Porsche technical guy told me that I will have a different feeling after 3.000 km... We will see.
But when you drive on track... Oh my god! The car is so so stable, the grip is insane!!

I hope this short review will help you to wait for your babe...
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Igirl, great review and comparison with the 458 Speciale. What I find interesting is you like the 459 S better for daily driving. Why do you feel that way?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:07 PM
igirl
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
igirl - Thanks. Have you checked to see if they placed a mesh screen of some sort on the inside of the front wheels to protect debris from damaging the radiator?
I saw something but I do not remember how it was before so...
Old 05-19-2014, 07:07 PM
0Q991
Drifting

So yes, I am one of the lucky owners who get his 991 GT3 back! And I have spent 2 days on track (Magny-Cours) with it. For info, I have driven 1.600 km with the old engine but no track day. Here are some personal feelings: - the new engine does not feel different from the old one - a new blue icon appears at start up if the engine is cold (I was very surprised at the beginning, I thought it was a bug!) - sport exhaust mode: with the old engine, you had to rev higher than 5.000 rpm to hear the difference; now, since the very beginning, you can notice the difference! nice - RWS: what I have noticed is now the car changes direction immediately, since the first degrees, more noticeable than before - on road, the car is nice but not the best choice for everyday use (I prefer my 458 Speciale) - on track, it is a completely different animal! what a car!! gear changes are awesome, really! the engine sound after 5.000 rpm is very nice and "mechanical" (I still prefer the 458 Speciale sound) - think about it: on the same track, I do a complete lap in 1"55 with my 458 Speciale. With the 991 GT3? ... 1"56! !! Yes, just a difference of 1 sec! With a car that has 130hp less and costs 100 KE less! I love that GT3. More each day. I do not really enjoy to drive it on open roads, I "hate" the lack of torque before 5.000 rpm (I even prefer my M3 CRT for everyday use). A Porsche technical guy told me that I will have a different feeling after 3.000 km... We will see. But when you drive on track... Oh my god! The car is so so stable, the grip is insane!! I hope this short review will help you to wait for your babe...
Thanks for the review!

So no discernible difference in throttle mapping or torque delivery than before?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:11 PM
igirl
Track Day

Originally Posted by Nick
Igirl, great review and comparison with the 458 Speciale. What I find interesting is you like the 459 S better for daily driving. Why do you feel that way?
With the 458 Speciale, even at low speed, you can feel how great is the car! Easy to drive, nice dampers, great engine sound, torque everywhere...

With the 991 GT3, at low speed, even with Comfort dampers mode, the drive is not so pleasant. The lack of torque is really noticeable. And the sound of the engine before 5.000 rpm is... euh... arf.
Maybe I had too great cars before (M3 CRT, LP560-4...).
Old 05-19-2014, 07:12 PM
igirl
Track Day

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Thanks for the review!

So no discernible difference in throttle mapping or torque delivery than before?
I would like to say Yes but... Not really. Maybe a little with the Sport exhaust mode but difficult to made a comparison when I drove the GT3 for the last time 3 months ago...
Old 05-19-2014, 07:18 PM
0Q991
Drifting

I would like to say Yes but... Not really. Maybe a little with the Sport exhaust mode but difficult to made a comparison when I drove the GT3 for the last time 3 months ago...
Thanks! I wonder how the car will loosen up after 3k kilometers...
Old 05-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

- a new blue icon appears at start up if the engine is cold (I was very surprised at the beginning, I thought it was a bug!)
- sport exhaust mode: with the old engine, you had to rev higher than 5.000 rpm to hear the difference; now, since the very beginning, you can notice the difference! nice
- RWS: what I have noticed is now the car changes direction immediately, since the first degrees, more noticeable than before
- on road, the car is nice but not the best choice for everyday use (I prefer my 458 Speciale)
- on track, it is a completely different animal! what a car!! gear changes are awesome, really! the engine sound after 5.000 rpm is very nice and "mechanical" (I still prefer the 458 Speciale sound)
- think about it: on the same track, I do a complete lap in 1"55 with my 458 Speciale. With the 991 GT3? ... 1"56! !! Yes, just a difference of 1 sec! With a car that has 130hp less and costs 100 KE less!

I do not really enjoy to drive it on open roads, I "hate" the lack of torque before 5.000 rpm (I even prefer my M3 CRT for everyday use). A Porsche technical guy told me that I will have a different feeling after 3.000 km... We will see.
But when you drive on track... Oh my god! The car is so so stable, the grip is insane!!

With the 458 Speciale, even at low speed, you can feel how great is the car! Easy to drive, nice dampers, great engine sound, torque everywhere...

With the 991 GT3, at low speed, even with Comfort dampers mode, the drive is not so pleasant. The lack of torque is really noticeable. And the sound of the engine before 5.000 rpm is... euh... arf.
That does it. I'm ordering a 458 Speciale...
Old 05-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks, that make sense. That is why I switched to Ferrari (you describe the Ferrari experience perfectly) from Porsche and now trying Porsche again. Hopefully, as the GT3 gets mileage the situation will improve. Since 99% of my driving will be on public roads I am hoping the GT3 will give me the Ferrari experience at much less cost.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Thanks a lot for your review!

Question: Did you do the 'break-in' again or went straight to the track? What did Porsche recommend you?

Thanks and enjoy your car!

Quick Reply: Observations of New Engines