Sponsored by:

Sport chrono again

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 05:28 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sport chrono again

I am one of the guys that ordered a GT3 back in November and was to have it delivered in July. The latest communication from the dealer indicated that my car will now be a MY2015 delivered in November or December 2014.
He wanted me to review my build order (I assume because he had to reorder it). Upon so doing he indicated that option 640 (sport chrono) is no longer available. However "Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App" is available, but it is now $1850.00 vs $400.00 for the originally ordered sport chrono. I told him that under the circumstances I didn't think that I should have to cover the difference. He simply stated that if I didn't want to pay for it that he would remove it. Have any of you guys had the same experience? How did you handle it?

Thanks, Todd
Old 05-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^I would be very persistent in a professional manner and have them comp. your for the sport chrono at the original price when you ordered in Nov.. The sport chrono really has no significance on a GT3 unless you track it but there are other available after market options that people prefer to utilize for tracking. I would not pay the $1850 but for $400 it does complete the dash in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 PM
lonj
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told by the salesman that you had to order the sport chrono to get the Sport Plus functions that include launch control and some gear shifting strategy and a change in engine mapping. The cost is $1850.
Do you guys corroborate this or is blowing smoke.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:27 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lonj
I was told by the salesman that you had to order the sport chrono to get the Sport Plus functions that include launch control and some gear shifting strategy and a change in engine mapping. The cost is $1850.

This is NOT true for the GT3. The Sport Plus is std. Also is the Launch Control.

IF you like the clock get it. The only difference between a '15 and a '14 is there is a price difference for which you get a lap timer. (Something like : http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html) edited: on the '15 model you have more options to "read the track" and more precisely review your lap times on a track.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:29 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 991GT3
This is NOT true for the GT3. The Sport Plus is std. Also is the Launch Control. IF you like the clock get it. The only difference between a '15 and a '14 is there is a price difference for which you get a lap timer. (Something like : http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html)
^^Yep. For 2014, the clock was $400. All functions / features typically associated with sport Chrono are already baked in with the GT3. For 2015, you get the lap timer stuff.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:32 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with others. I got it because I liked the look. I use AIM solo for lap times. At the current price, I would have passed.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:32 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lonj
Dealer is blowing smoke. On the 991 GT3 the sport chrono option (whether the 2014 or 2015 option) does not change engine mapping / throttle response nor does it affect launch control which is part of the basic functions of the PDK-S transmission.

The 2014 Sport Chrono option adds the very nice clock on the dash which can be manually operated via the control stalk to roughly time laps. This option also enables some performance (car dynamics) displays in the PCM.

The 2015 Sport Chrono option adds the clock on the dash and the performance displays on the PCM. At this time we don't have much insight into the data logging and the interaction with the "Precision Track App". The promotional information states the this option allows GPS lap timing, though we are still waiting to find out if the option uses the PCM / Navigation GPS or the GPS in your smartphone (hopefully the former). The "Precision Track App" seems to suggest displaying data via your phone, if this doesn't include download to a PC for further analysis and comparison with other drivers it will have very little utility.

VR,

Ryan
Old 05-08-2014, 09:33 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Edit - duh, many others already replied!

Blowing smoke. Or more rather misinformed. He is talking about the Sport Chrono in the normal 911 - http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...hrono-package/

In the GT3, it does nothing of significance. - http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...hrono-package/

Spend your money elsewhere. IMHO.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:46 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Given Porsche's attitude toward tracking the GT3 (center locks, no slicks, no clubsport in US, etc), I hope they don't use the software record as proof to deny warranty claims. Has that already been discussed?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Given Porsche's attitude toward tracking the GT3 (center locks, no slicks, no clubsport in US, etc), I hope they don't use the software record as proof to deny warranty claims. Has that already been discussed?
They warranty track use but you have to follow a slightly different service schedule.

Quick Reply: Sport chrono again