Sponsored by:

Buying buyback cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:07 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zucc
I am actually projecting the opposite...I think that my mom called it "sarcasm". As I said in earlier posts, I think that the 2014's will be fine, especially considering how hard it will be to get a 2015 any time soon.
Agreed, think so too ... didn't realize you were being facetious. Expecting a great engine with >4.5 yrs warranty. What we GT3 buyers also need is a report on the engine fix and confirmation of the specs.

For those who've driven this car, we don't have to be convinced as to how addictive and intoxicating this GT3 is ... I'd like to see a poll of how many delivered owners are keeping this car.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

With fire issue/delayed delivery, not the motorsport motor, being a first year model, shadowed by a new RS and soon to be face lifted 991 around the corner I doubt anybody will put up a fuss for a 2014/2015 auto tranny'd GT3 in a few years unless they stop making the GT3 altogether.

I think that once the RS arrives, a preowned 2014-2015 GT3 could actually be a bargin track car. $90-100k mark at 3 years old.

I would actually take one and strip it for a Cage @ $95k.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
With fire issue/delayed delivery, not the motorsport motor, being a first year model, shadowed by a new RS and soon to be face lifted 991 around the corner I doubt anybody will put up a fuss for a 2014/2015 auto tranny'd GT3 in a few years unless they stop making the GT3 altogether.

I think that once the RS arrives, a preowned 2014-2015 GT3 could actually be a bargin track car. $90-100k mark at 3 years old.

I don't mean to be argumentative but why will the RS "overshadow" the GT3 going forward? The RS will have basically the same non-motorsport motor, "auto" tranny, RWS, EM steering, etc. Granted it will have lighter aero bodywork and a big wing but it will also be $50K more expensive, if rumors are to be believed. If someone wouldn't buy a GT3 because it lacks motorsport heritage and a MT, why would they think the RS will be worthwhile to own?

The RS will have it's appeal to certain buyers in the new and pre-owned market but so will the GT3; each will have it's niche, IMHO.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:05 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I don't mean to be argumentative but why will the RS "overshadow" the GT3 going forward? The RS will have basically the same non-motorsport motor, "auto" tranny, RWS, EM steering, etc. Granted it will have lighter aero bodywork and a big wing but it will also be $50K more expensive, if rumors are to be believed. If someone wouldn't buy a GT3 because it lacks motorsport heritage and a MT, why would they think the RS will be worthwhile to own? The RS will have it's appeal to certain buyers in the new and pre-owned market but so will the GT3; each will have it's niche, IMHO.
I agree.

I find it interesting that the GT3 has had its share of critics, while the RS (the more hardcore variant...) has not seemed to garner the commensurate about of heat (pun, unfortunately, intended...).
Old 05-02-2014, 12:05 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed, I also hear the RS 4.0 is planned to tank in value next year. I plan to pick one up, skin it and make a cool backyard grill with it.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:45 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I don't mean to be argumentative but why will the RS "overshadow" the GT3 going forward? The RS will have basically the same non-motorsport motor, "auto" tranny, RWS, EM steering, etc. Granted it will have lighter aero bodywork and a big wing but it will also be $50K more expensive, if rumors are to be believed. If someone wouldn't buy a GT3 because it lacks motorsport heritage and a MT, why would they think the RS will be worthwhile to own?

The RS will have it's appeal to certain buyers in the new and pre-owned market but so will the GT3; each will have it's niche, IMHO.
As time has shown, (and as crazy as it may be) The RS always overshadows the non RS in terms of demand and resale.
Crazy examples:
964 carrera and 964 RSA are basically same car. Market favors the RSA.
997.1 GT3 and 997.1RS are basically the same car. Market favors the .1RS.

Most likely due to low production numbers but alas, People do tend to gravitate to the "RS" moniker...

If the 991RS is the same car as the 991GT3, people will still lean towards the RS for the name and fancy color scheme. Like fish in a barrell.

But the 991RS will have 500hp, fancy scoops, crazy aero, tastey gearing and something else special to market the masses im sure.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:53 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

As time has shown, (and as crazy as it may be) The RS always overshadows the non RS in terms of demand and resale.
Crazy examples:
964 carrera and 964 RSA are basically same car. Market favors the RSA.
997.1 GT3 and 997.1RS are basically the same car. Market favors the .1RS.

Most likely due to low production numbers but alas, People do tend to gravitate to the "RS" moniker...
Wait, you need to compare residual value on each to base msrp to determine which holds its value better on a percentage Basis. Of course the RS will be more expensive for the same year, since it started more expensive.

Can you post the residual vs. msrp for each model?
Old 05-02-2014, 12:53 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

RS models have always commanded more $$$ at least with mezger RS's. U saying otherwise with 991 rs? That's a 1st. Mike
Old 05-02-2014, 01:05 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Wait, you need to compare residual value on each to base msrp to determine which holds its value better on a percentage Basis. Of course the RS will be more expensive for the same year, since it started more expensive.

Can you post the residual vs. msrp for each model?
When you compare the MSRP of both models and current resale values of both models it will show the depreciation is less on the RS. This is due to the healthy demand within the last year. Time has shown us the older the RS gets, the better the ratio.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:20 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
RS models have always commanded more $$$ at least with mezger RS's. U saying otherwise with 991 rs? That's a 1st. Mike
Of course the 991 RS will command more $$$ than the GT3; for one thing it costs more to begin with and the price difference between the two is likely going to be a lot greater than it has been. MSRP between the 997.2 GT3 and RS was around $15-20K. If the 991 RS goes for $180K+ as has been rumored that's a $50K delta to the GT3. I think that might affect some people's decision when they compare the relative price/performance of the two models. We'll see if the RS can hold it's value as well compared to the 3 even with that price disadvantage; maybe it can.

But what I'm really saying is that we haven't heard nearly the same kind of criticism re: the 991RS that we've heard from some people about the 991 GT3, even though they will have basically the same non-Mezger engine, gearbox, 20"+ tires, electronic nannies, etc. etc. I just think it sounds strange (to me) to hear that a car with all those "flaws" will overshadow it's little brother. I guess it's because two letters, a tiny bit more HP, some lightweight pieces, and a bigger wing suddenly makes people forget all that other stuff.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:20 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike, it's the 21" rear wheels that make the difference!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:35 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Of course the 991 RS will command more $$$ than the GT3; for one thing it costs more to begin with and the price difference between the two is likely going to be a lot greater than it has been. MSRP between the 997.2 GT3 and RS was around $15-20K. If the 991 RS goes for $180K+ as has been rumored that's a $50K delta to the GT3. I think that might affect some people's decision when they compare the relative price/performance of the two models. We'll see if the RS can hold it's value as well compared to the 3 even with that price disadvantage; maybe it can. But what I'm really saying is that we haven't heard nearly the same kind of criticism re: the 991RS that we've heard from some people about the 991 GT3, even though they will have basically the same non-Mezger engine, gearbox, 20"+ tires, electronic nannies, etc. etc. I just think it sounds strange (to me) to hear that a car with all those "flaws" will overshadow it's little brother. I guess it's because two letters, a tiny bit more HP, some lightweight pieces, and a bigger wing suddenly makes people forget all that other stuff.
Yep. What I've been feeling / saying too. Well said, Mike.

Quick Reply: Buying buyback cars?