Sponsored by:

Buying buyback cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
When this question was posed earlier, I texted my salesperson and he responded "on subsequent resale, the lemon designation may not persist but it will always show on the Carfax report".
Thanks, Sam. The question then becomes whether Porsche is under legal obligation to report this event to Carfax. From my reading of their website, Carfax does not search out information independently but rather reports only what is reported to them, so it may come down to individual state reporting requirements. Many of the affected cars are still held at port and may not even have been officially imported into the US. Do local laws apply to those cars any more than they would if the cars were still in Germany and had work done on them at the factory? I'm skeptical....

It's possible the only cars which might be affected by the lemon status are those which have physically been in the hands of owners and are being bought back by Porsche, but is this buyback even being done under the lemon law statute? In any event there aren't very many in that category, and when all is said and done I suspect there will be few cars with tarnished docs and most will be free to sell at premium prices.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:47 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All cars being serviced by Porsche Dealers will probably show up on Carfax. I think the reporting is automatic.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks, Sam. The question then becomes whether Porsche is under legal obligation to report this event to Carfax. From my reading of their website, Carfax does not search out information independently but rather reports only what is reported to them, so it may come down to individual state reporting requirements. Many of the affected cars are still held at port and may not even have been officially imported into the US. Do local laws apply to those cars any more than they would if the cars were still in Germany and had work done on them at the factory? I'm skeptical....

It's possible the only cars which might be affected by the lemon status are those which have physically been in the hands of owners and are being bought back by Porsche, but is this buyback even being done under the lemon law statute? In any event there aren't very many in that category, and when all is said and done I suspect there will be few cars with tarnished docs and most will be free to sell at premium prices.
As always, great points. If PCNA is the buyer and not the dealer, wouldn't that qualify as a "manufacturer" buy back, aka lemon? As you said, there are not likely to be many in this category. Haven't we heard of just two buybacks on Rennlist?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:52 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
All cars being serviced by Porsche Dealers will probably show up on Carfax. I think the reporting is automatic.
It likely is but I'm not sure about what kind of detail is passed on. For my car services, all what was mentioned in the Carfax report was "vehicle passed emissions inspection". I realize the biggest service I had done was a belt service but still.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:10 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in the same position as the OP. I'm waiting to see what the prices of the 2014's will do. Maybe not right now, but by the end of the year when 2015s start arriving, I'd expect the market for engine swapped '14s to go down a bit. A lot? Probably not. But certainly below MSRP.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

As a relatively recent point of reference, the first batch of Boxster Spyders were held for roof latch replacement (after a handful were released and quickly recalled). It was never called a 'stop sale', but effectively that's what it was. Mine was one of them, and there is nothing about it on the Carfax.

And I do not see any reason why title of a car bought back by a dealer would be branded as a 'lemon' unless the Lemon Law process is initiated. How would the buy-back be differentiated from any other dealer used car purchase or trade-in?

Bottom line - I agree with others that there will not be any fantastic deals out there on used GT3s. Still too much demand, and there will never be oversupply.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:36 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I cant see dealers fire saleing them and I cant see owners ditching them once they have new engines installed.
Any 2014 that is returned back to PAG will most likely end up CPO on dealer lot (once repaired).
Old 04-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
I don't think that it is automatic. I have had all my maintenance and a couple of warranty repairs completed at my local dealership. None of them have been reported to Carfax.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

As is being pointed out, many types of service and repairs aren't regularly reported to Carfax. From a purely practical standpoint, unless there is absolute legal requirement for Porsche to report the engine swaps to Carfax, they would be crazy to do so.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:48 AM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts

I was just offered a 2014 with 600 miles from a dealership in GA 3 weeks ago. They wanted 10k over sticker PLUS they wanted me to pay for the extended warranty! As well as no idea when I'd actually have the car because the motor still had to be replaced. I declined.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Engeljizzle
I was just offered a 2014 with 600 miles from a dealership in GA 3 weeks ago. They wanted 10k over sticker PLUS they wanted me to pay for the extended warranty! As well as no idea when I'd actually have the car because the motor still had to be replaced. I declined.
Which dealer? PM me if you prefer.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:17 AM
mb97tts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are not lemon law buy backs

It is a warranty issue

Carfax won't show anything
Old 04-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

The engine replacement will not show up on carfax. My Dealer emphatically conveyed this message.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

It won't have to. There has been so much negative press on this car that most enthusiasts will know or a friend will know. I doubt there will be any discount on 2014 cars from dealers. There is still a lot of demand for this car. Once there is 2015 and perhaps 2016 cars available then we will see. When i bought my unsold 2011 GT3RS off the floor there was a new unsold GT3 sitting next to it. When that happens 2014 cars will no longer be that desireable. IMHO of course. If I were going to keep a 2014 I would enjoy it (after you finally get it) and sell it soon. The play may be to take the compensation then sell the car immediately.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:34 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

As a data point: Porsche of North Houston has two used 2014s that are listed for what appears to be roughly $20k over MSRP.

Quick Reply: Buying buyback cars?