Sponsored by:

Questions from potential 991 GT3 Owner to an Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:45 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts
Default Questions from potential 991 GT3 Owner to an Owner

All, my GT3 has been sitting at the Port in Rhode Island since Feb.; and this Friday I/we will be learning the supposed details and then I will have a decision to make whether to "pass" or "take". In the interim, I have been driving a 991s(PDK) loaner and I have a bunch of random questions for Actual GT3 owners( or non-Owners) who have spent some time behind the wheel. Now, I have owned several Porsches and the latest was a 997.2 Turbo(manual), for a reference. I will admit that the 991 platform, in my opinion, is better than the 997 and I am a "manual" guy but have to say I am a bit surprised that PDK can be fun and I see both negatives and positives but these have been debated to death but wanted to give a little history and details. The following are some random questions that might of been answered in different threads but maybe other Potential owners have additional questions, as well.

1) Can you stall the GT3??? - On the 991S in "Sport-plus" if you slow down w/o shifting it will do it for you

2) At a stop light if you let go of the gas will the GT3 creep forward like in the 991S I am experiencing?- In a manual I am in netral that is why I am asking

3) How would you describe the exhaust note in standard and then when you hit the sport exhaust button on the GT3?

4) Continuation of 3). If I decide to take the GT3; I am interested in the Sharkwerks muffler bypass. Can you notice the difference in standard mode between a GT3 with and w/o the bypass?. Is it just too much with the Bypass when you hit the exhaust button?. Is the standard exhaust sufficient. FYI - exhaust sound is important to me that is why so many questions
Old 03-31-2014, 06:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

1) There's a vid of one of the pre-launch cars being driven up a ramp into a trailer and the guy stalls it once trying to feather the throttle at very low speeds. But I suspect what you mean is, will PDK-S downshift automatically as you come to a stop and the answer is yes. It waits longer to do this than regular PDK does. In fact, when in manual mode it won't downshift until you have almost reached idle rpm and if you want to accelerate again (before reaching that downshift at idle) you need to downshift manually to keep from lugging the engine.

2) PDK-S does not creep like PDK. As mentioned above you have to feather the throttle to get it to engage smoothly, so in that sense it's similar to feathering the clutch to start smoothly with a manual transmission.

3) The exhaust note is deeper and slightly louder when you engage the sport button at idle. There is not a huge difference at cruising speed but when you accelerate there is a very obvious ripping growl from the exhaust that you don't get with the exhaust "turned off".

4) Haven't heard the Sharkwerks bypass so someone else will have to comment on that. For me the standard sport exhaust is perfect, but you may want something louder.

I'll just add that there is a big difference, IMO, between PDK-S and PDK, so if you think PDK is fun at all, you'll really like PDK-S.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-31-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Thanks Mike. Been reading this forum since Sept and appreciate your posts. Your optimism also helps since my head hurts since this "stop sale"
Old 04-02-2014, 12:45 AM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's PDK-S?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:55 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mainly
what's PDK-S?
It's the version of PDK that's only available in the 991 GT3. Quicker response to driver input, quicker and more aggressive shifts, shorter spaced gearing, no creep at idle, full manual mode with no kickdown feature or upshift at redline, improved cooling, slightly lighter, console gearshift action reversed from PDK so that pulling back upshifts and pushing forward downshifts.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:32 AM
johnnylmz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in the last question as well. Mostly how much difference in standard mode with VS without the bypass. Anyone care to share? Thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:20 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Mike - In the GT3(PDK-S) can you cause any engine damage on a redline down shift? In other wards; I am assuming engine will stall slightly if you redline on an upshift but, more importantly, if you are over aggressive on a down shift will it rev match or not allow you in a lower gear to protect engine?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Mike - In the GT3(PDK-S) can you cause any engine damage on a redline down shift? In other wards; I am assuming engine will stall slightly if you redline on an upshift but, more importantly, if you are over aggressive on a down shift will it rev match or not allow you in a lower gear to protect engine?
Jimmy, it's possible to bounce off the rev limiter repeatedly in manual mode without the gearbox upshifting on it's own. But PDK-S (and PDK) won't let you shift into a lower gear if that downshift would put you above redline. So no money shift allowed, it will protect the engine.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:13 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's the version of PDK that's only available in the 991 GT3. Quicker response to driver input, quicker and more aggressive shifts, shorter spaced gearing, no creep at idle, full manual mode with no kickdown feature or upshift at redline, improved cooling, slightly lighter, console gearshift action reversed from PDK so that pulling back upshifts and pushing forward downshifts.
Mike,

Does the GT3 accelerator have a kick down button? Is there kick down in the auto mode?

Thx,

Ryan
Old 05-26-2014, 05:37 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

4) Continuation of 3). If I decide to take the GT3; I am interested in the Sharkwerks muffler bypass. Can you notice the difference in standard mode between a GT3 with and w/o the bypass?. Is it just too much with the Bypass when you hit the exhaust button?. Is the standard exhaust sufficient. FYI - exhaust sound is important to me that is why so many questions
Mike already answered 1-3. I have the Sharkwerks bypass. When the sport exhaust is turned off, there is little difference between stock and Sharkwerks. With it on, there is a noticeable difference between 3,000 RPM onwards. It is a mild increase that is very welcome and noticeable and doubt anyone would consider it too loud. For me, it was a great purchase.

Just my 2 cents regarding whether to take the car or walk. I drove a 997 C and a 991 C4S, among others. Power difference aside, the 991 platform is much more livable on the road and in my experience, handles better. I also drove a 991 TTS and PDK-S compared to PDK is, as Mike eluded, in a different league, even with the power difference between the GT3 and the TTS. When you downshift the GT3, it's the best sound you'd ever hear. Upshifts are explosive but smooth (yeah yeah oxymoron but true). When I drove it on the street, I constantly changed gears, all the time, forever and ever. It is just that good and makes for a fun experience. I doubt that anyone who drives this car will give it up. Well, with rare exceptions. I have traded many cars before with less than 2,000 miles on them because I got bored or wanted something better or if I had to take them back to the shop one time too many (my then brand new Maseratti QP was the record holder, 13 times in 8 months). Not this car. My wait will be 5 months but I'm good. Don't get me wrong, I almost sold it back many times but it's still in my garage.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by reidry
Mike,

Does the GT3 accelerator have a kick down button? Is there kick down in the auto mode?

Thx,

Ryan
Hi Ryan. In case you wanted a literal answer to your question there is no visible "button" or switch below the accelerator, but the gearbox will kick down with enough throttle in auto mode, whether in default or PDK Sport. It reacts with an earlier kick down in PDK Sport.

In manual mode there is no kick down, although if you let the revs drop low enough (1100-1700 rpm or so depending on what gear you are in and whether you are in default or PDK Sport) the gearbox will eventually downshift on it's own to keep from stalling the car or seriously lugging the engine. So as you roll to a stop and finally come to rest the box will be in first gear if you haven't already selected it yourself. Upshifts, OTOH, are totally under driver control and you can bounce off the limiter all day in manual mode.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:30 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Hi Ryan. In case you wanted a literal answer to your question there is no visible "button" or switch below the accelerator, but the gearbox will kick down with enough throttle in auto mode, whether in default or PDK Sport. It reacts with an earlier kick down in PDK Sport.

In manual mode there is no kick down, although if you let the revs drop low enough (1100-1700 rpm or so depending on what gear you are in and whether you are in default or PDK Sport) the gearbox will eventually downshift on it's own to keep from stalling the car or seriously lugging the engine. So as you roll to a stop and finally come to rest the box will be in first gear if you haven't already selected it yourself. Upshifts, OTOH, are totally under driver control and you can bounce off the limiter all day in manual mode.
Mike, thanks for the clarification. Looks that in auto PDK-S operates a bit like regular PDK in that while in auto and cruising in high gear, matting the throttle results in the selection of a lower gear for acceleration. Really good to hear that PDK-S does not have that behavior in manual.

Ryan
Old 05-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Guys - explain to me the ESC OFF / TC OFF switches. Now, when you track the car I am assuming you turn them both off?? . Now, just say you are street driving and you want a little more play with the rear end; would you hit the "ESC OFF" button. I guess I am just trying to understand the difference between each of those switches and certain scenarios where you would turn either or both off.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:41 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys - explain to me the ESC OFF / TC OFF switches. Now, when you track the car I am assuming you turn them both off?? . Now, just say you are street driving and you want a little more play with the rear end; would you hit the "ESC OFF" button. I guess I am just trying to understand the difference between each of those switches and certain scenarios where you would turn either or both off.
TC and ESC on the GT3 do not interfere until rather late, a lot later than in the Carrera models. You can still play with the rear end when they are on. I personally would never drive with them off on the street because of several reasons, the most important of which is my mind is not in "track mode" 100% of the time.

Edit: I realize I didn't answer your question. I'm not quite sure what's the difference between the two off positions either. I understand what each function does, I just don't know how it affects the car's behavior so I'm waiting for an intelligent answer from someone who knows.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:10 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Jimmy, I think you have the general idea. The two components of PSM (ESC and TC) can be useful as a "safety net" while you're learning a new layout but ultimately you'll be probably be faster with them turned off. And I leave them on for street driving. Sam is right; the PSM in the GT3 allows a lot of latitude before it kicks in unlike other stability systems I've experienced.

When you read the manual, it's clear that PSM is a very complex system that is affected by bunch of different inputs. I'm no chassis engineer but being able to turn it off in stages could be useful. For example, if the ESC component of PSM senses front wheel slide it will reduce engine power which may be undesirable. Being able to turn off ESC but keep rear wheel TC active may be an advantage in certain situations. One interesting thing is that when ESC is turned off TC goes into a sportier mode. Also when ESC is turned off, according to the manual, "all brake interventions are deactivated." I'm not sure, but perhaps this includes the brake interventions associated with PTV +.

Maybe someone else can shed more light on this subject.

Quick Reply: Questions from potential 991 GT3 Owner to an Owner