Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions from potential 991 GT3 Owner to an Owner

Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Also when ESC is turned off, according to the manual, "all brake interventions are deactivated." I'm not sure, but perhaps this includes the brake interventions associated with PTV +. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this subject.
I don't think it's so much of a function as the PTV+ break intervention, as much as while the ESC is ON, the breaks will apply pressure to stabilize the car mid corner incase things go out of shape. Meaning, if you are going into a corner too hot and trail the brakes while the ESC is ON, you will feel the car bind mid corner and stabilize. You also might feel some slight feedback from the break pedal when ABS is kicking in. However, if ESC is OFF then there would be no binding mid corner, and the car would destabilize. On the other hand, PTV+ would always message the inside rear wheel to tuck the nose in regardless of ESC position. I would think that the function of PTV+ is there just to tuck the nose in and not intervene if things get hairy regardless ESC is On or OFF.

Now I could be completely wrong, but that's how I interoperate the above.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
I don't think it's so much of a function as the PTV+ break intervention, as much as while the ESC is ON, the breaks will apply pressure to stabilize the car mid corner incase things go out of shape. Meaning, if you are going into a corner too hot and trail the brakes while the ESC is ON, you will feel the car bind mid corner and stabilize. You also might feel some slight feedback from the break pedal when ABS is kicking in. However, if ESC is OFF then there would be no binding mid corner, and the car would destabilize. On the other hand, PTV+ would always message the inside rear wheel to tuck the nose in regardless of ESC position. I would think that the function of PTV+ is there just to tuck the nose in and not intervene if things get hairy regardless ESC is On or OFF.

Now I could be completely wrong, but that's how I interoperate the above.
The manual refers to "brake intervention" with respect to PTV+, and then elsewhere says that all "brake intervention" is suspended when ESC is turned off so it just got me to wondering. But you very well may be correct, Zulu, and the two aren't related.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:54 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimmy-D -- I seriously hope your not considering giving up. Your almost there.
I have a 911 pdk loaner, and love it, but there is no comparison between it, and the GT3. If you back out now, ---I suspect you will shoot your self after you take a ride in the 991 GT3 and realize how close you were. Hold off till first week in July and Im sure I'll have mine back cruising the Chicago area and take you for a spin..

btw - I was at Autobahn CC this weekend, and saw several 458's they looked and sounded good, but I honestly don't think they had the presence of the 991 GT3 in appearance or sound. --Maybe because the 458's are more common then GT3. -- Porsche had a couple 918's there for some demo drives later this week.. -- Now thats a different story..
Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBrake911
Jimmy-D -- I seriously hope your not considering giving up. Your almost there...
You are responding to a message that Jimmy-D posted on March 31st. Since then, he's posted over 300 times!

Not suggesting that he isn't on the fence again.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:42 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
You are responding to a message that Jimmy-D posted on March 31st. Since then, he's posted over 300 times!

Not suggesting that he isn't on the fence again.
Good. -- Ha Ha, haven't been keeping up.. That post was from 3/31 now that I look.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:10 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

I am all in. I have gotten over all the insecurities of the engine replacement ect ect. I am actually all in the more people want out. Like my Broker has always taught me. "The time to buys stocks is not necessarily when the market is hot but when people start selling because they are scared" - he has been right if you are patient. The moral of the story is I think this car will be epic but you will need to stick with it and be patient because only time will determine
Old 05-28-2014, 03:26 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The manual refers to "brake intervention" with respect to PTV+, and then elsewhere says that all "brake intervention" is suspended when ESC is turned off so it just got me to wondering. But you very well may be correct, Zulu, and the two aren't related.
Very understandable Mike, I wish they are more careful with word choice as they allude if A=B, and B=C then A=C, which in this case and reason would have us think otherwise. I think this is more of a word choice issue than the content or meaning of what is stated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions from potential 991 GT3 Owner to an Owner