Sponsored by:

Jag better steering feel than 991?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:23 AM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
When the hydraulic piston moves back and forth it's applying force to the steering rack same as with the electric motor. Force is force. If not torque, what should we call it?
well linear force would be a good start since torque is specifically a rotational force (ie applied in conjunction with a pivot point).

I thought that I had read in another post that you were an engineer, apologies for misremembering, I would have replied slightly differently (or more probably just not bothered)

the hydraulic rack applies linear force, the electric system provides torque (from the motor) which then needs to be converted from this rotational force into linear force on the rack using a roller screw gear (on the porsche).

roller screw gears used to be used on steering gears before rack and pinion. its not a new approach in itself.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I love manual racks on the track- best feel. On street- better load up on protein- its a chore.
Not always - the manual rack on my 911 can be driven with one finger once rolling beyond 15mph or so. Actually feels lighter (but with more feel) than most 911's with power steering. Having a very light car (with rear weight bias) and fairly narrow tires helps a ton...

Even parking requires no real muscle.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by outline
well linear force would be a good start since torque is specifically a rotational force (ie applied in conjunction with a pivot point).

I thought that I had read in another post that you were an engineer, apologies for misremembering, I would have replied slightly differently (or more probably just not bothered)

the hydraulic rack applies linear force, the electric system provides torque (from the motor) which then needs to be converted from this rotational force into linear force on the rack using a roller screw gear (on the porsche).

roller screw gears used to be used on steering gears before rack and pinion. its not a new approach in itself.
No reason to be a sarcastic d*ck ("thought you were an engineer.....etc."). We were just having a conversation, so I thought, although after reading your first truly unintelligible comment (Post #21) I wasn't sure how to approach the subject with you at all. Are you really so insecure that you have to immediately go into attack mode when someone disagrees with you?

The bottom line is that, by your own explanation above, "linear force" ends up being applied to the steering mechanism in either case. The fact that it starts out as torque from an electric motor and is converted to a linear force in the case of EAS isn't relevant in and of itself. What is relevant is how that force is applied and controlled and there's no inherent reason why an electrically assisted steering system can't ultimately be just as good as a hydraulic one. When hydraulic systems first replaced manual rack and pinion systems in Porsches they weren't all that great either. FWIW, the EAS in the 991 GT3 IS very good, even if some think it gives a bit less meaningful feedback than the steering in the 997 GT3.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:53 PM
outline
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No reason to be a sarcastic d*ck ("thought you were an engineer.....etc."). We were just having a conversation, so I thought, although after reading your first truly unintelligible comment (Post #21) I wasn't sure how to approach the subject with you at all. Are you really so insecure that you have to immediately go into attack mode when someone disagrees with you?

The bottom line is that, by your own explanation above, "linear force" ends up being applied to the steering mechanism in either case. The fact that it starts out as torque from an electric motor and is converted to a linear force in the case of EAS isn't relevant in and of itself. What is relevant is how that force is applied and controlled and there's no inherent reason why an electrically assisted steering system can't ultimately be just as good as a hydraulic one. When hydraulic systems first replaced manual rack and pinion systems in Porsches they weren't all that great either. FWIW, the EAS in the 991 GT3 IS very good, even if some think it gives a bit less meaningful feedback than the steering in the 997 GT3.
That was written exactly as it was intended.
I was certain that you had mentioned in another thread that you were an engineer. I had been going to joke about whether you were electricial, but since there is a motor involved refrained incase that was misconstrued, or indeed you actually were an electrical engineer and it wasnt taken with the light heart in which it was made since I do not know you.
If you think i was being sarcastic then i of course apologise, as I do for incorrectly having thought you were an engineer (note for the sake of clarity, both genuinely intended)

There is a lot of sand in folks underwears in these parts and its tiring trying to navigate it all but I for sure was trying.

I assume the mahoosive portion of irony lumped in your post is lost? Do you subscribe wholly to a napoleonic approach to relations, "On S'engage; Et Puis, On Voit"

Perhaps a re-read of my post may be in order, with a non sarcasm assuming viewpoint taken?

As for the rest. Poppycock.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike is the biggest gentleman on this forum. No reason to be snarky.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:23 PM
outline
Racer

Excuse me?
Old 03-28-2014, 03:51 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think he said Mike is the biggest gentleman on this forum. No reason to be snarky.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I think he said Mike is the biggest gentleman on this forum. No reason to be snarky.
+1.

Yep. Pretty sure that's a broad consensus.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:32 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Not the R but I remembered this R&T comparo btw the F type and a Boxster S last year at Limerock and on the surrounding roads.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...s-65-1-roa0813

...the Boxster just ran off into the distance. It turned 1:02s in the hands of your rapid Editor-in-Chief Larry Webster, while the best he could do in the Jag was more than two seconds slower.
In the end, we found ourselves searching for that one special feature that would tip the scales—and found it, sitting in the bright sun, in pit lane. The Jag, in all its magisterial whiteness. And where was the Boxster? Why, out on the track, tearing around, a true driver's car, one that makes you want to do another lap, and another after that, and then take the long way home.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Mike is the biggest gentleman on this forum. No reason to be snarky.
+3, even though his taste in car color is terrible.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
+3, even though his taste in car color is terrible.
Nobody's perfect....
Old 03-29-2014, 12:37 AM
BritExpat
1st Gear

New to Rennlist (first post) and thought I would christen with a view on the Jag: have driven it and while it is supposed to be a 911 killer I can say that IMHO it scratches but certainly doesn't kill...And this is from a Brit so if I was going to be biased about any car it would be this one
Old 03-29-2014, 01:02 AM
andrewk34
Rennlist Member

Where does he say it is "weak"? Here is his 2014 c7 versus 991 review, and he praises the 991:

QUOTE="0Q991;11245963"]From CH's early Evo review of the 991 to his recent (last several weeks / couple of months) /DRIVE reviews of the 991 (forgot if if was C2S or C4S), he went from praising the car to saying (several times) in this video that it was "weak"... A bit weird.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-29-2014, 01:06 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewk34
Where does he say it is "weak"? Here is his 2014 c7 versus 991 review, and he praises the 991: Video Link: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7MPSr7ZWnYQ QUOTE="0Q991;11245963"]From CH's early Evo review of the 991 to his recent (last several weeks / couple of months) /DRIVE reviews of the 991 (forgot if if was C2S or C4S), he went from praising the car to saying (several times) in this video that it was "weak"... A bit weird.
[/QUOTE]

Watch the F Type R video from /DRIVE this week--he says something to the effect of "the 911 is the weakest it's been in quite some time" and he says it a couple of different times, including near the end. I won't watch the video again to note the time markers of when he says it, but he certainly does. What's odd is that all his previous reviews and comparison drives with various 991 variants (even as recent as one with a yellow c2s, I believe also on /DRIVE), he praises the 991.

It's odd bc I've only ever heard him say usually positive things about the 991.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:15 AM
andrewk34
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'll look at that review.

Watch the F Type R video from /DRIVE this week--he says something to the effect of "the 911 is the weakest it's been in quite some time" and he says it a couple of different times, including near the end. I won't watch the video again to note the time markers of when he says it, but he certainly does. What's odd is that all his previous reviews and comparison drives with various 991 variants (even as recent as one with a yellow c2s, I believe also on /DRIVE), he praises the 991. It's odd bc I've only ever heard him say usually positive things about the 991.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Jag better steering feel than 991?