Sponsored by:

Battery trickle charger

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:33 PM
991RDC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery trickle charger

For those of us who have had our cars parked in the garage for over a month now and not having a clear engine replacement date locked in, consider using a trickle charger.
I called Ian Moon the GT3 Customer Concierge for NA and asked if they would sent me a trickle charger from Porsche so the battery charge and life would be maintained, he said that wouldn’t be a problem. You can also keep your car locked, that will shut most of the electronics down and save some of the battery drain.
Not looking for a handout here, just not wanting to be buying a new battery in the near future.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I've had my on a charger since day 1 of this thing. Good advice.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

I hope cars at PDI are getting the same treatment.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:18 PM
991RDC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've had my on a charger since day 1 of this thing. Good advice.
I don’t know why I didn’t think of the battery earlier, I guess I kind of went into a temporary coma after putting 915 miles on the best car I have ever had the pleasure of driving... and then that call asking us not to drive our cars until further notice.
I want to thank you personally for all the time and research you have put into this forum. If not for you I would have ended up with some random aftermarket Bluetooth installation. Thanks again Mike!!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 PM
MyenShi
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I hope cars at PDI are getting the same treatment.
Doubt it, especially seeing the pics of some of the cars held at port. At least they're locked... I hope.

New battery and tires will be something I'll be talking to them about.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

One would hope that Porsche while replacing the engine would check other parts of the car especially those prone to damage because of lack of use.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 991RDC
I don’t know why I didn’t think of the battery earlier, I guess I kind of went into a temporary coma after putting 915 miles on the best car I have ever had the pleasure of driving... and then that call asking us not to drive our cars until further notice.
I want to thank you personally for all the time and research you have put into this forum. If not for you I would have ended up with some random aftermarket Bluetooth installation. Thanks again Mike!!
Absolutely my pleasure!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
One would hope that Porsche while replacing the engine would check other parts of the car especially those prone to damage because of lack of use.
I hope so too. I mentioned this to my assigned rep also--that fluids, battery, and tires should be checked and replaced as likely needed.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:05 AM
sk0t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MyenShi
New battery and tires will be something I'll be talking to them about.
My GT3 was on a boat for six weeks and another two weeks have passed between then and when it should have arrived at the dealer; I'm pretty sure if it was being delivered straight away that it wouldn't have been given a new battery. Admittedly we'll be waiting longer still but it's not going to irreparably destroy the battery.
More likely the dealer can just charge the battery for you with a 6/7/8-step automatic battery charger, like the Porsche (CTEK) unit. Those chargers can recondition a battery that has been completely dead for months and will have the battery back to new overnight. My STi has lived about 350 days per year, for the last three years, on a CTEK charger and that battery would be at least six years old now; the chargers are brilliant.

I think tyres might be a stretch, too.

Scott.
-------
2014 991 GT3 - should be in Adelaide now
2007 Audi RS4
1999 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Quick Reply: Battery trickle charger