Sponsored by:

Timing of Engine Swaps - Possible New Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:08 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
I take the factory swap any day. My dealer has never touched a 991 GT3 let alone take the engine down. I just can't see how they can swap all these engines at the local dealer. My dealer only has two to swap but some of the bigger dealer have a bunch of cars. Look at the RI port with all those cars sitting at the port. They have a mess on their hand.
I agree it is a big mess and my dealership also has two cars (including mine) that have already been delivered. I personally feel very confident in my mechanic as he is a race car driver (spec Boxster) and is the one who does all the work on race cars. It seems he always has one or two engines off of a car so I am not terribly worried. I am from the camp that believes an engine swap, even on a 991, is "easy".
I still hope that they should offer the option to ship the cars back and let customers chose which way to go.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1

@mike

How does it work for cars such as mine which were produced in March, but without any engine? Is everything there such as wheels, transmission and suspension? How will the engine later be added?

My GT3 started production March 17 and was halted March 20. I have been told the rest will not be completed until August 29. Wonder where it is stored.
@mcsmcs1, just guessing here, but I'd bet your car was pulled off before the midway point of the assembly line at station 61 which is where the body is mated to the entire engine/drivetrain/suspension assembly. Your partially completed body could be reintroduced where it left off and run through station 61 and the remaining 50+ stations to completion. Those later stations include adding wheels and tires, seats, and doors.

In contrast, a car that was already finished with a suspect engine would have to be taken apart from the chassis before being remarried to a new engine/drivetrain/suspension assembly. I don't know how many of the things done in those last 50+ stations would have to be undone but for sure the body would have to come off. It's those disassembly steps that seem to me like they would be very inefficient.

Maybe Porsche has some special added process in place to do all of this. But since just doing a full engine swap is not that big of a deal it seems like unnecessary labor. Like I said, I'd love to see how they plan to do it.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:53 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why can't the factory just put the cars up on lifts and do the swaps ?
Old 04-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
I take the factory swap any day. My dealer has never touched a 991 GT3 let alone take the engine down. I just can't see how they can swap all these engines at the local dealer. My dealer only has two to swap but some of the bigger dealer have a bunch of cars. Look at the RI port with all those cars sitting at the port. They have a mess on their hand.
Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I agree it is a big mess and my dealership also has two cars (including mine) that have already been delivered. I personally feel very confident in my mechanic as he is a race car driver (spec Boxster) and is the one who does all the work on race cars. It seems he always has one or two engines off of a car so I am not terribly worried. I am from the camp that believes an engine swap, even on a 991, is "easy".
I still hope that they should offer the option to ship the cars back and let customers chose which way to go.
I share your confidence, Sam. My service manager insists that it's a plug and play operation and that they've done many engine swaps, not to mention all of the times they've had engines out of cars for more mundane service/repair issues. A 991 GT3 engine goes in and out of the car just like any other 911 engine and since the dealer isn't opening the thing up, any lack of familiarity with the internals isn't an issue. That's why we're getting complete new engines with all the ancillary pieces attached already.

Personally, I feel more comfortable with just the engine being swapped out at the dealership in a day than I would be subjecting my car to 2 more ocean journeys, having the body/chassis taken apart at the factory, and being without it for at least an extra 3 months.

Originally Posted by allans
Why can't the factory just put the cars up on lifts and do the swaps ?
They could, it would be quick, and it makes more sense to me than partially disassembling affected cars and re-running them through the line. Just my $.02.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I share your confidence. My service manager insists that it's a plug and play operation and that they've done many engine swaps, not to mention all of the times they've had engines out of cars for more mundane service/repair issues. A 991 GT3 engine goes in and out of the car just like any other 911 engine and since the dealer isn't opening the thing up, any lack of familiarity with the internals isn't an issue. That's why we're getting complete new engines with all the ancillary pieces attached already. Personally, I feel more comfortable with just the engine being swapped out at the dealership in a day than I would be subjecting my car to 2 more ocean journeys, having the body/chassis taken apart at the factory, and being without it for at least an extra 3 months.
+1.

I just want the steps to start ASAP. Sooner dominoes start falling, sooner they all fall and we need up with our cars.

Countdown to Monday...
Old 04-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

I took the time to meet with the service manager and head mechanic at my dealership. They had a TT up on a lift and took me step by step as to what needed to be done. As Mike pointed out, they are not tearing apart the engine. Its one assembled unit remove and the other installed. They have done it many times. No big deal.

Personally, if Porsche stated all cars had to be shipped back to Germany for the replacement it would raise red flags for me. It would be an indication there is more going on then they are letting on.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree. If they will ship back the cars to Germany it's a deal breaker for me as well. The wait will be really long then and I'm tired if this uncertainty
Old 04-06-2014, 09:58 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I took the time to meet with the service manager and head mechanic at my dealership. They had a TT up on a lift and took me step by step as to what needed to be done. As Mike pointed out, they are not tearing apart the engine. Its one assembled unit remove and the other installed. They have done it many times. No big deal. Personally, if Porsche stated all cars had to be shipped back to Germany for the replacement it would raise red flags for me. It would be an indication there is more going on then they are letting on.
Agreed. I'm not waiting for them to shop the car to Germany and back.

I'm already nuts. That would be flat out certifiable.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:13 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was dealer talking to tech Friday.. He said it's easy. Put car on lift. Undo some bolts and the drive train with the engine comes down. -- Then un-screw the engine, dis-connect harnesses and Wa La.. its done.. In fact if its' only 4 hours or so, I might go in and help them.. Be fun..
No worries Gents.. -- Now just need a date..
Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 AM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in the UK the talk is that they would ship it to their main representative Dealer, the only one authorised to work on Carrera GTs to be clear.

I guess this would only be to "reassure" people that only the highest qualified technicians will be working on the swap. Although I agree with you, these things are plug and play if you change the whole engine. You just need to watch an episode on Discovery of "how they make it" to understand it. It's the same for all cars. Engines are built separately, sometimes at another factory altogether then brought in and "married" to body. Simples.

Quick Reply: Timing of Engine Swaps - Possible New Info