991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing of Engine Swaps - Possible New Info

Old 04-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

I have looked at the McLaren and made an offer on one a couple weeks ago. It was a 2012 with very low miles. They did not like my offer and did not counter but it was an offer that if they took; I would be crazy not to jump on it. I do not track my cars so not too much of a concern for me in regards to the wear and tear that you would experience. But in the end, all I want is my GT3... Actually, my Wife is would be ecstatic for all of this to end because she knows how consumed I am with my cars
Old 04-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Just got this from RT and if correct we are in for a long wait. The poster lives in Switzerland. This doesn't make any sense to me but if true many of us will not see our cars for MANY months. This may be a game changer for me.

Some news on engines, like I mentioned delivery of new engine will start next week BUT things will be slow as Porsche will pre-drive each engine and put about 1000km. So don't know how many engine tester they have and how long it will take maybe an extra day or two. For me looks like I will have my early May so too tight for Mugelo May 1-2, will see
Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Just got this from RT and if correct we are in for a long wait. The poster lives in Switzerland. This doesn't make any sense to me but if true many of us will not see our cars for MANY months. This may be a game changer for me.

Some news on engines, like I mentioned delivery of new engine will start next week BUT things will be slow as Porsche will pre-drive each engine and put about 1000km. So don't know how many engine tester they have and how long it will take maybe an extra day or two. For me looks like I will have my early May so too tight for Mugelo May 1-2, will see
Seems unlikely that Porsche would be putting that many miles on each car that belongs to an individual.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:09 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It doesn't make sense either because obviously some of the cars that were delivered have already been driven longer than that and will still be recalled. If driving a new engine for a 1,000 Km rules out future failures, they would not have changed engines on cars that have already been driven that much. Also, they would have to stick with the break in guidelines because some owners "go by the book" and would feel uneasy about their new engines being driven (probably) hard for testing. If my car won't be ready by or close to the end of May, I will have PCNA buy it back. I am preparing myself mentally.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:13 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
It doesn't make sense either because obviously some of the cars that were delivered have already been driven longer than that and will still be recalled. If driving a new engine for a 1,000 Km rules out future failures, they would not have changed engines on cars that have already been driven that much. Also, they would have to stick with the break in guidelines because some owners "go by the book" and would feel uneasy about their new engines being driven (probably) hard for testing. If my car won't be ready by or close to the end of May, I will have PCNA buy it back. I am preparing myself mentally.
Agreed. I can't imagine running each and every engine for 1000km and according to the break in procedures (EU guidelines or US guidelines?).

If all this is true and it takes far longer than currently expected--it means that (once again) 2014s will arrive not much earlier than the cars that were pushed to 2015MY?

As difficult as it may be, I'm just going to stick to my "weekend before announcement" routine. Good food and some beer, while enjoying the CA weather with family. Hope everyone has a great weekend--and even better news come Monday...
Old 04-05-2014, 01:20 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
As difficult as it may be, I'm just going to stick to my "weekend before announcement" routine. Good food and some beer, while enjoying the CA weather with family. Hope everyone has a great weekend--and even better news come Monday...
I think this the best thing to do. I'm gonna try and do the same.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

It may be a language issue. He could have meant to say the first few will get tested. If that is the case, it means Porsche has only built a few new replacement engines for testing. Once they are satisfied the new engines will hold up then they could go into mass production.

But this doesn't make sense either. They must have tested the new engine before going into replacement mode. Very strange.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:31 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I think this the best thing to do. I'm gonna try and do the same.
Sounds good, Sam. I mean, at this point, how many of these "waiting period" weekends have we had? Must be a handful since early February by now!

Now that I think about it, wish I were in TX--some BBQ and ice cold beer would be perfect this weekend! Last time I was in HOU, I was seriously considering packing some moist brisket back on the plane with me...
Old 04-05-2014, 01:32 PM
0Q991
Drifting

It may be a language issue. He could have meant to say the first few will get tested. If that is the case, it means Porsche has only built a few new replacement engines for testing. Once they are satisfied the new engines will hold up then they could go into mass production. But this doesn't make sense either. They must have tested the new engine before going into replacement mode. Very strange.
I'm with you, Nick. Some missing details or slightly miscommunicated details changes the picture drastically...and still leaves more questions in their wake. We'll know soon.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:43 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Sounds good, Sam. I mean, at this point, how many of these "waiting period" weekends have we had? Must be a handful since early February by now!

Now that I think about it, wish I were in TX--some BBQ and ice cold beer would be perfect this weekend! Last time I was in HOU, I was seriously considering packing some moist brisket back on the plane with me...
Come on down to Houston, Tim! BBQ and beer surely beat worrying about engine swaps, compensation modes, etc. (at least for this weekend)!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

How do you "pre-drive" an engine? And "about" 1000KM? And to what end? To make sure they don't fail? I hope to hell they are confident about that already.

The whole thing sounds like total guesswork to me. Even if they planned to run in every engine on a dyno, which seems unlikely, it would only be a few hours for each to reach the magic 1000KM equivalent and they would no doubt have already been doing the run in for weeks so I don't see a delay in the offing.

Just more internet speculation. Not....going....to....overreact....
Old 04-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Seems unlikely that Porsche would be putting that many miles on each car that belongs to an individual.
If there is any truth to this (which I doubt), then running them on an engine dyno would make more sense...

Old 04-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Follow up post and clarification by poster;

correct pre drive on the bench for the one being replaced. remember the failure happened with car is less than 200km. I got this info yesterday from Porsche Switzerland. I had one of the first back in November and my is not schedule to be ready by end of this month. Anyhow when you take indemnity into account it is not a bad investment with a gross return of 43%. I had driven the car for 3700km before it got blocked so having an engine with 1000km does not bother me. Otherwise with new once and not delivered 2014, it could be annoying. I think Porsche is taking all precaution. My guess is that they won't do it for the 2015 model ie pre drive in the bench. I can tell you from my source, that the CEO Mueller has daily meeting on this topic. All owner will have a special code in Porsche system, can't remember which on but we will be flagged as highly priority and to take good care. Anyhow with my travels this month and Easter delaying by two weeks is fine for me it is a question of impatience. At the end nothing we can do to accelerate unless you ask your dealer to have a priority delivery. For fairness in Geneva we are about 20 with that issue and half are friends so delivery will be based on the original delivery date.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Follow up post and clarification by poster;

correct pre drive on the bench for the one being replaced. remember the failure happened with car is less than 200km. I got this info yesterday from Porsche Switzerland. I had one of the first back in November and my is not schedule to be ready by end of this month. Anyhow when you take indemnity into account it is not a bad investment with a gross return of 43%. I had driven the car for 3700km before it got blocked so having an engine with 1000km does not bother me. Otherwise with new once and not delivered 2014, it could be annoying. I think Porsche is taking all precaution. My guess is that they won't do it for the 2015 model ie pre drive in the bench. I can tell you from my source, that the CEO Mueller has daily meeting on this topic. All owner will have a special code in Porsche system, can't remember which on but we will be flagged as highly priority and to take good care. Anyhow with my travels this month and Easter delaying by two weeks is fine for me it is a question of impatience. At the end nothing we can do to accelerate unless you ask your dealer to have a priority delivery. For fairness in Geneva we are about 20 with that issue and half are friends so delivery will be based on the original delivery date.
This still sounds very unlikely to me. However, it would be nice to get official confirmation IF this is indeed true because it would change how I go about breaking in the new engine.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
This still sounds very unlikely to me
Agree. It would seem to me improbable that they would take the time to carefully build 785 replacement gt3 engines and then have each of these 785 motors dyno tested for 1000 hours before they leave the factory! How many dynamometers would they need to do that in Zuffenhausen? How much extra time would that take and add to the delay? It just doesn't make sense or even sound logical.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing of Engine Swaps - Possible New Info