Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autoweek/Andy Pilgrim 991 GT3 vs Z/28 at Barber Motorsport Park

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:04 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

I still can't believe I hear some of the fellows here talk about possibly being interested in the Camaro!

Seriously? Have any of you ever owned a Camaro or a Corvette? Both are the biggest pieces of sh*t you could ever own. I have owned multiple examples of both. Like an idiot I kept giving them a chance over the years. The most recent not long ago. Poorly assembled, very inexpensive manufacturing materials throughout and sloppy drivetrain feedback from your foot through the exhaust. So many rattles you don't have enough fingers to add them up with. GM has come a long way over the last decade but not far enough to even come close to anything engineered in Germany. There is a certain level of charm that comes from the huge amounts of torque and the outrageously loud factory exhaust but both wear off quickly. The Mustang while being a piece of sh*t as well is a better option than the Camaro and I don't even own a Saleen Mustang anymore.
I know this all sounds harsh but you couldn't pay me enough to drive one on a daily basis and this is coming from a guy who recently sold an Escapade and owns a mid 90's rear drive Impala as a 4th car. And if your excuse is it would be a fantastic track car there are many more options used for less money that would qualify for the bang for buck.

Sorry! Off rant now. Just can't believe my eyes sometimes.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:49 AM
speedoflight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the z/28 seems impressive. i just don't see myself paying $75 for it. maybe $35. i don't know why. the P koolaid is that good!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 AM
outline
Racer

It seems to me that theres a few cars appearing that are offering track day focus in a more substantial way. Its pleasing to see from a car enthusiasts perspective. As big a variety of flavours as possible for cars that are meant to be for "enthusiasts" or interested owners is a good thing.

Last edited by outline; 03-25-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Dude-
Pro

Wow, I left corvettes because the rear looks like a camaro and now we are comparing a camaro to a gt3. Totally different demographic in my opinion. If they wanted to show a bang for the buck angle they should have used an aventador. I don't want to disrespect anyone so I'll say that the camaro is a nice car........ No sorry I take it back. I'm not going to lie.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:54 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the topic of tire differences...
Anyone here have personal experience of Pilot Sport Cup 2 vs Trofeo R in the same size on the same car?
I do, on an RS 4.0.
I would not say that there is a significant difference between them.
Others' opinions may differ, of course.
Best, w
Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

What's the threadwear rating on the MPSC2?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I actually gave up on the article when i read the part about the GT3 being more difficult to drive. Perhaps the tires really made the difference on the camaro?

PDK with RWS.... harder to drive? gimmie a break. You can track the car while having a conversation on your bluetooth cell phone.

Alas, this is why i stick to chris harris reviews....
Guy I run with that has owns and drives Cup cars, RSRs, and Grand Am Camaros describes the Camaro as stupid fun and easy to drive and the Cup as something he always feels is trying to kill him. Has some lap records so no slouch.

I suspect Andy was just commenting on the inherent physics of the two platforms, with a little GM salary bias thrown in the mix. End of the day, there's only so much electronics can do to manage that lump hanging off the rear.

Originally Posted by wurlie
Anyone here have personal experience of Pilot Sport Cup 2 vs Trofeo R in the same size on the same car?
I do, on an RS 4.0.
Best, w
Wurlie: that holds true for prior MPSC2 but I believe the new one on the 991 GT3 is significantly revised; better wet weather performance, longer tread wear. Perhaps it gave up a little on the other end. Haven't had chance to try them myself.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:39 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good article. a comparo w/ the 997 gt3 would be interesting.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:43 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I actually gave up on the article when i read the part about the GT3 being more difficult to drive. Perhaps the tires really made the difference on the camaro?

PDK with RWS.... harder to drive? gimmie a break. You can track the car while having a conversation on your bluetooth cell phone.

Alas, this is why i stick to chris harris reviews....
Hater
Old 03-25-2014, 09:50 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wurlie
I do, on an RS 4.0.
Best, w
Do you have track experience with both? I’ve heard the Trofeo is a bit quicker on-track.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:51 AM
kaamacat
Racer

I've got a 2014 ZL1 now and will tell you that it is quite good out on the road and track. Even with the POS Goodyears on it. Considering the Z/28 sits a bit lower, is lighter...AND with the tires used to be deadly out there. (And the ZL1 already is all tracked-up as it is). BUT, the price......when you get into fit and finish that is where Porsche leaves GM in the dust.

Last edited by kaamacat; 03-25-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

There was no previous Pilot Sport Cup 2 - only Pilot Sport Cup.
Pilot Sport Cup 2 is one of the OEM tyres for 991 GT3 and has not been available in 19in dimensions esp for widebody 997s until very recently.
I drove them on track three weeks ago and have been told that I had one of the first complete sets in Europe for that application.

I experienced Trofeo R last year. I am not a good enough driver to be able to detect a significant difference over 4 heat cycles and about 270 track miles.

Best, w
Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Impressive to say the least.

Agree with the majority of you that there's no chance the automatic porsche is harder to drive than Manual camaro.

Too bad the camaro isn't say.... 40k.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:01 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Hater
I admit im somewhat of a hater
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2014, 12:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member