Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren to replace GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 11:06 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Nice car, I've tried to get in them several times, no chance of ever fitting properly.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Nice car, I've tried to get in them several times, no chance of ever fitting properly.
How tall are you? I am 6'5" and often have the same problem.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
Geez guys...thanks for boosting my morale today. This, on top of the fact that I seem to be the only person on planet Earth opposed to the new mandatory back-up camera law, I feel like putting a gun to my head.
See what Lobbying on Capital Hill can get you, I mean the company that will make most of those tiny backup cameras and the systems to go with them? A huge boost in orders and bottom line just as long as they can keep their expenses reigned in!

But, my Prius has a backup camera and I like it. I just wish I could use the damned thing all the time while I'm driving so I can use it as my primary rear view mirror.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:34 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
No such thing as free. But Parking sensors In General should be a standard feature.
I agree with this highly. Especially with mid engined cars that have tiny back windows. At least have the rear have damn sensors from the factory! The ones on the 599 I just got make life so much easier (especially in the front with the long *** hood).
Old 04-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Interesting - This resolves the single clutch issue. I need to look in to this bad-boy
Old 04-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=29764
Even the Maclaren chief has GT3.... But he can't drive it either
Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
How tall are you? I am 6'5" and often have the same problem.
6-5 also . . long torso . . . .very tough to fit....then try putting on a helmet..lol
Old 04-08-2014, 04:15 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

650s is so impressive, though I'm not sure if it would be up to an occasional track outing.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:32 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
650s is so impressive, though I'm not sure if it would be up to an occasional track outing.
From what I understand, it should be a real track monster for occasional use. Build quality seems really excellent.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Originally Posted by GrantG
From what I understand, it should be a real track monster for occasional use. Build quality seems really excellent.
Damn it, it's soooo tempting! (Help)
Old 04-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Interesting - This resolves the single clutch issue. I need to look in to this bad-boy
I ordered a new RWD MT Gallardo last year when it was confirmed the GT3 would be PDK only. Fantastic car - engine is just amazing, with tons of torque down low, 8,500 RPM redline, and a sound to die for. Shifter has long-ish throws compared to a Porsche short shifter, but it is like butter. Steering is not as precise as that in a Porsche, but I like that it is a bit heavier, and understeer is surprisingly absent. Good ride/handling tradeoff, even without electronically controlled dampers. All analog, just the way I like it. And, of course, it is great to look at, especially through the plexi at that engine (lit up when the doors open - nice touch). But it is not for tall people, especially with the one-piece buckets (like the Porsche sport buckets, they seem to be mounted higher - unlike the Porsche sport buckets, I found them very uncomfortable).

Only criticisms are the brake pedal is a bit long and squishy, the trunk is useless, and every once in a while you are reminded by little things that it is an old design - no remote release for said useless trunk, no cruise control, no traffic on the archaic nav system, the rear view camera in a new Civic I rode in last week was infinitely better, to name a few. Obviously the Huracan will address those issues and more - but with more weight, for more money, and no analog interface. No thanks.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Yeah, 911 is the ticket for the tall.
An F430 Scud fits bit also no manual.

Corvette probably needs seats bolted to the floor to fit.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fadi1
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=29764
Even the Maclaren chief has GT3.... But he can't drive it either
Yep, very interesting article over there at PistonHeads. I attached the text for those not wanting to hit the link:

MCLAREN VS PORSCHE
"The GT3 is one of the most impressive new cars I've driven" says thoughtful McLaren CEO

McLaren holds the Porsche 991 GT3 in such high esteem the company has actually bought one - and that's boding very well for the handling of its new, junior supercar due next year. Though yes, McLaren has had to give it back to get its engine replaced!

Mike Flewitt: very impressed with the GT3"The GT3 is one of the most impressive new cars I've driven. I was genuinely astonished at how accomplished that car is," McLaren CEO Mike Flewitt told PistonHeads.

We all like to think that that McLaren's battle is with Ferrari, but the boss revealed it's actually Porsche that McLaren Automotive's business is more closely aimed at, and from whom it is stealing the most customers. "Porsche is the brand we have the most conquests from. People who know and understand Porsche can relate to what we do in terms of technology," Flewitt told us. "We're less of a fashion statement than Ferrari and Lamborghini."

He told us the new car, known internally as P13, will cost around £120,000 and will essentially be a slightly less techy version of the 650S, using the a modified version of that car's 75kg carbon fibre tub. It won't be a 2+2, he said, but what it will be is more practical. "It's more usable, it's more affordable, it's still an actual sports car," he said. We can expect a version of the firm's 3.8-litre V8 to power it.

'Baby' McLaren P13 poised to bag Porsche fansThere have been rumblings in the Porsche section of the PH forums from GT3 owners and potential buyers hit by the recall that a secondhand McLaren 12C could be a good alternative, particularly as they're now as low as £120,000.

With the new P13 expected to take a bow at the Geneva motor show next year, the delay in replacing the GT3 engine could play right into McLaren's hands, especially if it's even 70-80 per cent as good as the phenomenal 650S updating of the 12C.

Flewitt is full of sympathy for Porsche over the recall. "It can happen to anyone," he said. "Modern cars are so complex there isn't a car company in the world that hasn't recalled cars for something."

It looks likely the P13 will beat the GT3's DIN weight of 1,430kg, especially with that carbon tub, even if it won't beat it on price at the boss's prediction of £120,000 against £100,540. But what a shootout that'll be, especially with the GT3 coming back stronger and in fighting mood.

I find a few of his statements very telling. If you read between the lines of many articles in the press concerning the McLaren P13, 458 Speciale, Z28, and a few others it sounds like the day of the 'Track Car' is arriving.

But I have to wonder with all the rumors of the P13 being powered by a "towned-down" version of the TT 3.8L V8 from the 650S/12C to around 500hp - how on earth can McLaren compete with the GT3 that has a NA 3.8L with nearly 500hp? Weight is rumored to be about the same as the 991 GT3. And one could make a great argument that the 991 GT3 already is a direct competitor to the now cancelled 12C. GT3RS vs. 650S? Hmm...

What engine would ultimately hold up better for track day duty: the GT3's engine, or the TT Ricardo engine found in the 650S/12C? One engine uses a couple of turbos to reach 500hp, the other doesn't. Does that somehow show more engineering know-how on Porsche's part, or a need/desire for more 'efficiency' on McLaren's part?
Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
But I have to wonder with all the rumors of the P13 being powered by a "towned-down" version of the TT 3.8L V8 from the 650S/12C to around 500hp - how on earth can McLaren compete with the GT3 that has a NA 3.8L with nearly 500hp? Weight is rumored to be about the same as the 991 GT3. And one could make a great argument that the 991 GT3 already is a direct competitor to the now cancelled 12C. GT3RS vs. 650S? Hmm...

What engine would ultimately hold up better for track day duty: the GT3's engine, or the TT Ricardo engine found in the 650S/12C? One engine uses a couple of turbos to reach 500hp, the other doesn't. Does that somehow show more engineering know-how on Porsche's part, or a need/desire for more 'efficiency' on McLaren's part?
How do you arrive at the conclusion that a 3.8L TT V-8 making about the same horsepower as the GT3's n/a F-6 would have trouble competing? Even if you stipulate that the cars have equal weight (I expect that the P13 should be lighter, as it's built on a shortened version of the 650S carbon monocoque chassis), it will clearly have far more torque than the GT3. But even if that wasn't true, it seems to me that it would be a very fair fight.

If you give all the benefits of the doubt to the P13, then I see:

1. ~500hp for P13 vs. 475hp for GT3 - and simple software change for more boost could add much more hp and tq.
2. Over 425 ft-lbs for the P13 beginning at far lower rpm (my guess with turbos) vs. 325 ft-lbs for the GT3
3. Potentially Lighter weight for the P13
4. Stiffer chassis for the P13
5. V8 motor designed for ~750hp in the P1 should be overbuilt.
6. With equal displacement of 3.8L, advantage to the V8 over F6 in terms of cylinder size, stress on components (each piston and valve is way lighter and more efficient combustion in smaller cylinder) - should be able to rev higher or rev same with less stress (not that this is necessary with turbos - but would allow a very nice normally aspirated version with ~500hp if they decided to go that direction).

Just playing devil's advocate - I have no horse in this race...
Old 04-09-2014, 03:35 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche should make a 4.0 F8!

Quick Reply: McLaren to replace GT3?