Originally Posted by lumber
Mp4 is nothing like a gtr
This.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
having sat in the passenger seat, Ive noticed turbo lag, certianly more than the TTS.
Also disagree on the turbo lag. It is much less noticeable on the mclaren than the porsche 911TTS.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lumber
"Your description reminds me of how I felt about the GT-R."

Mp4 is nothing like a gtr, which could possibly be the most boring (fast) car made.
Agree. I feel much more connected to the MP4 than GTR.

A used MP4 is the only real option for me if I decide not to accept my ordered GT3.

However, I was planning on DD my 991 GT3 a fair amount, which I just cant see doing in the MP4.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree. I feel much more connected to the MP4 than GTR.

A used MP4 is the only real option for me if I decide not to accept my ordered GT3.

However, I was planning on DD my 991 GT3 a fair amount, which I just cant see doing in the MP4.
I would think the Macca a better DD than the GT3.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie140
I would think the Macca a better DD than the GT3.
Why?

MP4 is more of an event car, with doing a hurdle over the carbon tub to get in and the gullwing doors, better suited to red carpet events and cars&coffee

MP4 sits about as low to the ground as GT3

And MP4 is still more expensive and more prone to depreciate.

So the 991 GT3 would be a better daily driver IMHO.

However, MP4 might beat the 996 GT3 as a daily driver.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:08 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Yes, I've seen some higher mileage (6-7K - still nothing) cars listed at $180K-190K with $260-270K MSRPs. I imagine they would sell in low $160Ks if not lower. Very tempting. I am not sure about the maintenance costs, as I'm planning to keep the car for a while. Otherwise, I would have jumped on it already.
I suspect the maintenance cost of the McLaren will make Ferrari maintenance seem reasonable. Porsche cost of ownership is dirt cheap compared to either.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:43 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

One problem with McLaren is service. Not many outlets.

Also, as has been pointed out, depreciation is significant.

Finally, personally I don't find the car all that attractive. It has a cartoonist look to it.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

^^my concerns exactly. No dealer here.^^
Old 03-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Claudef2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone is considering buying a MacLaren to replace the GT3, I strongly suggest a long test drive.

I considered an MP4-12C before ordering the GT3 and rented one for 24 hours from Club Sportiva in San Jose, CA. I found the car to be a lot of fun to drive and I would consider it suitable for a daily driver. Yet I had two major concerns: one was the noise inside the cabin. After 250 miles my head was a pumpkin and there was no way I would consider a drive from San Jose to LA and back in a MacLaren as I have done so many times with my 997 GT3 (and once in the 991 GT3). The other quite frankly is that the car attracts too much attention in town and on the highway. The GT3 looks like so many Porsches so fewer people notice it. It is obviously a matter of personal preference.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:07 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

Interesting, that is a pretty good test drive? Did you take a coupe or spider? I assume there is some difference. The engine does sit much closer to the driver seat is that what caused the cabin noise?

As far as service, having a service center is key. But I'm not sure it's outrageously 3 to 4 times the cost of porsche service. Maybe two to three times. And the intervals are long enough that it seems to amount to a couple of thousand more a year.

Problem is non dealer repair shops. Finding one that could service it after the warranty seems hard.

Jeff
Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Claudef2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rented a coupe. The amount of noise can be selected electronically; I had everything on the lowest possible setting. My issue was the low frequency rumbling. It sounds really cool at first, but after a while it was extremely tiring.

The drive was about ⅓ highways, ⅓ twisty back roads and ⅓ local and city streets. The car was quite civilized at low speeds in traffic, hence my comment that I could imagine it be a daily driver.

I do not know about maintenance cost.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first car I ever owned, an 88 Chevy Corsica 4 Cylinder, would take so much out of you physically and mentally. I would literally feel fatigue on the front of my forehead after a good day of driving around LA and Orange county. Never knew a car could do that to you - car was such a Piece of StIh though I never had problems with it though it was a former rental car. My parents used it as a Trade-in on a new car, got $1,700 back in 94, had barely over 100K miles on it. Saw the car in the ads and they put a price of $6,995 on it. Then about a year later I saw a lady getting out of it at a Pharmacy in North Long Beach. I told her the entire story of what we got for it. And the funny thing was is they never fixed the back fire on it. If you needed to put the pedal to the metal, putt putt putt.

Man that car was so uncomfortable. I just can't believe all the garbage that comes out of USA or what motivates the Big 3 to put out such garbage. Crap that no one wants, they have to discount greatly - as a result they have turned more or less into Finance Institutions.

Sorry for going way off topic

/End rambling. Heh you should hear me in the manager's meetings when someone starts up on improving current ITSM practices - wish everyone was a synthetic soulless robot like David from Prometheus...
Old 03-30-2014, 07:20 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Claudef2
I rented a coupe. The amount of noise can be selected electronically; I had everything on the lowest possible setting. My issue was the low frequency rumbling. It sounds really cool at first, but after a while it was extremely tiring. The drive was about ⅓ highways, ⅓ twisty back roads and ⅓ local and city streets. The car was quite civilized at low speeds in traffic, hence my comment that I could imagine it be a daily driver. I do not know about maintenance cost.
Good to know.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:08 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I thought about a MP412C after I sensed I wouldn't be able to get an allocation that easily for a 991GT3 (maybe things have changed nowadays). The alternative would be a 991TTS, but for that price, a used Mac starts making a lot of sense. However, I need a DD, and I drive about 10K miles/yr. I have not yet heard of Mac's with, say, 30K to 40K miles on it, so I am not sure how reliable they really are for that type of use. My last C4S gave me 0 issues in 40K miles, and my current 997.2TT seems to be on the same path. Perhaps if I learn that these cars can get around with no issues in the same way as Porsches, I would seriously consider one for my next DD, even though I agree with previous comments that Porsches are more stealth, so this would be a point to consider for me. Thanks for the comment on cabin noise, another point to consider.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a Porsche dealer 7 miles from my house. Another is only 25 miles away. The nearest McLaren dealer is almost 400 miles away. Nuff said.

Quick Reply: McLaren to replace GT3?