Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren to replace GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 03:43 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many can p12s can they build? What's the U.S. allocation? If the P1 is really faster than 918 on the ring, then McLaren really has the edge. Why do car companies like McLaren and even Nissan take such close aim at Porsche? Why do they build cars just to compete with Porsches? Because it's our money they are all after. We are nuts to spend as much time and money on our cars. But there's no substitute.

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
See what Lobbying on Capital Hill can get you, I mean the company that will make most of those tiny backup cameras and the systems to go with them? A huge boost in orders and bottom line just as long as they can keep their expenses reigned in!

But, my Prius has a backup camera and I like it. I just wish I could use the damned thing all the time while I'm driving so I can use it as my primary rear view mirror.
As an aside, for full time back up camera (while driving), get the Tesla Model S with tech package and the backup camera and parking sensors. Great car.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

With a manual
Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

It's crazy. There has been a run on mclarens. Cars that have been sitting around are getting snatched up so dealers aren't moving as much on orice because they are driving it back up.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Bruce P
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That's not what I am seeing. Several cars less than $190K still available and been sitting for several weeks/months. No less than 2 spiders had their price dropped today by $10K. The rollout of the 650s will increase the used supply of MP4's. On Mclarenlife a person just bought a 2012 with 3K miles for $172900.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:10 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by GrantG
How do you arrive at the conclusion that a 3.8L TT V-8 making about the same horsepower as the GT3's n/a F-6 would have trouble competing? Even if you stipulate that the cars have equal weight (I expect that the P13 should be lighter, as it's built on a shortened version of the 650S carbon monocoque chassis), it will clearly have far more torque than the GT3. But even if that wasn't true, it seems to me that it would be a very fair fight.

If you give all the benefits of the doubt to the P13, then I see:

1. ~500hp for P13 vs. 475hp for GT3 - and simple software change for more boost could add much more hp and tq.
2. Over 425 ft-lbs for the P13 beginning at far lower rpm (my guess with turbos) vs. 325 ft-lbs for the GT3
3. Potentially Lighter weight for the P13
4. Stiffer chassis for the P13
5. V8 motor designed for ~750hp in the P1 should be overbuilt.
6. With equal displacement of 3.8L, advantage to the V8 over F6 in terms of cylinder size, stress on components (each piston and valve is way lighter and more efficient combustion in smaller cylinder) - should be able to rev higher or rev same with less stress (not that this is necessary with turbos - but would allow a very nice normally aspirated version with ~500hp if they decided to go that direction).

Just playing devil's advocate - I have no horse in this race...
All very valid points, and I agree with you on all of them. I wish I had worded my post differently... I meant to turn the discussion (hopefully with the help of the true track rats around here) in the direction of which type of engine gives the owner a few of the following things:

1.) Reliability
2.) Emotion
3.) NA vs. Turbo - throttle response, high(er) rpm's, sound vs. more torque, better mpg's, turbo lag, etc... Which engine, NA or Turbo, sheds heat better?

It would be great if McLaren & Ricardo developed a NA version of their V8 for the P13. But I think pigs will fly before that happens.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:49 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce P
That's not what I am seeing. Several cars less than $190K still available and been sitting for several weeks/months. No less than 2 spiders had their price dropped today by $10K. The rollout of the 650s will increase the used supply of MP4's. On Mclarenlife a person just bought a 2012 with 3K miles for $172900.
Lovely cars. Just as a point of reference, a 2012 12C just sold last week for $178.5k. It had less than 300 miles on it.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:27 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by irish guitar
Lovely cars. Just as a point of reference, a 2012 12C just sold last week for $178.5k. It had less than 300 miles on it.
That's impressive and exactly what I've been looking for. I've been following th thread on the 172.5k car. Sounds like a steal, but I've been searching for a car from a dealer so I can get the extended warranty and do the upgrades. The extended warranty is only available through a selling dealer. I've gone to several dealers and found that you have to definitely see the car, a lot of the preowned ones I saw had bad swirl marks so I've been looking for one that is really like new.

Where was the one with 300 miles on it? I've extended a few offers from 185k to 190k and they all passed. Seem to be waiting for 200k

Jeff
Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
That's impressive and exactly what I've been looking for. I've been following th thread on the 172.5k car. Sounds like a steal, but I've been searching for a car from a dealer so I can get the extended warranty and do the upgrades. The extended warranty is only available through a selling dealer. I've gone to several dealers and found that you have to definitely see the car, a lot of the preowned ones I saw had bad swirl marks so I've been looking for one that is really like new.

Where was the one with 300 miles on it? I've extended a few offers from 185k to 190k and they all passed. Seem to be waiting for 200k

Jeff
It was here: http://www.fantasyjunction.com/

They had it listed for a long while at $190-something. I can't remember, exactly, sorry. I checked back on it occasionally, and as soon as they lowered to $178.5k it was snapped up. You can find pictures and details in their 'sold cars' listings. Car was as-new. Great buy for someone.

Vivian.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:00 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Thanks Vivian.

Didn't even know about that site, very cool. The car is actually a fairly base car for whats out there, so $178.5K seems right. There definitely is a slight premium being paid for really, almost new, cars.

Great site!

Jeff
Old 04-10-2014, 02:41 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
All very valid points, and I agree with you on all of them. I wish I had worded my post differently... I meant to turn the discussion (hopefully with the help of the true track rats around here) in the direction of which type of engine gives the owner a few of the following things:

1.) Reliability
2.) Emotion
3.) NA vs. Turbo - throttle response, high(er) rpm's, sound vs. more torque, better mpg's, turbo lag, etc... Which engine, NA or Turbo, sheds heat better?

It would be great if McLaren & Ricardo developed a NA version of their V8 for the P13. But I think pigs will fly before that happens.
Ok - I get it. Yes, I think the GT3 could be the more emotional of the two with better throttle response (which allows one to drive right on the edge more easily). On the McLaren forums, they are quoting McLaren execs that are saying the next release will offer zero throttle lag which is causing some to speculate that the P13 will either be normally aspirated or have some of the P1-style electric motors used for "torque-fill". There is also the possibility of a V-6. Could be interesting...
Old 04-10-2014, 05:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Another new 650S review:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/10/2...-review-video/
Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I think you will also start seeing tri-turbos in the not so distant future. I heard this would eliminate any turbo lag. Also heard Porsche has been toying with this
Old 04-11-2014, 12:20 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Yep. Heard the McLaren V6 (Turbo) rumor myself. Also 458 replacement going turbo, 991 GT3 being the last NA version, 911 hybrid for next gen model, heck...hybrid or turbo everything from Porsche & McLaren. Mercedes execs being 'told' by regulators to minimize displacement/go turbo/go hybrid or risk having all future cars limited on power output. The list goes on... Makes me puke thinking about said politicians burning hundreds of millions of gallons of jet fuel per year to promote/regulate 'climate change' or other such drivel.

I just hope car makers don't forget that the heart & soul of every sports car is the engine. Love turbo and NA engines equally. They both have their pros/cons .

In my book; biggest mystery in the car world right now is why some manufacturers are beginning to push the eco/environmental/CO2 mantra almost to the point of the draconian US & EU laws - and other manufacturers are embracing (in some cases) large diplacement NA engines.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:29 AM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I test drove the 12c. Just my opinion. I am 6 feet 2 inches. Hard for me to get in and out of the car without hitting my head. Car is fast but the shift time between first and second there is a lag. Unlike my 458 Ferrari which has no lag time. Handles great, like the independent suspension. Air brake is very cool except when it happens the first time and you can't see out of the rear view mirror.

For me, I am passing. It was just too much trouble getting in and out of the car.

As far as the GT3 which is on the production floor since 2/14 at V270 with no engine in it, PNA told me today when I spoke with them that my car is expected to be completed on 4/15. I questioned how is that possible when the letter from Tim Quinn said new engines will be produced starting the week of 4/22. The response was "we show your car will be done on 4/15". I then asked will the defective engine be put in it as there will be no new engines until 4/22, the response was "that could happen that you get the defective engine and your dealer will have to replace it".

If this illogical event occurs (defective engine put in and dealer fixes it with a replacement engine) I will become the ANTI Porsche Ambassador forever.

I have sent a email to Tim Quinn to clarify what is planned for my car. I will post his response if I get one.

I will keep the group posted.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:49 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

^^^

I have been trying to keep up on both the stop sale & compensation threads here in the GT3 section, but due to time I have maybe read through 80-90% of them.

I would have posted many times in each thread, but words simply fail me when trying to relay my thoughts & feelings to all those involved. If this had happened 3 years from now, I most likely would be in like company. Needless to say, as a possible future buyer of a GT, 960 and any Porsche model - I am definitely keeping a close eye on how this ultimately pans out for all of you. Porsche better be thinking about how they treat current GT3 owners, and how it will weigh heavily on the buying decisions made by possible future owners.

I'll be there, lurking in the background, reading your posts...

Quick Reply: McLaren to replace GT3?