Sponsored by:

Warning about loaners

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Warning about loaners

If your dealer is like mine, when you sign the agreement to take a loaner it holds you responsible for collision coverage. Your own insurance company would cover for collision under the non owned automobile coverage. I also believe the dealer has back up coverages as well.

What you need to be aware of is non owned auto coverage is only good for 30 days under most policies. After that it is considered a regular use vehicle which you must buy coverage for otherwise they will decline coverage.

A couple ways one go with this. Turn the car in before 30 days and get another or buy short term coverage on the loaner. I believe there is an insurable interest since you are responsible for the car and will be able to get insurance on it but need to check with your carrier.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:26 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Seems like that in any case. Everytime I get a loaner from Porsche they want my car insurance carrier id no. Mike
Old 03-22-2014, 09:29 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna be state dependent and need to look into whether it's 30 days of continuous use or 30 days aggregate for a specific vehicle.

But thanks for the heads up.

--------------------

On a related note, here in TX, damage to rental cars actually falls under general liability with no deductible rather than collision/comp. I found this out when my Hertz rental was damaged while I had possession. Ins company covered $1500 in damage with nothing out of pocket for me.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Gonna be state dependent and need to look into whether it's 30 days of continuous use or 30 days aggregate for a specific vehicle.

But thanks for the heads up.

--------------------

On a related note, here in TX, damage to rental cars actually falls under general liability with no deductible rather than collision/comp. I found this out when my Hertz rental was damaged while I had possession. Ins company covered $1500 in damage with nothing out of pocket for me.
Interesting!

My policy says if the vehicle is leased or rented for 30 days it is considered furnished for regular use and not covered beyond that period. I would claim that the car is neither rented or leased but I can see their point. They would be insuring a vehicle beyond 30 days without receiving a premium. I recommend flushing this out with your carrier.

Don't need to engage in a fight with an insurance company if we are rear ended.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I talked to my insurance carrier today. They confirmed that both Maryland (where I live) and Georgia (where the agent lived) were "30 day" states. I'm in the boat that my GT3 has been in Rhode Island since mid-February and I received a loaner (2014 C2) on March 7th. Since, based on traffic on this list, I don't think I'll be receiving my car much before June, I took the conservative approach. I added my loaner car to my insurance policy (I'd sold my prior car, a 2009 C4S the "day" my GT3 arrived in Rhode Island). I insured it as my daily driver and our 3rd car. This peace of mind only cost me about $100/month...

Scott
Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 PM
JB991
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

For those that never physically had a GT3 in your hands, did your dealer or PCNA contact you to see if you wanted a loaner, or did you ask on your own?
Does accepting a loaner also lock you into buying the GT3 regardless, or can you still walk if you're not happy with the end result when all of this is settled?

I've had minimal contact with my dealer at best. He has yet to make any contact with me if I don't initiate the conversation, and even then he won't provide any answers in writing. I've been told that I should be lucky to have had an allocation, and should be happy with what I have (or don't have). PCNA has called twice since Feb 11, the date my car arrived in the US. Kinda frustrating, but as I've recently read on here, it's not a dealer a lot of you guys seem to be happy with/about.
I'm junior to the Porsche purchases, as this is my second Porsche, but also the second over the course of two years.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:32 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

So my dealer called me on Friday to switch my C2S coupe to brand new C2S Cab. So does the 30 day rule get reset with the new car?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
So my dealer called me on Friday to switch my C2S coupe to brand new C2S Cab. So does the 30 day rule get reset with the new car?
To be safe, check with your insurance company.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

For those that never physically had a GT3 in your hands, did your dealer or PCNA contact you to see if you wanted a loaner, or did you ask on your own?
Does accepting a loaner also lock you into buying the GT3 regardless, or can you still walk if you're not happy with the end result when all of this is settled?
I just received a call from the sales manager at my dealership - he contacted me. We did not discuss the outcome if I were to decline the GT3 once it arrives. I assume that they'd deduct a fee, for the loaner, out of the deposit they have on the GT3 (10%).

I was at the dealership yesterday and asked if they knew if the engine swap was going to be done locally or up at the port (Rhode Island is where my GT3 is sitting). He didn't know but says he's campaigning heavily to get the car moved here. I'd prefer that, too. I've been completely happy with the service department. My 2009 C4S had all of the maintenance and repair done in his service department. And, with 107,000 miles when I sold it, that was quite a few visits (every 10k miles plus a couple of repairs).

Scott
Old 03-26-2014, 12:34 AM
991RDC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you that have decided to take the loaner car. I asked Ian Moon if that would influence a deduct from the compensation package and he responded, yes.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991RDC
For those of you that have decided to take the loaner car. I asked Ian Moon if that would influence a deduct from the compensation package and he responded, yes.
Good to know. I am taking my car back.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:45 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 991RDC
I got a different answer.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:49 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Ya, I'm taking mine back too...had my R8 shipped back from Miami to be able to do it lol. What a pain in the ***.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I got a different answer.
Sam, what did they tell you?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick