Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys have to see this.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:13 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

It looks like the engine swap is going to happen just like I've predicted : disconnect everything from the top and bottom,engine and transmission mounts and drop the whole drivetrain as an assembly,rather than deal with bell housing bolts inside the car.
Once on the bench,it's much easier to disconnect bell housing bolts and swap the new engine in as a complete assembly : alternator,intake etc.
When the drivetrain is put back together,marry it with the chassis just like they do it in the factory.

I estimate 7-8 hours of real work,including lunch break.
Honestly,you won't even know someone was in there.... Of course,as long as they've figured out the engine at the factory...
Old 03-23-2014, 01:22 AM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kosmo
Why does p continue to use a center muffler?
It's handy for the sport exhaust mode. The vacuum cutouts bypass the side mufflers and continue to use the center muff.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:31 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good post, OP.

Substantive and non-pessimistic, non-speculative posts have been rare lately so kudos to you.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:43 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
It looks like the engine swap is going to happen just like I've predicted : disconnect everything from the top and bottom,engine and transmission mounts and drop the whole drivetrain as an assembly,rather than deal with bell housing bolts inside the car. Once on the bench,it's much easier to disconnect bell housing bolts and swap the new engine in as a complete assembly : alternator,intake etc. When the drivetrain is put back together,marry it with the chassis just like they do it in the factory. I estimate 7-8 hours of real work,including lunch break. Honestly,you won't even know someone was in there.... Of course,as long as they've figured out the engine at the factory...
If it's as has been suggested--that cars at port will have the swap performed at the port--any educated guesses about who will be performing the swap? Would PAG send a team of techs to handle it? In the US, it's just 3 port facilities (East Coast, Houston, San Diego)?
Old 03-23-2014, 01:53 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 0Q991
If it's as has been suggested--that cars at port will have the swap performed at the port--any educated guesses about who will be performing the swap? Would PAG send a team of techs to handle it? In the US, it's just 3 port facilities (East Coast, Houston, San Diego)?
Tim,I'm sorry but I really have no idea.
I assume they'll have techs and equipment inside those facilities to perform such an operation.

Nick.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:59 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by neanicu
Tim,I'm sorry but I really have no idea. I assume they'll have techs and equipment inside those facilities to perform such an operation. Nick.
No worries, Nick. Just curious--as I am about this whole damn thing!

Just want to be able to fast toward to the future and put this mess in the rearview...
Old 03-23-2014, 02:11 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

No worries, Nick. Just curious--as I am about this whole damn thing! Just want to be able to fast toward to the future and put this mess in the rearview...
I understand Tim and I'm hoping you guys will get a resolution as fast and smooth as possible.
I don't want to get into the discussion about how one feels having an engine swap on a brand new car,depreciation or the compensation that needs to be included,but I can tell you that in the scenario you're facing,having an engine swap as a complete assembly is a decent operation that should go smoothly.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:00 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So still no one know what the hell this is in context of the engine swap. Just a bunch of WILD guesses of a picture of a GT3 taken apart with NO CONTEXT resulting in 100+ man hours of people reading, speculating posting about it..
Old 03-23-2014, 03:18 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't know how educated this guess is, but I'll go out on a limb and say that the cars will be shipped to individual dealers and the swaps done there if for no other reason than that the work will probably get done more quickly by spreading the cars around to a bunch of different locations. Hey, I've got at least a 50-50 chance of being right.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Fadi1
Pro

I was told by my dealer that the port facilities don't have lifts. So usually bigger jobs are handled by the dealership. Each dealership shop typically has at least on gold technician who is best to handle this kind of job
Old 03-23-2014, 09:26 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Don't know how educated this guess is, but I'll go out on a limb and say that the cars will be shipped to individual dealers and the swaps done there if for no other reason than that the work will probably get done more quickly by spreading the cars around to a bunch of different locations. Hey, I've got at least a 50-50 chance of being right.
Haha. Makes sense. 50-50 ain't bad.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Agreed, it looks much more refined!
and... there'd be coolant spewed all over the floor from a popped line. Oh, and an oil puddle from the RMS. That's assuming it wasn't a 4.0L and it swallowed its lunch first. Hey, he started it...

All in fun of course. I love the Mezger engine.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:07 AM
MyenShi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That's the impression I got from my dealer as well. The service manager has already spoken to Porsche at length about the swap (only one other GT3 here) and my rep mentioned shipping my car through.

No confirmation at this point and we could be wrong, but I have a feeling the VPC at the ports aren't equipped to do this and Porsche would prefer the procedure be done at dealers.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:16 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by MyenShi
That's the impression I got from my dealer as well. The service manager has already spoken to Porsche at length about the swap (only one other GT3 here) and my rep mentioned shipping my car through. No confirmation at this point and we could be wrong, but I have a feeling the VPC at the ports aren't equipped to do this and Porsche would prefer the procedure be done at dealers.
It would be great to do so SOON. Some cars have been sitting at port for 6 weeks!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:27 AM
MyenShi
Rennlist Member

It would be great to do so SOON. Some cars have been sitting at port for 6 weeks!
Funny. My car has been in San Diego since February 12... About 6 weeks.

I've been told the VPC there is covered but exposed on the sides. Better than nothing, but far from ideal. I would much rather she be shipped here; at least I'd know where she is and how she's being stored.

Going to need a very thorough detail.

Quick Reply: You guys have to see this.