Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This explains everything including why its taking so long on compensation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts
Default This explains everything including why its taking so long on compensation

Engine problem is "homemade" - not a supplier's issue according to german mag Wirtschaftswoche:

http://www.wiwo.de/unternehmen/auto/...n/9649612.html

Fabrication tolerances (as set by Porsche) not tight enough....
I tried to paste with my Google translator but it refusing to paste here.

There apparently are regulations regarding replacing engines and compensation when that happens. If someone can get the article to translate that would be great.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:22 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not as a supplier , but the Porsche production have worked with large tolerances and therefore caused the engine damage , learned the business week from Porsche circles. " The supplier is not at fault ," said a Porsche executives of the journal. The selected tolerances were set in a way that could solve under high load the rod bolts from Titan with the 475 -hp high-performance engine of the GT3 and the crankcase damaged . In two cases it was thereby come to fires.
Porsche is now not only all already delivered cars fitted with new engines , but also ensure that the owners through the exchange no disadvantages . The sports car manufacturer is negotiating with regulatory authorities on a regime that prevents the engine swap leads to an impairment. For example, the vehicle papers may be re-issued . In addition, damages in preparation, although they would be negotiated individually with the vehicle owners . In mid-February , the production of the 911 GT3 was stopped and has started a recall . Since then, the expensive cars are silent.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:26 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

That's pretty interesting.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:31 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Engine problem is "homemade" - not a supplier's issue according to german mag Wirtschaftswoche: http://www.wiwo.de/unternehmen/auto/...n/9649612.html Fabrication tolerances (as set by Porsche) not tight enough.... I tried to paste with my Google translator but it refusing to paste here. There apparently are regulations regarding replacing engines and compensation when that happens. If someone can get the article to translate that would be great.
Great find, Nick.

Also, I would assume that consumer protection as well as litigation culture vary from market to market, region to region...

I would imagine that in house counsel have likely been working as hard or harder than the engineers these last several weeks--in order to determine equitable packages for the various scenarios (the "stage" of owner, the market they reside in, regional Porsche management and their input on the impact of the packages on brand loyalty).

Would not be surprised at all that it results in different packages for each market. After all, to start with, there are different pricing structures and different standard warranty details in different markets. This will be a market by market solution.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:39 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

The only thing I'd be pissed about is if one person ends up getting something ridiculous like a fat check plus warranty and someone else ends up "hung out to dry" so to speak (e.g. well take the car back or fix it and give it to you...thats it). Not that I believe that would happen, but this whole "individual compensation package bit" is still a bit unnerving.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:45 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by sechsgang
The only thing I'd be pissed about is if one person ends up getting something ridiculous like a fat check plus warranty and someone else ends up "hung out to dry" so to speak (e.g. well take the car back or fix it and give it to you...thats it). Not that I believe that would happen, but this whole "individual compensation package bit" is still a bit unnerving.
I can see this happening in other markets, Sechsgang. In the US? I think it's going to be different formulas for each "group" of owners and that formula will likely be applied to each individual owner's situation to calculate the remedy.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Here is a scan of the translation; They could make all the cars with replaced engine 2015's.

Last edited by Nick; 08-15-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Jaypod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, wonder if they will de-tune the engine
Old 03-22-2014, 02:09 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jaypod
If they did I would get rid of the car so fast even Porsche's PR couldn't keep up...errr...wait...nevermind that's not that fast.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Jaypod
Instructor

Originally Posted by sechsgang
If they did I would get rid of the car so fast even Porsche's PR couldn't keep up...errr...wait...nevermind that's not that fast.
LOL
Old 03-22-2014, 02:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaypod
If I understand this correctly, the parts weren't over-stressed they were assembled with incorrect tolerances. Once the manufacturing spec is corrected there's no reason why the engine should be detuned.

BTW, nice find Nick. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:57 PM
green
Pro

My friend had an engine failure affecting his 997 GT3RS due to a human error manufacturing defect affecting the actuator bolts on the timing chain.
New engine was shipped from Germany.
If several more RSs had that problem and if fire ensued, the RSs would have been recalled the same way our cars did, Mezger engine and all.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Rennteam

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Great find, Nick.
Nick didn't 'find' this. It was posted in Rennteam and he is just re-posting it in this forum. They have some active members that are well connected & often post breaking news on the subject from Germany. There are many Rennlisters actively involved in that forum too. Suggest the rest of you monitor it every once in a while.

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html?vs=3#post16

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2014, 03:23 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z356
Nick didn't 'find' this. It was posted in Rennteam and he is just re-posting it in this forum. They have some active members that are well connected & often post breaking news on the subject from Germany. There are many Rennlisters actively involved in that forum too. Suggest the rest of you monitor it every once in a while. http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html?vs=3#post16 Saludos, Eduardo Carmel .
Thanks for the info, Eduardo.

Then, I'll reword--Thanks for posting this here, Nick. Appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:35 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Z356
Nick didn't 'find' this. It was posted in Rennteam and he is just re-posting it in this forum. They have some active members that are well connected & often post breaking news on the subject from Germany. There are many Rennlisters actively involved in that forum too. Suggest the rest of you monitor it every once in a while.

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html?vs=3#post16

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Eduardo, were you a Catholic grade school nun in a past life?

Quick Reply: This explains everything including why its taking so long on compensation