Sponsored by:

This explains everything including why its taking so long on compensation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Nick didn't 'find' this. It was posted in Rennteam and he is just re-posting it in this forum. They have some active members that are well connected & often post breaking news on the subject from Germany. There are many Rennlisters actively involved in that forum too. Suggest the rest of you monitor it every once in a while.

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html?vs=3#post16

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Eduardo I wasn't taking credit for anything. I posted the article. FWIW, the post on RT did not translate the article. I provided a scan of the translation.

I don't understand your obvious hostility. If you don't like the message of the article don't shoot the messenger.

Saludos,

Nicklas

La Jolla
Old 03-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Porsche997s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting... This has been my view the whole time. If it's a tolerance issue it would explain why only a few cars have failed. Most of the time there is a distribution of tolerances where only a small percentage of cars fall into a "bad " zone. The issue is that porsche does not know which cars are effected. Typically these kind of failures are what we in the business call infant mortality , it is not a wear out mechanism. I suspect for cars with high mileage that have not experienced a failure they never will.

Last edited by Porsche997s; 03-22-2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 03-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Dude-
Pro

Thanks for the info nick. Does this mean we now have the RS motor without the same flash and exhaust?.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Jaypod
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If I understand this correctly, the parts weren't over-stressed they were assembled with incorrect tolerances. Once the manufacturing spec is corrected there's no reason why the engine should be detuned.

BTW, nice find Nick. Thanks for posting.
Oh I get that, but if they broke, I would say they were over-stressed. Correct tolerances should hopefully be the fix, but my point was more based on does Porsche want to give themselves more of a buffer
Old 03-22-2014, 03:49 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
Thanks for the info nick. Does this mean we now have the RS motor without the same flash and exhaust?.
Interestingly, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple new parts in the motors...if anything they would be better off completely over designing the new motor and marketing it as the same than having something mess up again.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Eduardo, were you a Catholic grade school nun in a past life?
Yes, I was. But thanks to California taxpayers, I have undergone a very expensive operation that has made me (literarily) a new man!

Originally Posted by Nick
Eduardo I wasn't taking credit for anything. I posted the article. FWIW, the post on RT did not translate the article. I provided a scan of the translation.

I don't understand your obvious hostility. If you don't like the message of the article don't shoot the messenger.

Saludos,

Nicklas

La Jolla
Nick, I think you should have been giving Rennteam credit for MANY of your numerous 'breaking' stories here on Rennlist in the past months. That is all. If they did the heavy lifting, give them credit. As it is, Christian and many in his group don't think much of us, often calling us Rennlisters 'drama queens'. Does that ring a bell? I don't want to give Rennteam any further ammunition to criticize us.

Saludos,
Eduardo

PS Unfortunately, now I can't seem to hit the 'high notes' I used to when I was in the nun's singing group!

Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaypod
Oh I get that, but if they broke, I would say they were over-stressed. Correct tolerances should hopefully be the fix, but my point was more based on does Porsche want to give themselves more of a buffer
We don't know whether the fasteners broke, loosened, were stripped, whatever, but I understand your point. From all accounts Porsche has actually redesigned and is testing a new fastening arrangement for the connecting rod bolts, which is also why this is taking so long. The following is my speculation, but the reason they are doing that instead of simply narrowing the assembly tolerances for the existing fasteners is to achieve precisely what you suggest; to eliminate the need for such close tolerances, and give themselves a buffer without having to reduce the overall specification of the engine.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Eduardo, an article so important to all of us and all you can think of is to chastise the poster that failed to source what he posted. WTF! Get your head on straight and out of Porsche's rear end. I often give credit to other sites when appropriate. The article is a public record. Everything YOU post is sourced elsewhere. We can spend our entire day pointing to sources.

What you did was an obvious effort to detract from the message which is despite all your attempts to shield Porsche from criticism the facts now show Porsche made the mistake and hoping to extricate itself from the mess.

Look if you are going to act as an agent for Porsche ( your bias is overwhelming ) you should put that in your signature line. I don't know what role you play on RL but if you are a principal you should tell me.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Nick
Old 03-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Eduardo, an article so important to all of us and all you can think of is to chastise the poster that failed to source what he posted. WTF! Get your head on straight and out of Porsche's rear end. I often give credit to other sites when appropriate. The article is a public record. Everything YOU post is sourced elsewhere. We can spend our entire day pointing to sources.

What you did was an obvious effort to detract from the message which is despite all your attempts to shield Porsche from criticism the facts now show Porsche made the mistake and hoping to extricate itself from the mess.

Look if you are going to act as an agent for Porsche ( your bias is overwhelming ) you should put that in your signature line. I don't know what role you play on RL but if you are a principal you should tell me.
Nick:

I sourced this in the web just for you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Haha, good one Eduardo.

Now, both of you, go to your rooms.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:01 PM
outline
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
From all accounts Porsche has actually redesigned and is testing a new fastening arrangement for the connecting rod bolts, which is also why this is taking so long. The following is my speculation, but the reason they are doing that instead of simply narrowing the assembly tolerances for the existing fasteners is to achieve precisely what you suggest; to eliminate the need for such close tolerances, and give themselves a buffer without having to reduce the overall specification of the engine.
So have they cheapened right out and are no longer using Pankl parts and design experience on their rods leaving them to learn years worth of knowledge over night with predictable results?
A new fastening arrangement? Seriously? Junked the cost savings led glue gun approach and gone back to bolts?

Fwiw, tolerances can take many forms. Assembly tolerance I suppose however casts the warmest glow when one retires of an evening.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:02 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Z356
As it is, Christian and many in his group don't think much of us, often calling us Rennlisters 'drama queens'.
Huh. You write like we should care what RT thinks of RL. The **** to shine ratio is just as bad if not worse over there, and Christian's incessant posts about how awesomer his TTS is over the GT3 in a never ending, ginormous GT3 thread is ridiculous.

I have no axe to grind with you, Eduardo, or Christian at RT, or either board.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Nick, could care less about the source..the post was relevant and helpful. Thanks
Old 03-22-2014, 06:11 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Nick, could care less about the source..the post was relevant and helpful. Thanks
+1.

Quick Reply: This explains everything including why its taking so long on compensation