Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Back up camera (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/806233-back-up-camera.html)

mhh 03-21-2014 06:34 PM

Back up camera

I posted this over at PH but don't expect much interest as all they talk about now is compensation....

While I wait to get my car fixed, I'm thinking of asking my dealer to fit the reversing camera I see on the configurator for other 911s (and now Cayman/Boxster). Parking sensors are too hard but the camera should mount neatly between the licence plate lights.

Anyone else done this or thinking of it?

997TTMeteor 03-21-2014 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mhh (Post 11232824)
I posted this over at PH but don't expect much interest as all they talk about now is compensation....

While I wait to get my car fixed, I'm thinking of asking my dealer to fit the reversing camera I see on the configurator for other 911s (and now Cayman/Boxster). Parking sensors are too hard but the camera should mount neatly between the reversing lights.

Anyone else done this or thinking of it?

Yeah, I’m interested. Did you find out if it will work with our PCM?

mhh 03-21-2014 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor (Post 11232855)
Yeah, I’m interested. Did you find out if it will work with our PCM?

My dealer is confident it will - with some additional parts no doubt - as he knows aftermarket cameras being installed by a local shop can work with the latest PCM.

997TTMeteor 03-21-2014 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mhh (Post 11232862)
My dealer is confident it will - with some additional parts no doubt - as he knows aftermarket cameras being installed by a local shop can work with the latest PCM.

Cool - please keep us posted. Will be nice to have when using harness & Hans.

SamFromTX 03-21-2014 08:09 PM

Yes it can be done aftermarket but they will have to open the radio to get an adapter to accept the camera so it works through the OEM screen. Opening the radio unit will void its warranty. I will get mine done once the car is released.

mhh 03-21-2014 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an aftermarket camera install on a 991 GT3 done by the shop my dealer recommends.

I'm chasing a pic of the camera they are using.

Here's the story on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Autom...ation=timeline

We finally have the AIS rear view camera system for the 991 working flawlessly.
There were some software version differences discovered in the Porsche operating systems but we have now identified them all.
This is the picture on the screen of the new GT3.

sechsgang 03-21-2014 11:21 PM

holy crap...thats awesome.

mhh 03-28-2014 06:04 AM

Still chasing this. The dealer has sent the installer the wiring diagram for the 991 Turbo with optional camera to see if it will work. Meantime, I might check the other sections for more info.

Bacura 03-28-2014 10:44 AM

I am amazed any of you would do any aftermarket "electrical" work. Nick has posted about all his electrical issues. He had an aftermarket radar detector and camera installed. Maybe that wasn't the cause but maybe it was. If I was Porsche I would nullify the warranty with some of this aftermarket stuff. Go ahead and let some amateur dabble with your electronics. Any yes, compared to the Porsche engineers they are rank amateurs. I hope you have no issues but if you do don't complain. The 2015's will have back up camera's. Why wouldn't you wait for that? If it can't be retro fitted then so be it. I've had too many issues with aftermarket botch jobs to do it again. Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me. Just my 2 cents.

SamFromTX 03-28-2014 11:08 AM

I am getting mine installed today. And yes, Porsche will nullify my radio warranty. Will post pics later.

SamFromTX 03-28-2014 03:45 PM

Work in progress

2 Attachment(s)
Will post results tonight, whether working or not. Sorry for the sideway orientation.

Mike in CA 03-28-2014 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by SamFromTX (Post 11250892)
Will post results tonight, whether working or not. Sorry for the sideway orientation.

I certainly hope it's working, Sam! Looking forward to seeing the outcome. :thumbup:

Nick 03-28-2014 04:44 PM

Why is the camera located?

skuplist 03-28-2014 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bacura (Post 11250128)
I am amazed any of you would do any aftermarket "electrical" work. Nick has posted about all his electrical issues. He had an aftermarket radar detector and camera installed. Maybe that wasn't the cause but maybe it was. If I was Porsche I would nullify the warranty with some of this aftermarket stuff. Go ahead and let some amateur dabble with your electronics. Any yes, compared to the Porsche engineers they are rank amateurs. I hope you have no issues but if you do don't complain. The 2015's will have back up camera's. Why wouldn't you wait for that? If it can't be retro fitted then so be it. I've had too many issues with aftermarket botch jobs to do it again. Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me. Just my 2 cents.

How do you know that the 2015 will have back up cameras?

SPD YLO 03-28-2014 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by skuplist (Post 11251035)
How do you know that the 2015 will have back up cameras?

DOT

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...gain/index.htm