Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GT3 problems less than C7 Vette

Old 03-19-2014, 10:31 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default New GT3 problems less than C7 Vette

Please realize, I'm not bashing Corvettes. I've owned a half dozen.

But I thought it might be good to keep the GT3's problems in proper perspective.

I think Mike in CA mentioned two small GT3 problems so far, a thermostat and something else minor. And then of course the major problem with the engine failure.

The Corvette Forum thread for reporting issues with the new C7 has well over a dozen different problems listed. A number of them are clearly build quality related with paint and or fit and finish issues.

You would expect better overall quality control on an expensive Porsche versus a GM product. And all though not perfect, I guess I want to point out that Porsche owners are largely getting what they paid for.

GM's ignition switch problem and subsequent recall was swept under the rug for close to 10 years. If two Corvettes would have caught on fire due to engine problems, do you think they would be acknowledging the problem in 30 days and and agreeing to replace the motors on every C7 built so far? I strongly suspect GM would still be in the very early stages of denial.

Given the above, I prefer to look upon the replacement GT3 engines as a glass half full instead of half empty. I still have mine on order although the build date will be pushed back.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Do any of the C7 problems require a motor replacement?
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Not bashing Porsche, but I'd take paint, fit, and finish problems over an engine replacement ANY day. Just me.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

I would not say worse..

They've sold many thousands of Corvettes, but yes initial build quality on some cars makes you puke in your mouth. It's getting better...
Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 AM
john weires
Pro

I did not read every C7 repair post, just the first few pages out of many, so I don't know about any C7 engine replacements, nor have I heard of any.

Engine problems aren't unique to Porsche. I owned a new 2001 Z06 with the common problem of leaky rings that resulted in excessive oil consumption. As I recall GM ended up having to rebuild many of these engines with new pistons and rings. I ended up solving the problem, $20k later, by having Lingenfelter rebuild my engine. The 2001 Z06 never fully recovered from this stigma as the 2002 engine not only was redesigned to more completely solve the problem but also improved in horsepower.

Personally, I would rather have a pull out and plug in engine replacement than have to have body or paint work done due to poor quality control.

It took three attempts by the Chevy dealer before a Millenium Yellow re-paint would either stay stuck to my Z06 and or match the rest of the car.

Call me a slow learner, but despite these issues I bought a 2007 Vette afterwards, then switched to a 2009 C2S 911.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:36 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because someone else is worse is not an excuse for my bad.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:01 AM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

If I had c7 I'd set it on fire myself
Old 03-20-2014, 02:01 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Just because someone else is worse is not an excuse for my bad.

^^Tru dat^^
Old 03-20-2014, 11:27 AM
john weires
Pro

Perfection does not exist with things made by man.
Failures are to be expected with machines.
The question is to what degree.
Also what level of service is provided by the manufacturer to solve inevitable problems. But in my ownership experience, GM has more problems than Porsche. This doesn't make the C7 a bad car. I was merely pointing out
that it had more problems (so far) than the GT3.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by john weires
Please realize, I'm not bashing Corvettes. I've owned a half dozen.

But I thought it might be good to keep the GT3's problems in proper perspective.

I think Mike in CA mentioned two small GT3 problems so far, a thermostat and something else minor. And then of course the major problem with the engine failure.

The Corvette Forum thread for reporting issues with the new C7 has well over a dozen different problems listed. A number of them are clearly build quality related with paint and or fit and finish issues.

You would expect better overall quality control on an expensive Porsche versus a GM product. And all though not perfect, I guess I want to point out that Porsche owners are largely getting what they paid for.

GM's ignition switch problem and subsequent recall was swept under the rug for close to 10 years. If two Corvettes would have caught on fire due to engine problems, do you think they would be acknowledging the problem in 30 days and and agreeing to replace the motors on every C7 built so far? I strongly suspect GM would still be in the very early stages of denial.

Given the above, I prefer to look upon the replacement GT3 engines as a glass half full instead of half empty. I still have mine on order although the build date will be pushed back.
The late Rodney Dangerfield once said "IF you wanna look thin hang out with fat people."

whats your point here? As others have said "Just because someone else is worse is not an excuse for my bad. "

Also, how you know the GT3 does not or will not have other issues? How long has the C7 been out vs the Gt3? How big is your sampling pool?

BTW you missed a bunch of stuff on the C7 like diffs w/o enough fluid and Iphones burning up.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

OP, let me save you some time and energy.

Dont bother making observations such as these, because the majority of replies that you are going to get are from bitter gt3 hating enthusiasts.

Most gt3 owners (myself included) have stopped reading most posts because its become tiresome.

Rennlist is becoming the new 6speed...
Old 03-20-2014, 12:58 PM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread stirs up trouble. To be honest, I'd still buy either car, I like the C7 and the GT3.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

haha, like how the OP is comparing a $50k base car to a $130k base car. Yet the $130k base car has a dramatically more serious problem than some initial quality issues of the C7 that are very quickly getting ironed out.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:17 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Do any of the C7 problems require a motor replacement?
No, but it doesn't seem that Porsche's problem does either. From what we think we know, the repair could be done in the shop. Replacing the engine is simply a first class way to deal with the issue. I don't think we'd see the same from Chevy.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:26 PM
john weires
Pro

The point, as I mentioned in my original post, was to not to bash the C7 but to keep the GT3's problems in perspective. To some degree I was hoping that it would stop some of the gnashing of teeth over the GT3 issues.
But given some people distortion's of my remarks in their replies, I can see that I was way too optimistic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New GT3 problems less than C7 Vette