Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Who's Cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:49 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

I see what you are saying and I'd probably do the same thing. Keep in mind that TTs depreciate like crazy too and driving it for 6 months may also be expensive. Depending on the "compensation" that Porsche gives you on a GT3, it may be more depreciation with the TT...
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

No one knows the depreciation curve of Turbos better than me.

Ergo, the upfront discount.

You are absolutely correct though.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I bailed on mine. Why deal with it if you don't have to. If I already owned it I would try to get the dealer to take it back and let Porsche make the dealer whole. I doubt you will get 200 a day or any cash compensation. Then you have a car with stories. Pretty easy to take a 50k hit. Plus you have an '14 car that you can't use till the '15 are out. There are other cars.
Let's make a side bet on that......

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-20-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Hi Mike,

I've following with great interest the compensation discussion. The bullet points you mentioned would go a long way to rectifying the losses we've realized. I wouldn't be surprised if they upped the ante, if we are to believe the latest news that all pending builds will be 2015's. While that's great for the upcoming owners, and I'm happy for them, that's not so good for people like you and me. I'm afraid the 2014 class will now really be the dunces, with even further reduced value. A very small number of cars dwarfed by the enlarged pool of pristine cars, recognized as the year you don't want to own.

Now, without a doubt those cars are going to be discounted in the secondary market, which is great for new buyers. They get a great car at a good price. For people like us who hold on to their cars, we could join the fun if Porsche can spot us the difference between what we paid, and the new resale value. In that case, we may have accidentally fallen into a good deal. A car we were willing to pay $156,000 new is now discounted down to $xxx,xxx, and performs equal to the new nondiscounted 2015. If so, we win!

The problem is, we don't know several of the variables, and can't predict how it will end. I'm tempted to hang in there and roll the dice, but really want to get on with things, and would be just as happy with my money back, no harm, no foul, and get something else. I've been offered a 2015 GT3 allocation, and a good discount on a Turbo S coupe, and frankly, that's probably what I'm going to do. I've owned the last three generations of Turbos, and have now owned two GT3's and an RS, and while it's the GT3 I want now, driving a TTS for six months or so could be super fun. Different, but I could dig tooling around in a boulevard cruiser for a summer and fall.

One thing I think for certain, it's of value for us small number of actual owners to converse. We really are in a different situation than almost everyone else.

Best wishes.
All good points, and especially that last one. We do need to keep the lines of communication open. In the meantime, good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 228 Posts

When you guys are canceling does porsche NA even get involved to try and get you to keep your order?

I'm still debating on what to do, I don't need anything else so I was going to let me deposit sit. But a c4s cab would be nice for the spring...

Jeff
Old 03-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlee504
When you guys are canceling does porsche NA even get involved to try and get you to keep your order?

I'm still debating on what to do, I don't need anything else so I was going to let me deposit sit. But a c4s cab would be nice for the spring...

Jeff
No, they're agnostic, which I think is appropriate.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:29 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
I'd wait until this whole 9A1 engine stuff is fixed. Maybe a 2016
personally, i don't think it'll take another year or more to fix any perceived issues. there are no guarantees there will be a MY2016. historically, GT3s are made for 2 consecutive years.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504

Jeff
Nope. The dealer did all they could to convince me to take a 2015 GT3. I told them i'm done with the GT3, and the only way i'd consider an RS again is if I get a call from PCNA, explaining why I should continue to be loyal (or an apology). I haven't heard from my dealer since yesterday - I have a feeling they're trying to get PCNA to call me.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shizzle
Nope. The dealer did all they could to convince me to take a 2015 GT3. I told them i'm done with the GT3, and the only way i'd consider an RS again is if I get a call from PCNA, explaining why I should continue to be loyal (or an apology). I haven't heard from my dealer since yesterday - I have a feeling they're trying to get PCNA to call me.
I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:14 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
I wouldn't hold my breath.
i don't see it happening either!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:23 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

If they make all the undelivered ones 2015's they will find buyers for them readily enough.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:31 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
If they make all the undelivered ones 2015's they will find buyers for them readily enough.
It's not going to be that clear cut. All cars produced will remain 2014s, if the car has already started production (e.g. entered the body shop) it will be a 2014, a portion of the cars in pre-production (e.g. parts gathering) will be moved to MY2015.

Ryan
Old 03-21-2014, 01:05 PM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got out before this all started. The why is simple Porsche and its lack of information to its customers did it for me plus a dealer not willing to help either. There is a white used 991 GT3 with 650 miles on the odometer going for 15,000 over MSRP if any of you want to pay a premium for a car you can't drive and it only needs a new engine. Yes I know that dealer is crazy more like on drugs.....ok its Porsche of North Houston
Old 03-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by toplabels
I got out before this all started. The why is simple Porsche and its lack of information to its customers did it for me plus a dealer not willing to help either. There is a white used 991 GT3 with 650 miles on the odometer going for 15,000 over MSRP if any of you want to pay a premium for a car you can't drive and it only needs a new engine. Yes I know that dealer is crazy more like on drugs.....ok its Porsche of North Houston
You can't blame a guy for trying.

All it takes is one guy living under a rock with more money than brains.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:05 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Ive got a friend who has not stopped daily driving his gt3 since he bought it...

This time frame thing screws with my driving plans.

I just got off the phone with pcna.

She said its my car and they cant keep me from driving it. They can only recommend that I dont. If I drive, its at my own risk.

Game on.

Quick Reply: So Who's Cancelled?