Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Who's Cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh and by the way from my experience there is scarcely a person in the Porsche network that doesn't sympathize with our situation, and if you call any of the phone numbers or Porsche reps they will talk to you and they will try to put your mind at ease. Loaner cars with people that have deposits c'mon who does this....seriously un heard of
Old 03-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

It's just a car. And the same car in 2015 without the problems.

There will always be hot cars, several every year.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

No guarantee you will get a 2015.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

I'm sure that wont be a problem. Besides, still not a reason to keep a 2014. You're betting on a hypothetical Porsche compensation package to offset the hit you're going to take on a 2014. You don't actually think you're going to come out ahead do you?

Don't fall in love with cars or stocks, that's how bad financial decisions occur. The smart money moves on. There will always be cool cars.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 486 Posts

I fall in love with the stocks after I've sold them profitably...does that count?
Old 03-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

That counts.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:16 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
That counts.
Just checking!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:42 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just passed on a build allocation for a 2014, had my deposit in since 03-2013, will wait until the dust settles, and have moved on to the list for a 2015

Anybody looking fro a dedicated track weapon, BMW in avatar is for sale
Old 03-20-2014, 07:34 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyrek
I'm really starting to think giving up your GT3 would be a big mistake. Don't let your car go unless you have it in writing you will be getting a replacement. This is the baddest car you can buy for the money and just think you have one or are getting one.
I feel absolutely liberated. It's different for everyone. I don't think I'll regret as there's always something interesting coming up next and I began to think the GT3 was too much car for me as my first Porsche. Couple that with the uncertainty and it was an obvious decision for me. Hope to be able to secure a GT3 down the road...
Old 03-20-2014, 08:11 PM
pasd18
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moving on to the Turbo S, I'll give it a few years and re-think, MY2014 has to much drama.

Good luck to those staying on corse.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
I'm sure that wont be a problem. Besides, still not a reason to keep a 2014. You're betting on a hypothetical Porsche compensation package to offset the hit you're going to take on a 2014. You don't actually think you're going to come out ahead do you?
Bluehinder, since we're talking about betting on hypotheticals, have you officially been offered a buy back of your 2014 by Porsche? Will you be given full value for the car including any applicable sales taxes and fees? Will there be any depreciation for use to date? I honestly hope all that works out for you.

I realize everybody looks at this differently and that people who already own the car are in a different place than those with orders pending, but personally I fully expect to, if not come out ahead, at least be made whole. Again, we're talking hypothetically but based on what I've been reading and hearing, at minimum the following appears certain or very likely:
1. A new engine of the exact spec that will appear in 2015 cars
2. Compensation for loss of use on the order of $200/day which, by the time the car is repaired will almost certainly be in the range of $15K
3. An extended warranty
Additionally, the following should be a definite possibility and something I intend to pursue and subject to further negotiation:
4. A settlement of some kind for potential loss of value due to perceived issues with a 2014 car.

It seems quite possible to me that in 2 more months, not another year or so from now, I could be once again driving a completely up to date and 100% functional car with a longer warranty and an absolute minimum of $15K in my pocket ("free" sport buckets!).
Old 03-20-2014, 08:23 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I feel absolutely liberated. It's different for everyone. I don't think I'll regret as there's always something interesting coming up next and I began to think the GT3 was too much car for me as my first Porsche. Couple that with the uncertainty and it was an obvious decision for me. Hope to be able to secure a GT3 down the road...
I had a 2012 C2S and really liked it. I don't think you will be sorry.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:28 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

I bailed on mine. Why deal with it if you don't have to. If I already owned it I would try to get the dealer to take it back and let Porsche make the dealer whole. I doubt you will get 200 a day or any cash compensation. Then you have a car with stories. Pretty easy to take a 50k hit. Plus you have an '14 car that you can't use till the '15 are out. There are other cars.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:31 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd wait until this whole 9A1 engine stuff is fixed. Maybe a 2016
Old 03-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Bluehinder, since we're talking about betting on hypotheticals, have you officially been offered a buy back of your 2014 by Porsche? Will you be given full value for the car including any applicable sales taxes and fees? Will there be any depreciation for use to date? I honestly hope all that works out for you.

I realize everybody looks at this differently and that people who already own the car are in a different place than those with orders pending, but personally I fully expect to, if not come out ahead, at least be made whole. Again, we're talking hypothetically but based on what I've been reading and hearing, at minimum the following appears certain or very likely:
1. A new engine of the exact spec that will appear in 2015 cars
2. Compensation for loss of use on the order of $200/day which, by the time the car is repaired will almost certainly be in the range of $15K
3. An extended warranty
Additionally, the following should be a definite possibility and something I intend to pursue and subject to further negotiation:
4. A settlement of some kind for potential loss of value due to perceived issues with a 2014 car.

It seems quite possible to me that in 2 more months, not another year or so from now, I could be once again driving a completely up to date and 100% functional car with a longer warranty and an absolute minimum of $15K in my pocket ("free" sport buckets!).
Hi Mike,

I've following with great interest the compensation discussion. The bullet points you mentioned would go a long way to rectifying the losses we've realized. I wouldn't be surprised if they upped the ante, if we are to believe the latest news that all pending builds will be 2015's. While that's great for the upcoming owners, and I'm happy for them, that's not so good for people like you and me. I'm afraid the 2014 class will now really be the dunces, with even further reduced value. A very small number of cars dwarfed by the enlarged pool of pristine cars, recognized as the year you don't want to own.

Now, without a doubt those cars are going to be discounted in the secondary market, which is great for new buyers. They get a great car at a good price. For people like us who hold on to their cars, we could join the fun if Porsche can spot us the difference between what we paid, and the new resale value. In that case, we may have accidentally fallen into a good deal. A car we were willing to pay $156,000 new is now discounted down to $xxx,xxx, and performs equal to the new nondiscounted 2015. If so, we win!

The problem is, we don't know several of the variables, and can't predict how it will end. I'm tempted to hang in there and roll the dice, but really want to get on with things, and would be just as happy with my money back, no harm, no foul, and get something else. I've been offered a 2015 GT3 allocation, and a good discount on a Turbo S coupe, and frankly, that's probably what I'm going to do. I've owned the last three generations of Turbos, and have now owned two GT3's and an RS, and while it's the GT3 I want now, driving a TTS for six months or so could be super fun. Different, but I could dig tooling around in a boulevard cruiser for a summer and fall.

One thing I think for certain, it's of value for us small number of actual owners to converse. We really are in a different situation than almost everyone else.

Best wishes.

Quick Reply: So Who's Cancelled?