Sponsored by:

Owners who took delivery

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:44 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
It's been noted that among the most ardent supporters of the car are those who have had the benefit of actually driving it! As far as I can tell, from posts as well as several different PM convos offline, all with real world and track mileage are going to wait for the fix. No one is "happy," of course--BUT the car is worth the wait. That's what I gather. But, in case I'm overlooking silent parties, I wanted to know if there is anyone out there who has had the opportunity to take delivery and really rack up some miles who (at this point--pending a possible lengthy fix...) disagrees and plans on walking. Just curious. Thanks.
You know where I stand ! It's EPIC!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:38 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomTom77

Funny side story: my Porsche dealer got very upset with me when they found that I tried to sell my car (above sticker, if I could) and took me off the list for the RS. When I told them that the only reason that I was selling the car directly was because they delivered it 6 months late, I got no answer. And when I explained that if I would have driven the GT3 for 6 months as planned, sold it myself (at whichever price) and ordered the RS, they would have loved me... no answer again. I guess Porsche ownership in Dubai is just not meant to be for me, which is very sad, because I do like their (sport) cars!
No worries. My name is clear with Naboodah. I'll order an RS and immediately transfer it to you upon delivery for no profit. lol!

The RS may be a bit too stripped down for my taste for a street car. More your style though.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:18 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Originally Posted by aamersa
No worries. My name is clear with Naboodah. I'll order an RS and immediately transfer it to you upon delivery for no profit. lol!

The RS may be a bit too stripped down for my taste for a street car. More your style though.
Thanks for the offer. But I'll get my wife to order one on her name in Abu Dhabi if I really want one... it doesn't look like it though!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 AM
tmg57
Racer

Originally Posted by neanicu
And here we go again to the Manual/PDK thing. Forget it,I say...it's dead and buried....
So you'll be changing your signature????
Old 03-12-2014, 10:03 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
So you'll be changing your signature????

I'll keep that for now... Plus it is DOT approved,since it contains a safety message.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm returning mine if the fix is a new engine, or other invasive procedure. Or, if I haven't gotten a definitive response from Porsche by the end of the week. Had it since 12/23/13.

I'm optimistic the dealer or Porsche will honor the return, but wont hesitate to invoke the lemon law if I get any pushback.

It's a really nice car, but in the end, just another car, and not worthy of brain damage or financial risk. I'd consider a 2015 after the dust settles.

Last edited by Bluehinder; 03-12-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:11 AM
savyboy
Drifting

So now I own a car that I cannot sell, drive nor even look at and no outlook on a quick resolution.
Wow
Old 03-12-2014, 11:27 AM
mhh
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm probably one of the few that plans on walking, but that has nothing to do with the current issues.

I thought I had it all figured out. I would take delivery of my GT3 in August or September 2013 and drive it until my long awaited 458 Speciale would arrive somewhere in Q1 2014. At that time, I'd sell my GT3 (simply I'm not doing enough fun-miles to justify keeping both, next to the 1M) and order an RS, just in case my first Ferrari wouldn't turn out as special(e) as I expected it to be.

Reality: the GT3 didn't arrive until February, only 1 week prior to the 458 Speciale delivery. So rather than racking up a couple of (running-in) miles on the Porsche, I decided that I'd keep the Fiat and sell the GT3 straight away. Why? Because owning and driving a Ferrari (hard!) was an itch that needed to be scratched, because I was pretty sure the Speciale would be epic and also because of the dreadful experience with the Porsche dealer throughout the process, which was a bitter contrast with the great treatment at the Ferrari dealer.

Funny side story: my Porsche dealer got very upset with me when they found that I tried to sell my car (above sticker, if I could) and took me off the list for the RS. When I told them that the only reason that I was selling the car directly was because they delivered it 6 months late, I got no answer. And when I explained that if I would have driven the GT3 for 6 months as planned, sold it myself (at whichever price) and ordered the RS, they would have loved me... no answer again. I guess Porsche ownership in Dubai is just not meant to be for me, which is very sad, because I do like their (sport) cars!

When the stop-sale was announced, my car wasn't sold yet. So now I own a car that I cannot sell, drive nor even look at and no outlook on a quick resolution. Which is a bit annoying, but hey, you win some, you lose some! I'll see what happens, because unlike the USA, I don't expect the local dealer to allow people to give their cars back. Unless it's part of a global blanket package out of PAG, maybe?

The good news: the 458 Speciale is indeed epic: very hard-core and pure. Probably even more so than my old 997.1 GT3 RS. I've got my first track-day this weekend, I cannot wait!
You are possibly the only person here to have owned both the 991 GT3 and Speciale. Would you please share your thoughts on how they compare?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Originally Posted by mhh
You are possibly the only person here to have owned both the 991 GT3 and Speciale. Would you please share your thoughts on how they compare?
Sure, but I've driven my GT3 only very briefly. Here it goes:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...s-458-a-6.html
Old 03-12-2014, 12:33 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So far--to recap--only Bluehinder and TomTom will be bidding farewell to their GT3s. And TomTom has a Speciale!
Old 03-12-2014, 12:47 PM
frayed
Race Car

Interesting thread and great to hear from folks who dig the car despite all this chaos.

It seems to me that most of the negativity and outrage are stirred up by people who have never driven the car. TomTom's return is predictable and understood given the fact that he's pimping a Speciale. I consider that a special case, particularly since he decided to sell it before the stop sale.

So Bluehinder stands alone as a current owner who will dump the car as his enthusiasm for it does not outweigh the financial risk. So far.

Mine is still stuck somewhere in the motherland. I intend to still take delivery. I'm not interested in waiting for another allocation (if I could even get one) or waiting for the RS (if I could even get one).
Old 03-12-2014, 12:48 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^This is where I am also.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

frayed,

It's really not the financial risk, more at some point enough is enough. That's this Saturday for me.

I try not to romanticize inanimate objects, it's just a another car, and I want to get on with driving.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:02 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

^ I feel sorta the same way, I guess. I will wait this out til maybe end of the month...the weather here still sucks.

I will not wait longer than that because I want to drive something more edgy than a 991 c2s.

I have no problem with whatever solution is decided upon. I just won't wait very long for it.

I'll simply come back to a gt3 at a later date...
Old 03-12-2014, 01:08 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
frayed,

It's really not the financial risk, more at some point enough is enough. That's this Saturday for me.

I try not to romanticize inanimate objects, it's just a another car, and I want to get on with driving.
Oh, you said financial risk and 'brain damage' above, the second part I didn't understand so I focused on the money side of your decision.

So stated another way, your enthusiasm for the car doesn't outweigh the displeasure of this whole engine fiasco.

I get that. But it begs the question, if we weren't all here conversing on the internet on and on about our massive first world problem (currently unresolved 9a1 engine issues in our new toys), would you still be unhappy enough to ask for a refund? I think forums like this, while generally enriching the ownership experience of cars, also amplify the negative; I see this as a Defcon 3 situation turned into Defcon 1. IMO.

I've taken a huge step back and looked at the situation a bit more holistically. From my vantage point, age, net worth, job demands, kids' ages, other toys to play with, and potential downside of a 2014 'tainted' GT3, I am leaning to take the risk of ownership to get my car. To me, while under warranty, the only tangible risk is high depreciation. I'll take that risk b/c I don't think it will happen, depending on the nature of the problem and the nature of the fix.

Quick Reply: Owners who took delivery